• 1998 Montero

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • 1998 Locked Cruiser

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Two craigslist ads...which would you choose? The Montero is very clean and only 126,000 miles. But the KBB for it is much less than the asking. The land cruiser has both front and rear lockers and is almost as clean. More miles on the LC and it's not a one owner vehicle.

So which would you choose?

https://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/4550068624.html
00j0j_45I2Ng9lb2M_600x450.jpg

or

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4601073869.html

00h0h_lUwslLD5LuQ_600x450.jpg

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Not a bad price on the 100. They're asking about 4-5k too much on the 2.5.

I'd take the 2.5 all day, every day.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
I agree that the 2.5 needs a better price but the owner is not interested in moving too much on it. It's hard to put a price on one ownership, all maintenance records kept. It's almost too clean to buy then wheel and build. I'm just so tired of looking at rusted out rigs for sale here in New England that this is almost making sense to me.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
I bought a similar 2.5 about 2 weeks ago. 2 owner. 110k. I paid $3k for it and feel like I probably should have given $2.5k.

Is a clean 2.5 worth that much? Maybe, maybe more. They're terrific. Is at 150% above market? Yes.

I agree that the 2.5 needs a better price but the owner is not interested in moving too much on it. It's hard to put a price on one ownership, all maintenance records kept. It's almost too clean to buy then wheel and build. I'm just so tired of looking at rusted out rigs for sale here in New England that this is almost making sense to me.

Wildcat

Adventurer
I find it disturbing that a car was purchased for $40k plus interest and 16 years later is worth $3k.

I would pick the montero

jlocster

Explorer
Montero, @ $3500. Then again, I'd never pay nearly $10k for a car with almost 200k miles, under any circumstance.

If you didn't already, you should post the same poll in the Landcruiser section...for polling balance. It'd be interesting to see if the Landcruiser guys see things differently.

Clem

Adventurer
I really enjoy my Montero and the one in the ad looks like it was maintained much better than mine. If all that maintenance was really done (have the owner post pictures of work orders or something like that), I would give $7K for it. Sure everyone would like to find one like that for $3-4K, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I paid $5K for my 99 w/95K miles and still need to do the timing belt service.

Good luck with your decision!

Clem

nwoods

Expedition Leader
In terms of driving, the Monty is going to feel considerably more nimble and almost spry compared to the 100. However, the solidarity of the 100's ride is a quality all it's own. It just feels like a MUCH bigger vehicle, though it's really not. There is a decent aftermarket support for the Monty, but there's tons of support for the 100..... However, parts and accessories for the LC are nearly twice the cost. You can build a lifted, locked, comfortable, durable Monty for a LOT less than the 100.

As a very tall person, the Monty fits me better as the driver. However, with my very tall family, the 100 is more comfortable for them.

For me, the lighter feel of the Monty, the better gas mileage, and the MUCH lower cost of entry made the Monty the easy choice.

mapper

Explorer
Based on the heaps of research I've done. The 100 will still probably cost you more to own/operate than the Monty, even at the current asking price of the Montero. If the Montero is truly up to date on maintenance, that is worth some real money. A near 200k bargain Cruiser is going to need work, maybe lots of work, and you'll be paying handily for parts/upgrades. If the cruiser is also up to date on maintenance I wouldn't be too shy. I do see 200k+ cruisers all the time, but you have to realize that any vehicle will really be nearing the end of it's practical life around 300k. You'll get a lot more miles in the Montero before that day comes.

Cruisers are nice and from my measurements a 100 series is actually significantly bigger inside. The drivers/passenger area is laid out much better and less cramped than the montero with better storage cubbies for little things like phones, cameras, water bottles. Take a look at the center console area of the two trucks.

I'd say if you want a more carefree driving experience for less $$$ going forward, go Monty. If you want more luxury and are OK with the idea of making the vehicle an "investment" in time and $$$$ go cruiser. Either one will likely be a good truck to own.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I think it's a good comparison, both vehicles are very similar as far as suspension.

I will say if you want the Montero to outshine the LC100 on ride comfort ditch the KYB's or stock shocks for Bilstein 5100's then take it to #11 with suspension seats. Untouchable ride quality.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Owner stated it has the adjustable shocks and they work great. Can you keep them with a lift? Or will you need to ditch them for a longer travel shock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz