Cummins or Cadillac?

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Goodies for the Woofwagon

This should probably be in the Woofwagon build thread but I'm tired and am not feeling like doing a bunch of editing. I have a Cobra CB with weather band. The other item is a ZT1 mileage computer that is new in the box. It has never been used but I did power it up with a regulated 12VDC power supply to confirm that all the circuits work. It will calculate mpg, miles to empty and fuel consumed. I still have to go through the entire manual. There is a cruise control servo in there that will work with the carburetor on the Cadillac engine. Depending on the space available on the Shelf It, I'd like to put the mileage computer on the shelf. I believe that the unit can track other engine functions like RPM and engine temperatures, I'll have to look at all the senders in the box.

KIMG0897.jpg KIMG0896.jpg

Woofwagon

Adventurer
They're from earlier project/vehicles that I've owned. I was going to install the computer in my '70 Olds Vista Cruiser but sold the vehicle when I found that it had more rusted panels than what I was capable of handling. I flipped the car for twice what I paid for it after putting in new brakes, and going through the 455 that was in it.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Little forum bump. After calling Pacific Auto Machine, I'm going to have them balance the Caddy motor here in a few months and do all the machine work.

I am now saving up money for a rebuild kit once I know the all the measurements on the engine. The tear down should start here in the next month or so, and I'll post pics of the tear down as best I can. I figure that since the engine is out on a stand, a complete overhaul should be done now before it's put into the vehicle.

Better to go through it now rather than have it installed in the truck. Pacific quoted me $200 for a complete balancing. :wings: They can also sonic check the block prior to any overbore. It may be a little more expensive going this route, but I will have the peace of mind knowing that the engine was thoroughly gone through. It will give many hundreds of thousands of miles in extra service when I'm done with this build.

On a side note I'm going to apply bypass oil filtration similar to what is used on large diesel engines. With that in place, it will be easy to extend oil change intervals many times what a stock system could handle and the additional oil capacity certainly won't hurt either. I have a bypass system on my '01 Powerstroke that filters the oil to 1/2 micron. It has allowed me to extend oil change intervals by 5X, from 5,000 miles to 25,000 miles with oil analysis. To say that this has saved me money is an overstatement.

So for now, it's come down to going through the task list for this project and working along piece by piece. Weather permitting, I should have the rack light bar installed and wired up this weekend. Got some other volunteer work that needs doing on Saturday. :coffeedrink:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
KIMG0916.jpg

Purchased some spot lamps and extra wiring harnesses plus illuminated switches for all the light systems to be wired up. I'll have two lights on the rear of the rack, the 32" light bar on the front of the rack and these two spot lamps on either side of the winch. LEDs are so cheap on Amazon these days that these two lamps were only 15 bucks a piece.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I have got to see where I'm going to be schedule wise this weekend. I'd like to get them mounted at least minus the wiring. I have all the harnesses, but I need to make a bracket here quick to mount the switches. I've got a sheet of stainless steel staring at me to make something out of it. I'll use the waterjet here at work to cut some panels for switches and the like.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Finally getting around to the Cadillac engine. Will start teardown tonight. Will post pics. Shouldn't take too long, but you know how these projects can rapidly grow in scale the deeper you get into them.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Well after a while, almost a year, I finally got around to tearing the Cadillac 500 down. So far so good. I'm hoping not a lot of machining is needed on this engine, I guess the measurement process is going to determine that. Regardless of what occurs, I'm having the whole rotating assembly balanced. An MTS RV pattern cam is going to be used and I found a great RV/Towing converter from GM that will work best with the power this mill is going to generate.

Attachments

• KIMG1608.jpg
    KIMG1608.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 26
  • KIMG1609.jpg
    KIMG1609.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 25
  • KIMG1610.jpg
    KIMG1610.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 25

Woofwagon

Adventurer
FYI, I've put an album here that shows more pictures of the engine tear down. I'm going to pull the heads off tonight.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
More pics including "Mjolnir" that I used to get some stuck parts loose.

Attachments

• KIMG1620.jpg
    KIMG1620.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 20
  • KIMG1619.jpg
    KIMG1619.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 20
  • KIMG1614.jpg
    KIMG1614.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 22
  • KIMG1613.jpg
    KIMG1613.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 21
  • KIMG1621.jpg
    KIMG1621.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 22

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks cool Woof but I still get the chills seeing a GM motor with the distributor in the front,,, Whats the big wrench for?

Cheers Chilli..:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior