Extreme Outback Ultimate Overland Recovery Shovel

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You can go to your local hardware store and a get a decent garden spade for a fraction of what those cost. Just get one with a fiberglass shaft and mount it to the outside when on a trail for easy access. Avoid any kit shovels that co me in pieces with multipurpose roles. Also avoid steel shaft shovels. They may look stronger, but they don't have any flex winch can lead to the handle just falling off the scoop. I've seen it happen plenty of times when some guy with a welder decided to make a stronger shovel.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Shovel

That solution works just fine with my FJ60 or FJ40. My Porsche Cayenne is a little smaller and has limited space. I could use a GI entrenching tool but would like something a little more practical.

Attachments

• IMG_20131201_122005_554.jpg
    IMG_20131201_122005_554.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 168

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
My family gave me the Extreme Outback Overland shovel for Xmas last year. I was surprised how well made and beefy it is. It is a little heavier than I expected. This means if you have a lot of mud, sand or snow to move, you won't need to go to the gym. I keep mine inside my DD all the time and it fits well. Have not had to use it much since getting it but hope to be out exploring more when I retire soon. It is a lot of $$$ to spend on a simple hand tool.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Price is not an object on something that is worth the investment. how long is it in the case?

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
Pieces broken down (neither of the handles mounted) in the case is 32" long X 7.5" wide X 4.5" tall (when laid flat) because of the cup in the shovel blade.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Cut a fiberglass handled shovel down, and still retain the flex while not paying for an overly stated name. "Extreme Outback Ultimate Overland Recovery Shovel" It is still JUST a shovel. You may as well add tactical ninja samurai supreme tundra wilderness, in there...

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-Tools-8...F8&qid=1408631823&sr=8-6&keywords=bully+tools

Cut the handle down, or strap it to your tire. 100 bucks for a shovel is insane.

Also, just remember that compact, sub-standard sized tools never work as well as their parents. I used to keep an e-tool, but found that there is more power, and utility to the real deal.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Pieces broken down (neither of the handles mounted) in the case is 32" long X 7.5" wide X 4.5" tall (when laid flat) because of the cup in the shovel blade.

So, add another foot, and you have a legitimate shovel. Hell, take that bully shovel add a cotter pin to the handle, and you have the same measurement, except the blade is 12 inches, meaning you can move dirt easier... Also, 60-80 bucks less if you buy a pack of gum for free shipping.

surfwagoneer

Just pick yourself up a military shovel- e-tool at a surplus store. Costs $3-5, small and will work just as good or better than any other shovel that you pay way more for.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Just pick yourself up a military shovel- e-tool at a surplus store. Costs $3-5, small and will work just as good or better than any other shovel that you pay way more for.

Depends on if you actually get stuck. Folding shovels will fail you when you need them the most, had it happen to me twice before I learned my lesson. There is spending 5 bucks on a single use shovel, or spending 130 bucks on the super tactical zombie survival overlanding expedition recovery holy shovel that is just about as large as a 40 dollar American manufactured standard sized shovel.

Buy what makes you happy, but think of how happy you will be when forced to use it.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've had plenty of laughs watching people trying to dig out with an E-Tool, or collapsible snow shovel (in dirt) . Both my FJ60 and FJ40 have full sized shovels. My 60 has two.
I need something that can work and will be space efficient in my Cayenne.

libarata

Expedition Leader
The handle, and I think the actual spade on bully tool shovels are usually bolted on. Shove a cotter pin or something in, and you have a collapsible shovel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke