Which do you prefer?

• 1998 Montero

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • 1998 Locked Cruiser

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'd guess 3" body lift 2" suspension, that's a ton of lift. I had 2" body lift and 3" front 4" rear suspension lift and the truck was HUGE, half the time people thought i had 33's instead of the 35x13.5's i was running.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
WOW...You really make a strong argument for the Gen 3 and I know they are hell for stought. The only thing that makes me think of the Gen 2 is the lower buy in and the sliding windows in the back for the dog, also the rear departure angle is better. I know you tore up your rear bumper. Other than that I believe you that the Gen 3 will get out there and do everything I would ever want plus I wouldn't have to fabricate so much.

Really? You must be just considering the IRS vs solid axle. That's a rather minor difference. Did you know a stock 3rd gen can flexes more than a stock 2nd gen? Having owned two 2nd Gen trucks (one on 35s and one on 33s) I can tell you the 3rd gen is as capable if not more so than the 2nd Gen. My rear diff has 15" of ground clearance. My front skids have over 12" of ground clearance (and that's with only 1/2" of suspension lift). I'm still running the factory diffs and the traction control is nothing short of incredible. It is absolutely the best system out there. I do have 4.90 gears and ARBs sitting in the garage for it. These trucks are way, way more capable than people in the US think they are. My biggest complaint after driving many miles off road is the t-case gears are horrible. Seriously considering buying the 3.15 gears.

I've driven my Montero stock through the TransAmerica Trail. Then took it to southern Oregon and drove the McGrew Trail. Then on a 2,300 mile expedition through Montana & Wyoming 4wheeling into different remote lakes every night (several that were straight rock crawling). Went up into Washington (Mt Rainier) this weekend and drove the Naches Trail and some technical trails in Evan's Creek. In total, I've driven just short of 10,000 miles since purchasing the truck in April. And it was down for 30 days while rebuilding the top of the engine. And it's not my daily driver, just weekend adventure rig.

The Montero fits way better on trails than the 100 series (it's a tank). It has better ground clearance, better traction control system, stronger differentials, better visibility, better gas mileage, more interior space. Plus some nice things like: spare tire on the door (no swing out needed), aux gas tanks, huge storage compartment (with 3rd row seat removed), fantastic 5 speed transmission. The driving/seating position is perfect which is mandatory if you drive 12+ hrs.

I've built many trucks: 83 Hilux (on 36" tires, 22re swap, dual tcases), 92 Montero (33s, 5" lift, skids), 95 Montero SR (35s, 5" lift), 86 4runner (SAS, 35s, gears), 92 Isuzu pickup (ARBs, Gears, 33s, RTT, armor), 13 Toyota Tacoma (expedition build over $20k parts). And I'm having a blast with this 03 Montero.

My point is simple. You really need to seriously consider and compare the 100 series to the 3rd Gen.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
WOW...You really make a strong argument for the Gen 3 and I know they are hell for stought. The only thing that makes me think of the Gen 2 is the lower buy in and the sliding windows in the back for the dog, also the rear departure angle is better. I know you tore up your rear bumper. Other than that I believe you that the Gen 3 will get out there and do everything I would ever want plus I wouldn't have to fabricate so much.

Those are valid points too. Note however, that the rear sliding windows are not in all Monty's. I found a Gen 2 SR with the rear locker in the salvage yard with fixed rear windows. I thought that was odd, but don't know much more about it. My 1998 Gen 2.5 with Winter Package (locker + leather) has the sliding windows, and I have used them more than I thought I would.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'd guess 3" body lift 2" suspension, that's a ton of lift. I had 2" body lift and 3" front 4" rear suspension lift and the truck was HUGE, half the time people thought i had 33's instead of the 35x13.5's i was running.

Here's the 95:
02.JPG

Here's the 92:
P5037159.JPG

montypower

Adventure Time!

Yes, my rear bumper is hammered. That's something that needs upgrading if you plan to run difficult trails.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Do you still have the specs by chance, and how was the pricing compared to the OME coils?

It's been a number of years. I think they ran $300-350 for the pair. They will engineer the springs... you just tell them what you want. Such as progressive / linear rate, 400lbs constant weight over stock @ 3" lift. It is a much better solution than OME in most cases unless you fit perfectly within the engineering parameters of their design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier