Extreme Outback Ultimate Overland Recovery Shovel

Aspire

Observer
I have to concur with so many people in this thread: That name is so over the top.

With a name like that, I'd be embarrassed owning one. It's like having a $100 bicycle with "Turbo", "Extreme" and "Freeride" on it, all at once. No thanks, I'll buy a proper shovel. And, really, shovels are pretty flat, so they don't take up that much room anyway.

As for a saw, I would love the Katana from Silky:

400_KATANABOY-403-50-07.jpg

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws...th-500-extra-large-teeth#sthash.cfKRuBpO.dpbs

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The name is a result of marketing. The features are what make the tool attractive. Factor in the import costs and the price is not that outrageous.

The high lift shovel is $ 123.00

The Max Axe shovel is $249.00

MadMedic

Technical Responce Medic
Also I have to ask, what is the head shape that everyone looks for in a good "recovery" shovel?

Sent using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
anybody carry a hoe instead? I'd think it would move lots of material without a lot of lifting.

I do carry a collapsible e-tool that can be used as a shovel or a hoe, depending on how you lock the head in position. Mine even has a pick on the back so you can dig into hard clay with it and then flip it over and use the shovel to rack it back out like a hoe. Normally, I'm not one for multitasking tools, but in this case, because its kept simple and really depends on how you use it, I have to say I like mine.

Since we've also brought up storing/packing of the shovels, how does everyone store and pack theirs? I keep mine mounted on the back of my passenger seat and I mounted it with a canteen pouch. Fit perfectly in there when folded up and keeps it handy. Just pop the buckle on the cover and pull it out.
Its on the right in the tan pouch.
attachment.php

sigo

Don't underestimate a GI tri-fold e-tool. I'm 6"1" and I have dug a 2 man foxhole up to my armpits with a GI e-tool. Also pitched in on an MG position and several other holes with the same shovel. Many GIs used that same tool before me, and I'm sure after me. I've dug cat-holes, slit trenches, hasty fighting positions and filled more sand bags than I care to count. Hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of Soldiers have done the same.

A tri-fold e-tool isn't fancy, you have to put your *** into it to get the job done. But you can work that shovel as hard as you want. Just be sure to buy a USGI shovel, not the chinese garbage.

cwadej

just a guy
I do love the purse (expedition ready of course) swinging about a person's choice of dirt moving tool.

I've brokern wood handled shovels, I've broken fiberglass handle shovels, I even broke my favorite time tested MRE battle spoon. I've never broken, or talked to anyone who broke an E-tool using it as intended.

Take what you want, and know you may need it, so maybe practice with it before you need it. For me, an e-tool lives in the back of the jeep. Of course so does a saw, and of course an MRE spoon!

Last edited:

highdesertranger

Adventurer
so I am a prospector and I do carry a shovel or five. 3 full size digging shovels, 1 half size digging shovel, 1 full size transfer shovel, 2 gi etools, misc small garden size shovels. on the entrenching tools they will do whatever you need them to do, might take a little longer but they will do it. make sure you get genuine GI issue not the Chinese knock offs, they are junk. some one gave me one of those once it didn't last a hour. I have broken a GI issue one too, but I was prying bedrock cracks open. those expensive fancy shovels are for fancy guys with fancy rigs. which I am not and do not have, they are not for actually working. highdesertranger

trailscape

Explorer
This has been my go to shovel for a couple years now. It sees most use cleaning up fire pits..

http://amzn.com/B005Q7CROE
31c54doz0eL._SS100_.jpg

This looks like a good option as well.

http://amzn.com/B009WS7F22
31g7bLYhedL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

For an attempt at looking cool while freeing your vehicle from a snowbank at the local mall I recommend the polished chrome ceremonial shovel. Bling bling!

http://amzn.com/B006GZ29DE
31ABhD7UA4L.jpg

Sure, an e-tool is great. Wear it along with a big green pistol belt, canteen and ALICE pack. Or, maybe look like that ************** trying to pry open the door to a barracks room.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I see the beginnings of the classic "Axe" thread.. Hey do these Extreme Ninja shovels come in Tactical Black? Honestly though, the standard US issue Wildland Firefighting shovel is pretty tough.
Five pages... Just sayin'

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
I see the beginnings of the classic "Axe" thread.. Hey do these Extreme Ninja shovels come in Tactical Black? Honestly though, the standard US issue Wildland Firefighting shovel is pretty tough.
Five pages... Just sayin'

Yeah, but it is not OVERLANDING certified. Heck, it is not even a RECOVERY tool. How could you dig out your vehicle with a firefighting shovel... PFF Probably costs half as much too, so you know it wont look good in a spiffy looking rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier