What recovery tools would you never go without?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Seems like you're set for back roads exploration. Max trax would be good for muddy roads. The thing about having a hi-lift is that unless your rig is setup to be raised by a hi-lift, its pretty much useless. A winch would be a good addition, but that's about it. You should take your local weather and environment in mind though when going exploring. Definitely take a phone with you, or radio, depending on reception.

Tappet

Observer
If comes to just Recovery- Shovel, Snatch strap

If you want to a add to keep it going/running that's a whole different area. In a way I guess you can lump that into recovery.

-Some Basic Tools
-Emergency repair tape
-Heavy gauge fencing wire, and pliers
-Jumper leads
-Some sort of emergency repair epoxy stuff.
-Really good cable ties
-Plenty of water for a coolant leak, just keep pouring it in till help.
-Plenty of oil for a an oil leak, just keep pouring it in till help.
-Be a lateral thinker with mechanical/electrical aptitude.
-If all else fails, communications of some kind to get help.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Had no winch on a pickup I owned for at least 10 years. No limited slip or locking diffs either... Of course, I got it stuck... While I was alone, up on a remote dirt road. The snatch strap was useless without another vehicle.

The hi-lift jack and shovel, and a long workout session, saved the day. Jacked the truck up enough to build up rocks underneath the front tire. A bottle jack wouldn't have worked. No where to put it, but the 60" hi-lift earned it's keep that day. One of the few times in 20+ years of owning it that the doggone thing actually came in handy.

Shovel & hi-lift are important. And... Save up for a winch. Decent ones aren't all that expensive anymore. I've got one on my Jeep now. The winch and good tires were the first things I did to the new Jeep a couple of years ago.

Regards, CW

libarata

Expedition Leader
The title kind of speaks for itself! I am trying to put together a roof basket or cargo box that I can easily transfer from vehicle to vehicle when I go out. The question is what do I need to carry. Im looking for some insight from experienced guys like you, to see what you actually use and what is pointless extra weight.

It would be for:
2008 toyota tundra (5000lbs+)
1959 willys wagon (under 5k)

I have no winch on either vehicle and I am currently running stock bumpers on the tundra. The wagon has steel round tube bumpers front and rear. Both have heavy duty receiver hitches.

I plan on using a long rectangular basket (7'x2') from rhino rack so I can still have room for kayaks or the canoe up top.

What do you think?

A few sticks of dynamite, and everything ARB makes... duh

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Had no winch on a pickup I owned for at least 10 years. No limited slip or locking diffs either... Of course, I got it stuck... While I was alone, up on a remote dirt road. The snatch strap was useless without another vehicle.

The hi-lift jack and shovel, and a long workout session, saved the day. Jacked the truck up enough to build up rocks underneath the front tire. A bottle jack wouldn't have worked. No where to put it, but the 60" hi-lift earned it's keep that day. One of the few times in 20+ years of owning it that the doggone thing actually came in handy.

Shovel & hi-lift are important. And... Save up for a winch. Decent ones aren't all that expensive anymore. I've got one on my Jeep now. The winch and good tires were the first things I did to the new Jeep a couple of years ago.

Regards, CW

You can even bypass the winch if you must with a highlift as long as you have the top tooth. I would hook to it with a shackle through the hole in it though.

olly hondro

mad scientist
I've only tried to use the high-lift jack to raise the vehicle on two occasions. I learned that its dandy if the task is to lift the vehicle so that it moves to one side, 'cause thats what happened : Got jacked up to about 2/3 height on the jack then the whole vehicle leaned over. To change a tire, a bottle jack is a better tool.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I've only tried to use the high-lift jack to raise the vehicle on two occasions. I learned that its dandy if the task is to lift the vehicle so that it moves to one side, 'cause thats what happened : Got jacked up to about 2/3 height on the jack then the whole vehicle leaned over. To change a tire, a bottle jack is a better tool.

You have to be careful about HOW you use them. Probably an unseen factor or improper placement. I like to use an axle strap wrapped around something to lift from. If using it on a tire I wrap the strap right around a spoke. Once the tire is off the ground I stuff a jack stand under it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles