Lightforce LED 215

Patrollife

Explorer
Lightforce has two things going for it; light weight and tough construction. I've never seen one with a decent spread of light ---- plus the company engages in outrageous/false claims in their advertising. They're not regarded well in the professional lighting community.

Hella makes many decent lights and some that aren't very good. Most of the Cibies are good ---- I prefer the Hellas since you can source them easier if you smash one.

Are there better brands out there that offer the round LED lights and that are IP68 certified? Overland Journal ran a detailed spread in their Gear 2013 issue and recommended the PIA LP570 LED as their editor's choice award. I don't like the look of the PIA and the Hella's aren't submersion proof, which I 86'd right off the bat. I'd rather not put lights on my roof rack, the cargo portion of ARB Touring gives it enough height already. And I want to keep it simple up top. I like the traditional look of round lights over the bars, particularly for the front bumper. I'm not not looking to light up the sky, and the two pros you give Lightforce is all good in my books (and they match my truck better). So if the LED 215 light spread is anything like the ARB LED Intensity, that'll work for me.

I'd still like to hear your thoughts on other lights that I'm not considering.

Sardog1

Observer
Here's my limited experience with off road lighting: I've had some Hella 500's on the front of my XJ for years. Yup, they are inexpensive and most certainly not the best, but they provided decent lighting for the few occasions that I needed lighting off road. My frequency of exploring trails longer than the sun is up has increased so I have recently added a Zero Dark 40" LED light bar to my roof rack in order to spread the light to the sides better. While again, not being a top of the line lighting solution, it was affordable, seems to be very good quality and provides stupid bright light that is adequate for my type of night time "on the trail longer than expected" use. I don't do high speed rally racing where you stand a chance of overdriving what is illuminated and really good lighting is a must so I just couldn't justify spending triple the cash on them. I'm also less concerned about how things look on my XJ and more focused on how well it works. Let us know what you wind up with and for gods sake attach pictures!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I'm close to trying the piaa 570 and their fog light replacements. A friend of mine has them and says they are great. I'm going to take a ride in his truck to see for myself, and compare them to my hid hella 500. I recommend them to anyone on a budget.

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks for everyone's input to-date. I'm still waiting to hear back from the vendor in AUS who carries the Lightforce LED 215s. In the meantime, I've been exploring the options mentioned in this thread. I also found the option pictured below on the AEV forum. What do you guys think of the set up, but with the FJ and an ARB front bar? It seems to be a cheaper option with similar performance.

Full thread on AEV Forum: http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?p=73245

photo 2.jpg

GREENI

Adventurer
I found a Rigid Industries dealer in the UK, Zen Overland, who I bought the D2 lights from. I had 2 spot and 2 flood, they are the best addition to the truck. You get what you pay for, no rf interference on HF radio or stereo, gore-tex membranes to stop any condensation and a simple plug and play harness included.
Simply brilliant, in all senses of the word.
image.jpg

Patrollife

Explorer
Decided to go with the Lightforces. Just placed an order shipped from AUS. Can't wait to have them in-hand and installed! Vendor mentioned they are receiving products for retail sale in batches of four and selling quickly. Ordered the spread pattern option, which is scheduled to arrive at my mailing address by mid September. Will post pics once installed! Won't be until October, though, since I'm on travel for work at the moment.

kojackJKU

I found a Rigid Industries dealer in the UK, Zen Overland, who I bought the D2 lights from. I had 2 spot and 2 flood, they are the best addition to the truck. You get what you pay for, no rf interference on HF radio or stereo, gore-tex membranes to stop any condensation and a simple plug and play harness included.
View attachment 243843

Nice defender. lovely ride!

lugueto

Adventurer

Im glad you have no rf interference on your radios, I get serious rf interference on the VHF when I turn my dually's on. I dont really use am/fm radio so i dont really care much for that aspect.

kojackJKU

I get a little bit with my Hella 500 HID retro'ed. None in the stereo, only in my CB. I don't mind that, I squelch it out and enjoy the wall of precise light in front of me.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Decided to go with the Lightforces. Just placed an order shipped from AUS. Can't wait to have them in-hand and installed! Vendor mentioned they are receiving products for retail sale in batches of four and selling quickly. Ordered the spread pattern option, which is scheduled to arrive at my mailing address by mid September. Will post pics once installed! Won't be until October, though, since I'm on travel for work at the moment.

Any pictures/videos yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior