Favorite cooler under $100

poriggity

Explorer
While the Outdoorx4 write up on coolers was cool to read, the fact remains that the coolers reviewed were all big $$$.. This is a great thread, as I've been researching a new cooler for under $100. Seems like the Coleman Xtreme is the winner in that category.

Outdoor X4 magazine has a nice writeup on coolers this month.
http://issue5.outdoorx4.com/publication/frame.php?i=224746&p=&pn=&ver=html5

I was not familar with the Canyon Cooler brand, but the magazine article was complimentary.

Given that I already own two Yetis and have a self acknowledged cooler addiction, I have my sights set on something much more glitzy:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Under a 100 bucks its hard to beat an igloo marine. I've had one for 10 years and it has scars but has never let me down. Can hold something like 300# on the lid too so it makes a handy step stool around camp.

MOguy

Explorer
The original extreme holds ice as long or longer than yeti . I'm not sure about the new ones. I stopped to pick one up and passed because while the outside was the same as my ancient one, it appears to have much more room inside.

If it is the Coleman extreme from walmart I have one that is a couple years old and it is now good for maybe a couple days if you keep it in the shade. I just used it last weekend. Much if the ice was melted after about a day. It was about 50-60 degrees and I kept the cooler in the shade. It seems to be getting worse as time passes.

I can't imagine it performing anything like a Yeti.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
t have a fridge and a couple of Orca 58s (similar to Yeti, but sized better for my truck configuration). I lived for years with the silver-blue Igloos (their best ones at the time and claiming to hold ice for five days at 90 degrees). I still like the Igloos when the weather is not too extreme, and I have found that their performance is substantially improved by putting a strip of EPDM weather stripping around the inside lip of the lid, and then assisting compression by stretching a bungee across the top, through the loops on the ends of the cooler. I also have Colemans and Rubbermaids, and they are OK, but I'll give the edge to the Igloo. The biggest problem I have with the traditional coolers is the constant replacement of hinges and latches, but Amazon has replacements available for the Igloo. The stainless steel replacements are worth the extra money.

WheelsUp

Observer
I've been happy with my Igloo STX 72. It was right at $100. The 54qt is a bit cheaper. I ended up with it for a couple of reasons. The biggest being stainless hinges, cable retainers for the lid and drain, and the 72qt is rated for 5days. I've not had to test that yet in the field, but it's done well for the shorter trips I've made and has held ice and beverages cold for a few days in the house after. Plus, since my wife is not a fan of how dingy the white marine coolers get after use, I got the REI exclusive green base with tan lid (no longer available). It also can be had with a brown base and tan lid, for those of us that like dirt colored gear :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles