house battery inside van?

MikeCG

Adventurer
The blue top is the deep cycle battery for RV/Marine use.

I've had several Red tops and ALL DIED an earlier death than standard batteries. Loved that they recovered quickly when winching, but that was about it.

I've never tried the red tops. I have a yellow top now. I had a blue marine battery (don't remeber the brand, but not optima) about 10 years ago. Some how I nuked it after about a year. It was warrantied still, so I went back to the store I got it from but they no longer carried that brand. The guy replaced it with a new yellow top. That yellow top I did drain a couple times (car had charging issues). They are a pain to recharge with a plug in charger, but it always recovered. I sold that vehicle with the battery still in it. My current yellow top is probably about 6 years old and I've never managed to kill it. I pulled it out of my old K5 blazer when I sold it and put it in the van.

dar395

Adventurer
luke-o I have one sitting in my garage, e-mail me "sameally@aol.com, bolt holes are on the left side of the van frame and simple to mount.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I have (2) flooded house batteries mounted inside my van inside vented boxes and have never had a single problem. I do have them charged with a regulated onboard charger as well as the regulated alternator so I haven't ever experienced an overcharge condition. I have spent a considerable amount of time working in the marine systems industry as well and have never had an issue with the hundreds of battery installs which don't have a specific battery vent for house and starting batteries mounted down in the bowels of many different kinds of boats.

During standard operation (charge and discharge) I believe just an area vent at a high point in the battery location would be more than adequate to protect from the build-up of hydrogen.

SG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles