Extreme Outback Ultimate Overland Recovery Shovel

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Yes some are bolted and some with a sort of rivet. A clevis pin or lock ring or hitch pin clip would work. A bolt with a wing nut would work as well.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Save yourself the money and go to a military surplus store and get a military issue trenching tools, shovel and pick. Folds up small and made better than any of the other stuff I've seen. For those saying they too small or won't last, your not getting a real military issue tool.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I think a lot of good points have been mentioned above. I have tried using a surplus folding shovel but unless you like bending over a lot or kneeling in the mud, they are not practical for me. One thing I like about the Extreme Outback kit is it all fits in a case at the end of the day keeping the interior of my DD clean until I get home, clean and repack my gear. I have just ordered a pr of TRED traction ramps and I got the case for that. Again I don't want to have to spend a lot of time cleaning (detailing) the interior of my ride. I use a cargo basket when out on the trails but take it off for around town (Tahoe won't fit in garage with basket mounted on the roof). I don't want to have to then mount gear to the basket. I keep my hi-Lift inside as well. I don't want to draw to much attention to my truck and make it a target for thieves.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I think a lot of good points have been mentioned above. I have tried using a surplus folding shovel but unless you like bending over a lot or kneeling in the mud, they are not practical for me.
One thing I like about the Extreme Outback kit is it all fits in a case at the end of the day keeping the interior of my DD clean until I get home, clean and repack my gear
. I have just ordered a pr of TRED traction ramps and I got the case for that. Again I don't want to have to spend a lot of time cleaning (detailing) the interior of my ride. I use a cargo basket when out on the trails but take it off for around town (Tahoe won't fit in garage with basket mounted on the roof). I don't want to have to then mount gear to the basket. I keep my hi-Lift inside as well. I don't want to draw to much attention to my truck and make it a target for thieves.

With the savings of buying the Bully shovel, and a few pins, you could have made your own case. Weight and space savings? Minimal. Status improvement with the idiotic marketing driven name? Much improved I take it. That skinny blade would be useless in sandy areas and snow.

Save yourself the money and go to a military surplus store and get a military issue trenching tools, shovel and pick. Folds up small and made better than any of the other stuff I've seen. For those saying they too small or won't last, your not getting a real military issue tool.

Being as they were from DRMO, I can guarantee that they were legitimate. E-tools were designed to be used while laying in the mud, as flat as you could, sometimes scraping fractions of an inch of clay at a time. Does that sound like how you want to dig out your rig?

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Being as they were from DRMO, I can guarantee that they were legitimate. E-tools were designed to be used while laying in the mud, as flat as you could, sometimes scraping fractions of an inch of clay at a time. Does that sound like how you want to dig out your rig?
Never had any problems moving lots of dirt when needed with mine.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief

All that being from DRMO means is that they were either purchased, found lacking in the durability department, and gotten rid of or that they were USED to death, and sold with barely any work life left in them.

Nobody here is claiming that a e-tool can replace a full sized shovel. All we're saying is that its portable and it works.

BTW, e-tools were designed more with portability in mind than weather or not a soldier is crawling on the ground. The "multi use" shovel is a joke. An AX!? Hammer?! Saw? You'd be better off carrying those things separate. The weight savings are not going to be significant. It has too many alternate uses to be any good at any of them. The kit shovel has too many pieces that need fitting together. I've seen kit shovels before too and like any kit, pieces have a way of disappearing over time. Then what are you gonna do?

The argument we're making is not that these shovels won't work. Its that the $100 e-tool the OP is asking about is overpriced and over named compared to the e-tools most of us pick up from the local surplus store.

One last thing. If you're getting stuck enough times that you are constantly getting out and digging yourself out, you're probably doing something wrong.

stingray1300

Explorer
I have a cute little shovel made by Gerber. Came in the same package with a real nice machete w/saw back spine. I think I paid $30-$40 for the package. The shovel folds and can be used as a hammer. The machete is stinking sharp! Haven't used the saw yet though.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I have a cute little shovel made by Gerber. Came in the same package with a real nice machete w/saw back spine. I think I paid $30-$40 for the package. The shovel folds and can be used as a hammer. The machete is stinking sharp! Haven't used the saw yet though.

Otherwise known as the "Body Disposal Kit".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

libarata

Expedition Leader
"If you're getting stuck enough times that you are constantly getting out and digging yourself out, you're probably doing something wrong." No one said constantly. of the two times I had an E-tool break, was of the 3 times I have been stuck.

As for the history of the E-tool, you have to know a little about where the E-tool came from, and what it was designed for. The portability is what goes with anything for a soldiers kit. The size comes from digging your foxhole or initial trench works. Dig a foxhole with a full sized shovel and get back to me.

Go ask infantry if you think I am full of it.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
As for the history of the E-tool, you have to know a little about where the E-tool came from, and what it was designed for. The portability is what goes with anything for a soldiers kit. The size comes from digging your foxhole or initial trench works. Dig a foxhole with a full sized shovel and get back to me.

Go ask infantry if you think I am full of it.
The E-tool compared to any folding / multi-handle shovel available on the market is just better IMO. It was never intended to compare it to a "full size" shovel. That said, I'm not digging a foxhole to hide in. I'm digging out tires. In my experience the E-tool works fine if you want a shovel that takes up little space.

rotti

Adventurer
In my experience the E-tool works fine if you want a shovel that takes up little space.

And it makes a great one cheek toilet.
I also carry a hardware store type standard D handle shovel....all bases covered for well under $40 for both.

stingray1300

Explorer
Otherwise known as the "Body Disposal Kit".

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I like it! -but shhhhh, it's our little secret-:)

Anything labeled cute is great for the minivan at the mall.
Well, Mr. Better-than-anyone-else, I used "cute" as a reference to the size of the shovel. But as any experienced person will know, size does not always matter. The proper tool for the job is the key, not to mention the capabilities of the one using said tool. It's made by Gerber (y'know, the knife people), and is sturdy as all get-out. It goes in my outfitted '13 F150 (not a minivan at the mall), and it's primary purpose is to dig a latrine. OK?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94