Mattress Help

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I need to try something different for the cabover bunk in my camper. The 4" foam mattress (54x80 inches) is killing my wife's back, even with a 1.5 inch memory foam topper. The camper is 20 years old, and the mattress is original. I am trying a full sized memory foam mattress, but it's 8 inches thick, and, of course too short, but it cuts badly into the space above the bed, and just barely allows the top to fold down.

tableoverhead.jpg

I'm thinking about a 4 or 5 inch memory foam mattress 'topper' to replace the mattress, and maintain some space above the bed. Does anyone have experience with this? If I'm going to try a 'topper' as a mattress, how dense of memory foam should I use?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Be aware that memory foam gets harder as the temperature drops. It will be as hard as a plank at freezing.Given your location this could be an issue.

bruue1

Observer
Here's a decent site with competitive prices, might be the best prices for the service you can find. http://www.foamforyou.com/CustomCutFoam.htm
I would get a base layer of 3-5" a firmer foam with a top layer of 1-2" of memory foam. You'll have to read through their descriptions, learn about foam densities and firmness, they are two different things, read some more blogs and make your own decision about what your looking for. This site could glue different layers together for you, and put a cover on it too. Good prices. Good luck to ya, when I buy new mattresses for mine I plan on getting them here.

You might check Froli Sleep Sytems. They make a super cool, snap- together kit that creates a coil system under the mattress and was a game changer for me. I've got an Earthroamer and I had the same experience with the foam mattress. The Froli setup made a huge difference in comfort and was very easy to setup. You see Froli's in yachts a lot. Best of luck.

escadventure

Adventurer
The Froli looks like an excellent option. I would definately try that if I didn't have a euro style bed in our camper. We use what they call lattenrost. It's like a leafspring suspension. Pretty simple if you can come by the parts to make it work for your dimensions.

My wife too has a sensitive back and she sleeps very well with our set up.

attachment.php

docdave

Aspiring overlander
Thanks, some very interesting ideas...and very helpful. I found these guys too... www.foambymail.com, seems a good source for foam, but I'm curious about the Froli bed. My wife has fibromyalgia, so the bed is a problem... an 8" memory foam mattress will work, but it's too thick for the cabover folded down, and it's heavy. I didn't think about the temperature issue, so thanks for that. The bed's a funny size too... kind of a full XL, so I'll have to cut a queen down, or piece a full with a 6 inch piece at one end. It looks like the Froli can be assembled in any size.

homemade

Adventurer
My wife is super picky about the mattress also but she is completely comfortable using a Coleman inflatable mattress. The rechargeable inflators work great, work several times between recharges and deflate the mattress also. Flat as a pancake when deflated, light, I think 8 inches thick when inflated, cheap, ours have never leaked and super comfortable.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm going on 13 yrs with my coil sprung mattress. Northstar must have built the camper around the mattress. I can't figure out how to turn it without destroying the mattress itself. It breathes well. Recently we did add a waffled mattress pad.

Camelfilter

Explorer
The Froli looks like an excellent option. I would definately try that if I didn't have a euro style bed in our camper. We use what they call lattenrost. It's like a leafspring suspension. Pretty simple if you can come by the parts to make it work for your dimensions.

My wife too has a sensitive back and she sleeps very well with our set up.

attachment.php

If folks in the US are looking for a similar Euro style setup, check out Ikea.

That's a part of there platform beds. When I bought a bed 5 years ago, you buy everything separately. Also has the option for "stronger" spring sections, and mine is setup almost like two single beds stuck together - ie one side can be set firmer than the other for everyone's comfort.

I would assume one can still buy just this spring system today.

The head end portions of mine lift up & lock to make for comfortable reading etc. Point being for camper application would be if you had under bed storage - could still access.

-Edit: adding that Froli system looks nice. Lightweight,low profile. Mental note "saved" in the event I upgrade my Flippac to a bigger camper.

Last edited:

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I ended up trying a 2" medium density memory foam topper on the original mattress. I also reused the old low density 1" topper on top. I find it very comfortable, but the jury is still out (wife hasn't been camping yet). I may replace the mattress as well, foambymail has lots of options. I do have a minor issue. The combination of pads I'm using makes it hard to clamp the top down in the front. The angled roof brace on the Heco system presses down on the mattress pad. It works, but it may create a problem. Coincidentally, I'm considering building a replacement top with an arched profile to allow more headroom getting in and out of bed, and more interior room throughout. It might be more aerodynamic as well.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I got the memory foam topper from Walmart before I knew anything about foam densities. It was a bit too hard but a cheap egg crate foam pad on top of fixed that problem. I've never noticed a problem with it getting hard in cold weather but if its really cold I run the heater.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm a little late to the advising, but we have had good luck in both Sprinters with the 5" thick Ikea Sultan Favang foam mattress. It's proven plenty thick and comfy for either me (200 pounds) or wife (140 pounds). It also has, serendipitously, worrked well as a sofa cushion; lots of times foam that works as a mattress is poor as a cushion and vice-versa.

Sadly, if perhaps predictably, a quick glance at the Ikea website failed to turn up our Favang. Looks like the "Malfors" is the closest equivalent. I couldn't offer any guess as to whether it is as good.

sambot

Observer
Self inflating pads

I just replaced the mattress in my Tiger GT with a 3" thick self inflating double pad. It might not be as plush as you are looking for, but 3" is alot more comfy than the camping pads I used to tent camp with. The great things are that with a few puffs on the valve, you can really firm them up (poor man's sleep number mattress:) ). If you want to store things in the bunk with the top down, deflating the pads gives you alot of room up there. http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/a...inflating-air-pads/lightweight-double-air-pad

You can get them for around 175 on line with a little searching. Other companies make other sizes.
Rest Easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior