Cummins or Cadillac?

justcuz

Explorer
Engine charts with weights are all over the Internet. Consensus is;
SBC 575lbs
BBC 685lbs
Cad 625lbs

Your 472-500 series engine is roughly right in the middle weight wise between a SBC and a BBC.
No BS, no gun smoke, no educated guess.
With an aluminum intake you will be close to SBC weight, pretty cool for a 200 ft. lb. increase in torque!
Other than lengthening your distributor wires the rest of the engine loom should work with your TBI sensors attached to the Caddy engine.
I would consider a BBC radiator and shroud, I think Larry did it in his Polar Bear Suburban build.

Last edited:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I am going to use the 6.2L diesel radiator. The core is waaaay bigger than the BBC radiator. I have a complete 454 TBI system ready to install on the Cadillac, so the injectors will be right at home on the Cadillac.

justcuz

Explorer
I seem to remember you having the early 4bbl to TBI BBC adaptor so you can run a Caddy aluminum 4bbl intake.
Is the after market intake taller than stock?
As I remember those stock Caddy intakes were pretty flat and could benefit from a mild high rise.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Yes, Edelbrock makes a dual plane intake manifold for the 472/500 engines. That is next on my list to buy. The aluminum manifold shaves about 60 pounds off the weight of the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior