No buck XJ build

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
Ok, quick update. Im getting some death wobble and some bump steer. Being that the Trailmaster kit does not make any provision for the track bar and i dont like redrilling the mounting hole, I decided to bite the bullet and get a new adjustable track bar. Years ago i had a rustys snap in my drive way, i replaced it with a rubicon express and had great luck with it. So, im putting in a RE1660 adjustable with the jhonny joint. I am also replacing the upper mount with the re1665 bracket. I thought about just going with the RE1660 that uses the 5/8 bolt inplace of the stock tie rod end style. I have watched these flex and they have a history of coming loose and causing more wobble. The thing i dont like about the 1660 is the whole sheer load of your rig is on a 10mm bolt. But untill i upgrade to hi steer and do both ends of the mounts, there's no point in messing with it. On the plus side, i can allways change to a hiem joint and punch the hole out to 5/8. The big plus of the 1660 is you pull the whole upper bracket and dont have to remove the stock track bar. This means no pickle fork, no laying on you back trying to get the stinking cotter pin out. just un bolt the whole shinannigans and put in the new bits. The RE1665 also has the option of the additon of the RE1670 frame brace. As we are rolling around on sheet metal origami i highly recommend it. I will be putting that in and new stainless brake lines.... next pay day ...

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
The RE1600 uses a 5/8" bolt and if torqued down to 150+ ft/lbs should be fine. Though the 1.25" .120 wall tubing does flex a bit. The RE1660/1665 combo shouldn't flex with it's 1 3/8" .188 wall tube. It does use 1/2" hardware though not 10mm like the RE1600 at the bottom.

I used to work for RE. All three of these pieces (re1660/1665/1670) were prototyped on my old '88 Cherokee. Currently running this system on my '93 XJ.

Last edited:

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
@65 Baja

Nice, those must have seen some miles. I have had both the re1600 and the 1660. both have there weaknesses and strengths. Im not too concerned about the flex of the track bar. In a compression / tension, even though it Z bends they are rock solid. Both RE track bars are quality products. Due to ease of installation and being in the propper horizontal plane and double sheer i like the 1660. Also means no metal bits in my eye when i try and drill the hole (if im too lazy to take the bracket off). When I had the RE1600 I had issues with the bolt. Part of the issue what that under extreme load with 33" tires on 3.5 inches of lift it would deflect. I allways carried a spare bolt just in case of breakage, never did break but it would loosen up. The stock bracket would have a tendency to wallow out the hole.RE specs off of 4wheel parts site say that the torque is 115 lbs, maybe i should let them know to step it up a little. I like the 1660 and for my purposes im sure that the upper bolt will be fine. I have driven up Claw hammer and lower big jhonson trails in jhonson valley with that set up without issue. Its just a lot of sheer load in my mind for that size of bolt. Id perfer to have 3/4 hiems on both ends but that is way more work than i want to put in to fab all the parts. Im not looking to mess with axle brackets and shinanigans now. I have a buggy for that mes.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
Wow, they still haven't fixed the instructions. The torque should be 150. We had it corrected for a while but when 4wp bought RE they must have grabbed an old version of the instructions to put on their website. Yea, at 115 it would come loose all the time.

Are you sure the bolt you received for the top (of the 1660) is 10mm not 1/2"? It's supposed to be 1/2".

I had the RE1600 on my rig for a while. Torqued to 150, with a locking nut at the top and I still had issues. It popped a lot and made a lot of noise. I ditched it and went to a TNT set up. FAR better IMO than the RE1600, can't speak on the RE1660 and bracket. I do love my RE lift though.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
I called RE, they said that the instuctions on line are the older version. They said 150lbs is correct and that they are updating their instructions.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
Well, build for the weekend includes the RE1660 track bar and RE1665 bracket. I will be picking up the brace bracket used off a friend of mine. Those are really no fun to install. I suggest using extra long bolts to get it up tight then change them out one at a time to keep it aligned. I have heard some people have egged out the holes to get them to fit easier, i dont like cutting any metal i dont have too. Next week i will be trying to upgrade my no disco sway bar links to disco by using the RE1187 lower disco bullets and the re1198 quick pins. I think that and stainless brake line make for a non overly ambitious weekend. Ah the joy of bleeding brakes. I have a trick with that, and how to make a home made, one person, less than 2$ brake bleeding kit.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
So, yeah. Good parts. Follow my you tube, not the instructions. They are a little dated. I called RE and they said they are working on updating the instructions. They had alot of improvments. bigger hardware but you do have to re drill the lower axle bracket up to 1/2 inch.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
couple more vids added. Still getting some wobble in the front end. Brake lines and drop brackets next pay day. Planning on Ruff stuff siffners and home brew rocker sliders before goatfest in November.

yossarian19

Observer
Anyone who is going to run an RE1600 bar or the JKS bar for that matter... it only makes sense to use a 5/8 bolt that is torqued properly, no? Spec for a grade 8 5/8 is in the vicinity of 180-212 ft-lbs, not the 100 - 150 you usually see recommended. A single shear mount needs all the help it can get and a proper pre-load on the bolt is a good start...

EDIT: I'd thought 5/8 was 240 ft lbs, don't know where I got that. 180 - 212 is what I'm seeing, depending on the table.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
@ yosarian19

You are correct, the instuctions for the RE1600 5/8 bolt are wrong. I have called them to let them know they have an issue. They assure me that they are working on getting the update in the new instructions. Yes the torque on a 5/8 bolt should be well above 115ft-lbs, depending on grade and thread pitch. I just have never been a fan of the single sheer or working the hiem on that angle. Better to pivot on the bolt axis. 1660 is a better way to go even though you have to get the 1665 to go with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94