Isuzu NPS power upgrade

Morg0

Hi All
First time poster - long time reader. Just about to purchase a new nps for a camper conversion and I noticed that the Isuzu NPS and NQR obviously share the same engine however the NQR has is rated at higher kilowatts and newton meters. Can anyone tell me if you able to swap out a factory chip to upgrade the NPS and if so would it effect warranty.

Thanks

Morg0

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Firstly, welcome to the forum...

As far as I know, it is definitely possible to change the ECU for a model with higher power/torque, but there are caveats...
With more power comes greater stresses. You need to ensure that all components in the drive train can handle the extra power. It may be necessary to change out other components as well in order to maintain reliability.
You also said that you were buying a "new" NPS. If you are doing that then I would be very surprised if you did not void your warranty if you changed the ECU during the warranty period. They're kinda funny about stuff like that.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Firstly, welcome to the forum...

As far as I know, it is definitely possible to change the ECU for a model with higher power/torque, but there are caveats...
With more power comes greater stresses. You need to ensure that all components in the drive train can handle the extra power. It may be necessary to change out other components as well in order to maintain reliability.
You also said that you were buying a "new" NPS. If you are doing that then I would be very surprised if you did not void your warranty if you changed the ECU during the warranty period. They're kinda funny about stuff like that.

Hi Owen, actually this changed with the MY13 model. With 08 to 12 models ( and I only know one guy that actually did this) you could swap the ECU and DPD together from a different model. Instead of 155hp you could get 185 or 205hp. The guy I know went for 185hp cause was unsure how the driveline would handle 205. . ........but not possible with the ECU as of MY 13. The new ECU has to have the correct gearbox selected in the programming and there is no way you can select the NPS gearbox on the ECU from the 450 or 550 Isuzus.......the same Isuzu engineer that sorted the ECU swap for that earlier truck told me this so I have no reason to doubt him.

I think you would have more success with reflashing the ECU. I do know someone that can do this......but as you say, all warranty goes out the door. Surely you wouldn't do this with a new truck.

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
Hi All
First time poster - long time reader. Just about to purchase a new nps for a camper conversion and I noticed that the Isuzu NPS and NQR obviously share the same engine however the NQR has is rated at higher kilowatts and newton meters. Can anyone tell me if you able to swap out a factory chip to upgrade the NPS and if so would it effect warranty.

Thanks

Morg0
Hi Morg0,
You can go with either a Stienbauer or Diesel Power module to increase both Torque and HP on your NPS.
Both are tunable although the Stienbauer has to be hardwired ,and the diesel power is just a plug and play. Both dont leave any trace codes in the ECU
I can supply both if you want to go that way.
Cheers Ozzyfishaman

Morg0

Thanks Gents, great info. I have 4.5 turbo Landcruiser and the chip made a big difference. The power and torque of the NPS seems a little low given the size of engine. I am aware that these mods will blow the warranty out the window but it was a two minute job to pull the chip out of my Landcruiser before I sent it in for a service. Ozzy can you give me the increase figures and a price for the chips.

Thanks
Morg0

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
The Stienbauer will give you the feeling of the biggest increase and the out put is about 20-25%,but the Diesel Power gives you better economy and about a 20% Increase
They both work differently to deliver there power.
Cheers

Braynewave

Hi Morgo,

It is possible to upgrade my nps was upgraded to 185hp at Isuzu Brisbane at time of purchase. It was done by the previous owner so I'm not 100% on details but I do have the paperwork at home. (I'm currently traveling to work).

If you contact isuzu Brisbane they should be able to assist.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Morgo,

It is possible to upgrade my nps was upgraded to 185hp at Isuzu Brisbane at time of purchase. It was done by the previous owner so I'm not 100% on details but I do have the paperwork at home. (I'm currently traveling to work).

If you contact isuzu Brisbane they should be able to assist.

Hi mate. The engineer was from B Isuzu and told me they only ever did one ecu swap so your truck is probably the same one I mentioned above. Regards John.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier