Power tools on the trail

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Just thought I'd see what power tools could and should be taken on a trail ride. Obviously for recovery and repair purposes.

Me, I carry a Dremel rotary tool. And yes, it has a cord, but I also have a converter that I can hook up and power it with. Why a Dremel? Because the cutting disks on it are fantastic for trimming, cutting through even heavy steel. This summer, I had to cut one of the bolts and nut off my bumper so I could get it off and do some other work. Normally, I'd use an angle grinder, but since that wasn't an option that day, I pulled out the Dremel. It took 1 1/2 cutting discs to do it, but it managed to cut through the heavy duty nut and bolt pretty well. I basically used it to split the nut and to do that, I had to cut into the bolt a bit. Anyways, the Dremel did it fairly well, enough so that I'd take it to help do any trimming to damaged sheet metal or even tube structures. Plus the small size and light weight make it easy to bring along, compared to a battery powered sawzall anyways.

So what power tools do you take with you?

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Just thought I'd see what power tools could and should be taken on a trail ride. Obviously for recovery and repair purposes.

Me, I carry a Dremel rotary tool. And yes, it has a cord, but I also have a converter that I can hook up and power it with. Why a Dremel? Because the cutting disks on it are fantastic for trimming, cutting through even heavy steel. This summer, I had to cut one of the bolts and nut off my bumper so I could get it off and do some other work. Normally, I'd use an angle grinder, but since that wasn't an option that day, I pulled out the Dremel. It took 1 1/2 cutting discs to do it, but it managed to cut through the heavy duty nut and bolt pretty well. I basically used it to split the nut and to do that, I had to cut into the bolt a bit. Anyways, the Dremel did it fairly well, enough so that I'd take it to help do any trimming to damaged sheet metal or even tube structures. Plus the small size and light weight make it easy to bring along, compared to a battery powered sawzall anyways.

So what power tools do you take with you?

I bring a set of dewalt tools with me. I have a 12v charger for the batteries as well so powder is not an issue. I always keep my impact gun (with a full set of impact grade sockets, full set of bits, chuck for using drill bits mostly cobalt but some designed for wood, and an angle attachment), my cordless circular saw (2 metal blades and 1 demo blade. This makes quick work of trees in the trail), cordless recip saw (multitude of various blades for any cutting needs), dewalt light (takes the same batteries as everything else), my infrared temp gun (I use this in my shop every day but you never know when you need to know what is going on in your engine bay this will tell me exactly what temps are should the need come up), my dewalt radio (runs off my batteries but can run off a wall, super tough, rain and dust are not much of an issue with it either. Plus you can plug an ipod, phone, or anything else with an aux port into it).

While they are not power tools I do keep a 90 degree air die grinder, and an air chisel in my jeep as well. I will run them off my OBA system. I also keep a craftsman maxreach socket set in bot SAE and metric and ratcheting wrenches. The socket set is great because it can pass over any long bolt or threaded rod. I also keep some short jumper cables and and some welding rods if I need to make an emergency welder from batteries. A hammer, nails (8d and 16d, as well as 16d duplex), and a box of torx head grk screws. Never know when you may need to make something or fix something.

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
Cordless sawzall, several blades, couple batteries. Cuts branches, firewood, occasional bolt or metal. Hint: take a pruning blade for green wood, branches, etc. Cuts several times better than a wood blade. A fine tooth (24t) bimetal blade will handle almost all metal cutting needs.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Battery operated Mig welder

DSC_0340.JPG

Reactions: WSS

Tyrant 66

Adventurer
Anyone who knows me will vouch, I will NOT ever be unprepared. They don't just sit there either. I help random strangers all the time. Trailside, highways and forum members. Here to help!

A man after my own heart, good stuff brother

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Or if someone has some sewing skills you can make them pretty inexpensively. My father has one lined with felt or something like that for his Harley. It works really great.

What are people doing about jacks and jack stands (i refuse to go under something if its not on stands)

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Glad that one of us had a Premier Power Welder on board when the spring hanger separated from the frame on this YJ:

IMG_1315.JPG

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I have OBA, and I while I don't carry it with me, I would still go with my Milwaukee Fuel 1/2" 18v impact over an air impact. If it can't break something loose, you've got bigger issues than you're going to fix on the trail.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-22

I have the same impact. I love that thing it is a monster, best cordless impact on the market by far. I keep that and a regular 1/4" impact driver with me as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne