Favorite cooler under $100

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
You could put dry ice in it for over night. Or keep it running in the jeep. Dangerous if it doesn't have a voltage cut off or if you don't have dual batteries though.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
We can't get dry ice here. There is no place that sells it in the whole state to the regular public. I am going to bring some of those blue ice block things and put them in some plastic containers. It will run in the Jeep while it is on, and I will run it a few times throughout the day. Overnight will be the biggest issue, I am thinking I will put it under the trees and cover it with a blanket or something.

Kardolf

We can't get dry ice here. There is no place that sells it in the whole state to the regular public. I am going to bring some of those blue ice block things and put them in some plastic containers. It will run in the Jeep while it is on, and I will run it a few times throughout the day. Overnight will be the biggest issue, I am thinking I will put it under the trees and cover it with a blanket or something.

Just a suggestion, but if you get a couple of those reflective windshield shades, you could probably fashion a decent cover for the cooler that would help during the day. Just don't block any vent holes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Just a suggestion, but if you get a couple of those reflective windshield shades, you could probably fashion a decent cover for the cooler that would help during the day. Just don't block any vent holes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Oh I like that idea, I will see if I can get some cheap cheap ones from hell (walmart)

libarata

Expedition Leader
Toss a few frozen 20oz bottles of water inside, and crack a window to allow any residual daytime heat out. Use the window shields when parked to help minimize heat gathered throughout the day.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I have an 8 year old 65 quart Coleman Xtreme and it holds 3 blocks of ice for 5+ days. My buddy bought a 140 quart Iglo that kept 8 blocks of ice frozen for nearly 7 days with about 30% loss.

grogie

Like to Camp
I'd also say the Coleman Xtreme, and the Marine model that has stainless steal hinges, nice handle on one side and wheels on the other.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I am definitely going to switch to one of those. I wasn't happy leaving the cooler off all night. Plus leaving space for the vent is a pita

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I am definitely going to switch to one of those. I wasn't happy leaving the cooler off all night. Plus leaving space for the vent is a pita
There was an American company shown here someplace that used the outside metal case to disparate heat instead of it needing a fan.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
There was an American company shown here someplace that used the outside metal case to disparate heat instead of it needing a fan.

That is pretty interesting. I think I am just going to foam fill a lid and cerakote the inside and outside of a coleman extreme. That should keep the cold in and the heat out

zimm

Expedition Leader
The original extreme holds ice as long or longer than yeti . I'm not sure about the new ones. I stopped to pick one up and passed because while the outside was the same as my ancient one, it appears to have much more room inside.

SmokeEater2

I'm taking two on my trip at the end of the month, Both were well under 100 bucks. One is an older Coleman 3 way convertible that was $5.00 at a thrift store and an Igloo MaxCold cube-http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/All-Coolers/70-Quart-Ice-Cube-MaxCold-Roller

The Igloo holds ice very well and the Coleman is OK but I'm going to try lining them with Reflectx like the guy in the video does. I already have the material and I like to tinker with stuff like this so I'm gonna' see if it makes a difference.

[video]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SKO-oopGvfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

Link to video if I didn't embed it correctly-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKO-oopGvfQ

madmax718

Explorer
If you get the extreme, make sure its the larger one. The smaller extreme's are only like 2-3 day ice units. It fit my needs perfectly, and will use it instead of a fridge on quick day trips. Just much lighter.

luk4mud

Explorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94