Pintle Vs. Standard ball Hitch what are your thoughts?

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
For now I have no need for a max coupler type setup on my trailer. As a disclaimer I never wheeled a trailer.

I will use the M101 for mostly fire roads and highways.

What are your thoughts on Pintle set ups vs a regular ball hitch?

All insight is appreciated

erk469

It depends on where you are going with it, I use a ball hitch because of a few things, I don't wheel that much, I only go on beaches, campgrounds and mostly flat grounds. Just my .02

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
ball hitch = on road
pintle hitch = off road

For fire roads and highways, I would go with the ball hitch.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Both 2" ball for road travel Lunette for off road.

My Pintle of choice has a cast in 2" ball.

Attachments

• DSC05005.JPG
    DSC05005.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC05004.JPG
    DSC05004.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC04953.JPG
    DSC04953.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC05022.JPG
    DSC05022.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC05437.JPG
    DSC05437.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC05178.JPG
    DSC05178.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC05444.JPG
    DSC05444.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 110

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Short of having the option to change like above (very cool) I would not want a ball. I thought I would switch to max coupler or similar but I have grown used to the pintle. It does not bother me at all on the road I rarely hear it. Off road...yes. It clunks. A lot. But I'm used to it. And it's paid for. And it works. That's why I keep it! :)

Phoenix

Adventurer
Short of having the option to change like above (very cool) I would not want a ball. I thought I would switch to max coupler or similar but I have grown used to the pintle. It does not bother me at all on the road I rarely hear it. Off road...yes. It clunks. A lot. But I'm used to it. And it's paid for. And it works. That's why I keep it! :)

I endorse this message. Some day I'll move to a max coupler, but there are other priorities and the pintle hitch works.

My apologies for not answering the question. Pintle gives you both options at the cost of some clunking.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Went through some struggle in the beginning as well.....post #12 has an interesting photo relating to articulation with a Bulldog coupler that I ended up using on my utility trailer. The camper has a Max Coupler. Although I haven't towed in into extreme conditions, I would rather have than not need it vs. need it and not have it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/42627-Missing-the-Mark

No clunking for this kid.

Here is the utility trailer as it sits with the tongue modification and the Bulldog coupler

m116a2.jpg

Last edited:

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I use both also. the lunette is mounted on my trailer and under it I have a receiver tube that i have a standard 2" hitch on that i can quickly remove and go to pintle. sorry no pics, i have to take more pics of my rig. highdesertranger

luk4mud

Explorer
If you are absolutely positive that you will never hit a bump at speed and never be on any sort of twisty off camber grade that might cause a ball to pop off, stick with the ball. Ball is fine on pavement ... usually.

brussum

Adventurer

I'm with this as well^^. I have a pintle and it works great. It's over-engineered and leaves me worry-free regardless of terrain or conditions. My setup is similar to Mark Harley's where I can swap out to a ball if I want. But for now, the pintle works and the occasional banging doesn't bother me. The trailer brakes do a good job of keeping tension on the hitch so it doesn't bang around too much.

JPNCA

Adventurer
Grew up camping out of a Bantom trailer with a 2" ball coupler. Never had any trouble with it. Even rolled the trailer on the dusey trail in the 80s.
I have a 416 with a call coupler that my family uses.
Our off roading is california mountains and deserts
I will say the military trailers I referred to have a rotation built into the tounge which helps with side to side movement
Just my opinion

137.jpg

138.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have a custom coupler that will rotate in a similar fashion to a max coupler...but I need to tweak it a little. In the meantime I use a ball hitch on my extended lunette custom tow thingy (not really sure what to call it)?? Frankenhitch?

I agree with what JPNCA said, the lunette on the military trailers rotates in the housing, and will rotate even with the 2" ball hitch. I use it in this configuration most of the time, as I am Captain Fire Road so far. lol I also have the Frakencoupler to re-install as soon as I work out the washer issue (need it machined down a little for free rotation).

For now, this works out good.

For now setup

Frakencoupler

I used the Lunette for a year or so. Works good, LOUD and annoying to back up. I think they are an excellent and rugged design, and if you dont "need" to change it, dont. I needed to lengthen the tongue so I could open my rear tire swing out with the trailer attached, so using the stock lunette was not an option. I did hack the end off of one to make the Frankencoupler...so I am sort of using a stock lunette still. lol

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Grew up camping out of a Bantom trailer with a 2" ball coupler. Never had any trouble with it. Even rolled the trailer on the dusey trail in the 80s.
I have a 416 with a call coupler that my family uses.
Our off roading is california mountains and deserts
I will say the military trailers I referred to have a rotation built into the tounge which helps with side to side movement
Just my opinion

137.jpg

138.jpg

This is nicely done.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've been using the "Lock-&-Roll" hitch for over 8 years and I can't see the advisability of any standard "Ball Hitch"-

Unless you have a on-road vehicle and notta off-road vehicle-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior