What recovery tools would you never go without?

amo292

Adventurer
The title kind of speaks for itself! I am trying to put together a roof basket or cargo box that I can easily transfer from vehicle to vehicle when I go out. The question is what do I need to carry. Im looking for some insight from experienced guys like you, to see what you actually use and what is pointless extra weight.

It would be for:
2008 toyota tundra (5000lbs+)
1959 willys wagon (under 5k)

I have no winch on either vehicle and I am currently running stock bumpers on the tundra. The wagon has steel round tube bumpers front and rear. Both have heavy duty receiver hitches.

I plan on using a long rectangular basket (7'x2') from rhino rack so I can still have room for kayaks or the canoe up top.

What do you think?

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I keep a few shackles, one snatch block (only one I have...) , a small folding shovel (smittybuilt) and a few tow straps. one is a cheap strap that is about 12-15 feet long, one is a 20 footer, and the other is a 40 footer. I also keep my high lift with me too, but its tucked away in the bed. I dont care if other people see it or not. I plan on getting some more gear, such as another snatch block, and maybe a few more shackles. Biggest thing I need to do now is get more tow points on the front of my truck... I had a hook break off (bolted on) on my last offroad trip, and only have one factory tow point left. On the back all I have is a 40,000 lb hook in the reciever hitch.

All that stuff stays in the truck, and it drives my wife NUTS!!!

Desert Dan

Explorer
Strap, Shovel and High-lift Jack

Jumper cables, basic tools tire plugs and compressor too and some ER and survival supplies.

On long trips a tool kit and full size shovel.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Well a Jack of some kind should live in every car or truck, so I won't count that.

With no winch and a fairly stock truck, I'd say the ONE tool I would bring would be a shovel.

And if you are going to depend on a shovel as your one tool, then bring a GOOD shovel. Not a little folding shovel, a real one that you can move 1000 pounds of dirt and gravel with if you needed to.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Shovel, tow straps, chain, shackles (at least 2 or 3), snatch block, tree saver, jumper cables, lift rope, and a winch of course. I also take most of my hand tools, and a dremel with a converter to power it. Its amazing what you can do with that little thing. Sure beats a hack saw for most things. Heavy leather work gloves are good too and I'm not talking soft mechanics gloves.

I have no plans on getting a hi-lift. It won't work with my bronco as it is. A small bottle jack works wonders. For camping, I also throw in a small hand saw and an ax.

A tarp is another item you should add. Something heavy duty. Tarps are multipurpose trail tools. Shelter/shade, poncho, water bag and work mat.

First aid kit is a must on any trail vehicle and should include more than just bandaids. It should be able to help with up to broken bones and severe bleeding, at least until professional help is available.

trailscape

Explorer
I keep a basic set of tools in the sizes needed for my vehicle. A "recovery box" containing a multimeter, jumper cables, multi-tool, straps, snatch block, gloves, rope, tire repair kit, extra first aid kit. I also keep an air compressor, a humvee jack because I like the base and it's one compact jack that seems to actually work well. Some blocks of wood, hatchet, small shovel, and a rubber welcome mat. I have a hi-lift, but find it's more useful for my trailer so I keep that bolted to it for quick tire changes.

verdesardog

Explorer
My truck has the OEM jack, the only other thing I would NEVER go with would be a shovel.

However my truck has a hydraulic 10.5k# winch on the front and lots of recover gear in the dog bed (tool box) in the bed.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Brain.

All that hardware is worthless and dangerous without knowing how to use it properly.

Not quite so...over the years I came across some people while riding my bike occasionally ladies who had the equipment on board and I was able to rescue them...one didn't even know the winch control was in the glove box!

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Not quite so...over the years I came across some people while riding my bike occasionally ladies who had the equipment on board and I was able to rescue them...one didn't even know the winch control was in the glove box!
I'd agree with this. Having the tools makes it easier for others to assist if needed.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Anyone carry an inverter? I am looking into a small 1k watts or so inverter that can charge batts and power some small 110vac electronics.

When the OP asked what tool, how far out and for how long are we going?

WSS

amo292

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I understand all that stuff is good to carry when out purposefully adventuring but I would really like to know what do you never leave home without? I don't know about all of you but Im one who tends to end up exploring when I never really intended to. Sometimes I go to work and on the way home end up way out in the middle of no where because I noticed a neat side road. Does that shift your thinking any? What never leaves your truck?

So far I carry:
stock jack system (seems pretty decent)
tow strap
collapsable shovel
heavy gauge jumper cables
some sections of rope

Would it be worth the extra weight to carry a full size shovel, hilift, maxtraxs, etc?

WSS I do actually carry an inverter. Has come in handy a few times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier