Hitch mounted tire carrier. Yay or nay?

Camelfilter

Explorer
No actual experience with a hitch mount, but if anything I would go for a swing out. Would allow better ease of use for your rear storage. Pricier for sure, but would be worth it IMO.

My Pathfinder had a rear tire carrier (OEM install, not hitch), and it would have just bugged me if it flipped down.

--Hillsboro? NICE! I worked over at Tuality hospital for a short while. I miss Oregon! I'll be back...someday...

ludeykrus

Observer
I've been kicking around this idea for a while, since I'm looking to relocate my spare so I can use the space for a water tank. I may end up making my own, as I would really like to have one that still has a pass through hitch receiver built in so I don't have to remove the spare carrier to use my receiver mounted winch.

EDIT - I only looked quickly at the CBI setup, i thought the tow hook was part of the carrier. Looks like it is exactly what I would want! Would be sweet if it could handle jerry cans...

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Want my tire off of my roof so I can use my entire roof rack for gear. Any of you guys have a hitch mounted tire carrier? Looking at this one since it folds down. Pricey though for such a simple thing.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/products/trail-accessories/fold-down-tire-carrier-premium-model

I have this hitch for my Porsche Cayenne. I had the mount modified to carry two small rotopax instead of a high lift. I am very pleased with it. I they could figure out how to put a gas strut on it to easy in lifting it back into place it would be perfect.

PatriotUSMC

Observer
I have this hitch for my Porsche Cayenne. I had the mount modified to carry two small rotopax instead of a high lift. I am very pleased with it. I they could figure out how to put a gas strut on it to easy in lifting it back into place it would be perfect.

Cool, thanks for the input! Pics of it on the Cayenne? Always loved the look of the Cayenne.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've gone off-roading with people who had both types. Mike (MJMcdowell on the forums) has the CBI drop-down setup on his Ranger and it has worked very well for him.

Ted (Tbars on the forum) has the Tiregate swing-out on his Ranger and on his Explorer.

One nice thing about a receiver mount is you can switch it between vehicles, and you can also remove it when you don't need it.

Between the two I think I like the swing out Tiregate better, but it's about twice as expensive as the drop-down CBI mount. It's also heavier, but from what I've seen, both are equally rugged. Neither of those guys, to my knowledge, has ever had a problem or an issue with their tire carriers.

beags86

Adventurer
build your own.

IMAG0405.jpg
just got done building this one one from an old thule t2 bike carrier i had laying around. have had it for a few weeks now and its no problem at all.

PatriotUSMC

Observer
I've gone off-roading with people who had both types. Mike (MJMcdowell on the forums) has the CBI drop-down setup on his Ranger and it has worked very well for him.

Ted (Tbars on the forum) has the Tiregate swing-out on his Ranger and on his Explorer.

One nice thing about a receiver mount is you can switch it between vehicles, and you can also remove it when you don't need it.

Between the two I think I like the swing out Tiregate better, but it's about twice as expensive as the drop-down CBI mount. It's also heavier, but from what I've seen, both are equally rugged. Neither of those guys, to my knowledge, has ever had a problem or an issue with their tire carriers.

Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LR Max

Local Oaf
Get swing out. Especially if you are going with larger tires.

Had a roommate who had a rear tire carrier that folded down. With a 35x12.50, it was a lot to hoist. It was such a pain he just pulled his duster cover off to get to his stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne