CL find 2002 1st Gen double cab 141K $12,750

austintaco

Explorer
This is not mine, but I search CL when I am bored. It has "supercharged" tags on it. I called and they don't know if it actually is. It also may not have a rear locker. I can't see see if the switch is there or if its just the punch out. Anyway, everyone is always looking for these. here ya go:

http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/4627868866.html

01212_g2Q0lh3ONRw_600x450.jpg

00J0J_9UL6y4lZxmb_600x450.jpg

dnellans

Adventurer
Interesting find - I actually called fiat of austin yesterday who had a 2004 tacoma listed in autotrader and they never called me back, but said it was "red" with no pics. Now this one has a fiat of austin plate on the front. With leather it has to be a limited which means it would have a sunroof too I think. Doesn't look like its actually got the switch for the locker though, so trd stickers might be an add-on. 141k miles is pretty decent though - where do you see anything about it being supercharged?

dnellans

Adventurer
figured since it was close to work i should just go down and see/drive it. here are details - 4x4, not a TRD model (no locker) someone threw the stickers on it, but does have a gen2 supercharger on it. Leather inside, but no sun roof, and no hitch. Drives totally fine nothing loose, transmission doesn't seem to slip at all. The outside is in pretty good condition except that there are two big patches of clearcoat all but gone on the roof, the paint underneath is still fine, don't really know what it would cost to get that re-sprayed. The drop in bedliner has worn the clearcoat off the bed in spots underneath it as well, which is too be expected. The rear bumper looks like it was towed with a fair bit though because its clearly sagging been "pulled" away from the body a bit but its in fine shape. The inside is another story though. The leather is hard and cracked, rips in a couple places, and even some of the door panels have trim pieces that are popped and the snap in connector is broken. The other wierd thing is that it seems like the cruise control might be aftermarket, doesn't look like any toyota cruise I've ever seen. The rims are toyotas but they don't look like the ones that should be on the truck, so might have been swapped at some point.

All in all its probably fairly priced given its condition + supercharger and reasonable milage on it. I'm gonna pass mostly because I don't want the hassle of trying to swap in fabric seats from something else, I know my wife would be unhappy with the condition of the leather and kids would trash it even more quickly. If you're looking for something to be a trail rig and will just throw seat covers on it + a locker from a donor rig its probably a good starting point though!

Southern truck, no rust on it to be found and no major body damage, couple dings in rear bumper that didn't break the chroming and some normal rock chipping. The clear-coat failure is sort of a bummer though.

I bet it sells quickly to some high school kid who wants to be able to break the tires loose at every stoplight - I had fun doing it on my test drive ;)

austintaco

Explorer
It was most likely an SR5 model that the dealer blinged up or the original buyer requested to have leather. The Cruise is like mine. It's made by Rostra controls and many Gulf states vehicles have this cruise added by the dealer.

Are all double cabs geared with 4.10's? I think they are, but early year Tacomas did have 3.91 gears if they didn't come with the larger tires. Something to consider if someone was thinking of just swapping in a locker.

dnellans

Adventurer
Was there no cruise available in the 2002 model for some reason? I didn't look at the door to see the gear ratio actually, so don't know if its 3.91 or 4.10's

dnellans

Adventurer
12,750 is pretty cheap compared to a lot of them on autotrader. If you want a double cab 4wd TRD in california there are people asking 18-22k for things 10+ years old. now THAT is crazy...
but I agree, at 10+ years old, vehicles selling for > 1/2 their initial cost does seem crazy. i've been on the hunt for something for quite a few months now and am starting to think that I should just
buy something new and get 10 years of technology improvement, if only that was in mpg

12,750 is pretty cheap compared to a lot of them on autotrader. If you want a double cab 4wd TRD in california there are people asking 18-22k for things 10+ years old. now THAT is crazy...
but I agree, at 10+ years old, vehicles selling for > 1/2 their initial cost does seem crazy. i've been on the hunt for something for quite a few months now and am starting to think that I should just
buy something new and get 10 years of technology improvement, if only that was in mpg

Agree that is a good deal.

As far as truck selling for what they are. Go look at some older "classic" vehicles. Some of them are selling for 10x what they sold for new. It is all supply and demand. These are still very popular trucks and with the frame rust issues and folks using the crap out of them there are not a whole bunch of clean ones left.

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
Was there no cruise available in the 2002 model for some reason? I didn't look at the door to see the gear ratio actually, so don't know if its 3.91 or 4.10's

No, trucks had them, but there was a weird option package that some dealers passed on and could save a buck by doing it themselves. My truck was a really odd duck on the lot. It was a non TRD with an E locker, all power options, tilt, but not cruise. It also did not have a sliding rear window. The dealer added the cruise and sliding window, and I was good to go.

The toyota tax can be hefty, but it's not as bad on some models. Don't feel bad. My buddy wants a Westfalia, and I have been helping him look. OMG. $15K for a clean stock 1985 camper...or more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz