2009 Jayco Jay Feather into a 2014 Continental Cargo 8.5 x 20 Cargo Trailer

509bercler

Observer
Let me start by saying this was not the original intent, but it was a way to salvage a poor purchase on a family travel trailer and create something unique and one of a kind...so, here we go!!

Our new family camper

Upon further inspection, a really bad buy.

Counter top separated from wall

Come to find out the trailer was in an accident and had apparent frame damage.

Was "fixed" with 2x4's and cheap plywood.

So at this point I am losing my mind and kicking myself for making the biggest buying mistake of my life, with the possibility of just throwing $ down the toilet. I talked to a few RV repair shops who won't touch it and all basically tell me to swallow the loss and move on...which is not in my character. After I have seen how poorly this trailer was built, plus the damage done to it, I decide the only way to get myself out of this situation is to build a new trailer with all the working "guts" on a new platform and the tear down begins.

509bercler

Observer

Brand new Continental Cargo Trailer special ordered with a solid back wall.

All the "guts" awaiting their new home.

New Design Plans

Cargo Trailer with the taped out floor plan...time to get going!

Plywood off

Windows cut and reinforced

Slide Out Cut

Slide out reinforced and 2x2 sub floor

Closed Cell Spray Foam

Sub floor and walls back up.

Wiring harness laid out

Ceiling wiring routed out and ran

509bercler

Observer

Ceiling panels up with interior speakers and lighting wiring.

LED lighting pucks in

Big Day..slide out installed!

Dinette

Kitchen partition

Kitchen coming together

Outdoor lighting and speakers

Kitchen overhead cabinets, finished counter top (10-15 coats of poly)

Head unit and under cabinet LEDs

Bathroom

grogie

Like to Camp
Way to go with turning lemons into lemonade (as the saying goes). It looks like a great build and A LOT of work, but that you've also got talent.

Keep us posted! :)

yj-hank

Observer
Sir you have amazing patience and talent. I would have scrapped the whole thing at the beginning. I can't wait to see the finished product. I love the bathroom counter top and sink. Keep up the great work.

Henry

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Way to go with turning lemons into lemonade (as the saying goes). It looks like a great build and A LOT of work, but that you've also got talent.

Keep us posted! :)

Funny, I was thinking the very same thing... lemons to lemonade. lol

Holy friggin crap!!..nice job!!

I was also thinking this when I saw the first pics of the trailer with issues.

Wow, good on you for making this into something you can be proud of. Nice job, love the layout and the personal touches like the custom counter tops and so on.

509bercler

Observer
Thanks everyone,
I am hopefully within a week or two from finally being done, mostly finishing work at this point. Here are a few more recent pics.

Bottle opener

Sliding screen door

Updated fridge

Counter top and stove

Entry and kids ladder to bunk

Fold down couch

Slide out bedroom/ headboard

Bathroom cubes

sink and faucet installed

Bathroom corner

Back to front

outside

Stove

I know much of what I am doing is not for mass appeal (skulls, turquoise trim/ counter top, etc), but we went into this and decided to do everything how we wanted with the plan to use it as long as possible.

fortel

Adventurer
Okay, someone has to say it ... that bathroom counter top is worth every penny you put into it.:wings:

Seriously, way cool build. Having done the travel trailer thing for a while and seeing just how flimsy and rough they can be, I'm sure you now have a much nicer and well-built trailer than you would have if the original purchase hadn't pushed you down this path. How hard was it to get the rear slide installed? Again, nice work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles