275/70-18 tires on 5000lbs Nissan Frontier for expedition and medium rock crawling

projected

Adventurer
I'm considering 275/70-18 tires for my Frontier.

My reasoning is as follows:

- I originally wanted 255/85-16 but the this size is limited to few MT tires and Cooper ST Maxx (in between an AT & MT)

- I am slightly concerned about on pavement handling with the narrow 255 width and 85 tall sidewalls on pavement

- 255/85-16 are difficult to source and almost always require ordering, not good if on a trip

- 275-70-18 seem to be readily available in many AT and MT treads, my choices in this size appear to be endless

- I'm sure the 275/70-18 will handle much better on pavement

My main concern with going with this size is airing down and rock crawling in NM, CO, UT, AZ, etc. I don't think I would want/need to drive much more difficult than Pearl Pass which I have already done in my Frontier without issue.

My truck currently has Shrockworks steel front and rear bumpers, winch, Shrockworks full skids, 3" lift, snugtop with James Baroud RTT, Fridge, winching equipment, etc. When I'm setup for camping I'm fairly heavy with my mods and camping gear. I added up about 800-900 lbs above stock when loaded.

I see that quite a few Disco and Land Cruiser guys use this size. But there are many people that claim that 16's and even 15's are the only way to go.

- Is the lower sidewall height (in relation to 285/75-16 & 255/85-16's) worth worrying about for my described off road use. I hate driving off road without airing down (I usually drop to about 20lbs on BFG's AT KO's I have run on previous trucks)?

- Does the on road performance outweigh the loss in off road performance (This is my DD so on road is a much larger % of use than off)

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

projected

Adventurer
I forgot to mention the 275/70-18 specs, depending on brand this is roughly it:

33.0" to 33.4" in height and on a 8" rim 10.9" to 11.1" for width. Which compares favorably to 255/85-16.

skeeter06

Observer
The only issue I see is your rock crawling and not near enough sidewall. I run 295/70/18s on my H3 and I do alot of rock crawling type offroading, and I am borderline on my sidewall. The tires measure out to 34.5"

projected

Adventurer
The only issue I see is your rock crawling and not near enough sidewall. I run 295/70/18s on my H3 and I do alot of rock crawling type offroading, and I am borderline on my sidewall. The tires measure out to 34.5"

So you are about 1/2" taller sidewalls than what I'm looking at and feel you don't have enough sidewall. Hmmmmm....

Mo4130

Adventurer
Well realistically when was the last time effed a km2 to the point of not being able to come home? You'll have a spare. Doesn't seem worth the added cost of rims at the expense of decreased off road performance. You're gonna want a load e.

Zeep

Adventurer
Well realistically when was the last time effed a km2 to the point of not being able to come home? You'll have a spare. Doesn't seem worth the added cost of rims at the expense of decreased off road performance. You're gonna want a load e.

^^^ My line of thought as well!!!

projected

Adventurer

I've never had KM2's only AT KO's. I didn't mention this but I'm probably going to get a second set of wheels so I can run dedicated snow tires in the winter so the extra cost for wheels is not really a factor. I was interested in the narrower width 33" and larger selection of available treads with the 18" size. If I go to a wider 285/75-16 my choices increase to basically unlimited.

That being said I'm leaning toward sticking with 16's anyway, possibly 17's, but most likely 16's.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.

Plus if you are really worried about that then you would probably have a repair kit and a source of air for any tires that get damaged.

It kinda sounds like you already have your mind made up though.....

projected

Adventurer
Plus if you are really worried about that then you would probably have a repair kit and a source of air for any tires that get damaged.

It kinda sounds like you already have your mind made up though.....

Yes I carry a full size spare tire, Viair compressor, and Safety Seal tire plugs but that has nothing to do with my original concern. My question was regarding how the lower sidewalls on a 275/70-18 would work off road.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Yes you will see a reduction in off road performace. Your side flex is going to minimal and you will run a higher chance of damaging your sidewall. Anything realistically over a 16 MAYBE 17 inch rim for off road is purely for pavement pounding street queens. Don't pick a rim based on superfluous tire choices when half of them are terrible and let's be honest no fully loaded/overloaded trail rig is going to handle well on the road.

projected

Adventurer
Yes you will see a reduction in off road performace. Your side flex is going to minimal and you will run a higher chance of damaging your sidewall. Anything realistically over a 16 MAYBE 17 inch rim for off road is purely for pavement pounding street queens. Don't pick a rim based on superfluous tire choices when half of them are terrible and let's be honest no fully loaded/overloaded trail rig is going to handle well on the road.

Yes I decided to stick with 16's. I don't think that wanting a choice other than a couple MT tires and ST Maxx's in 255/85-16 is superfluous. I was looking for an AT tire that was a true 33" or greater and narrower than 285/75-16's, I noticed the 18" size and asked a question since I'm in the market for new wheels anyway.

I'm sure that no loaded trail rig will handle well on the road but I'm positive certain mods will make it handle more well or less well :sombrero: Not removing swaybars, lower profile sidewalls, stiffer Load E tires are just a few things that will ad up to make a positive difference. Not considering on road handling on my DD would be foolish.

Also based on math the sidewall height of the 285/70-18 is approximately 6.9" and the stock 265/75-16 (which is the size you and I are both running) is approximately 7". Another reason why I asked for opinions on the 18" size.

Last edited:

Mo4130

Adventurer
I think you made a good choice sticking with the 16s. And yea you're right, the tire choices in the 255 area are limited but overall you're gonna see better perorfmance with a 16 inch tire with consideration to both on/off road driving.

But enough about that post the pics!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94