truck camper vs. small tow behind trailer

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I'm seeking some input. I now have a 1989 Toyota pickup with the 22re 4cylinder motor with a Wildernest camper on the back. My build thread is here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-budget-built-89-toyota-pickup-expedition-rig I love my setup for exploring the backcountry trails that I frequent as it is lightweight and offers a nice, but minimal escape from home. The problem is: My kid is getting ready to go off to college in a year (hopefully on a soccer scholarship which is seriously possible at this point in time) and the wife and I are looking for something that we can stay in while visiting and watching games. I would rather stay in my own bed and have minimal amenities; even if it means staying in an R.V. park or KOA in the city, than stay in a hotel and sleep in the same bed as who knows how many others. My wife feels the same way.
So here is the dilemma. I love the Wildernest as a backcountry setup. It is light and offers a comfortable place to call home when on the trail. Even with my little motor I barely know that it is there. The problem is: it is a pain to set up an take down everyday if you want to base camp for several days and explore one area. In my travels of going from point A to point B to point C, etc., it has been great. But if I go to; Moab, or Ouray or wherever you can pull off a weekend of base camping and wheeling many trails in many different directions, it becomes a pain. The other problem is that I want something a little more year round friendly as opposed to the roof top tent style that the Wildernest offers.
So, here are the options that my wife and I are toying with. I really like the idea of a Four Wheel Campers Finch shell as it is trail-rated (to steal a jeep quote), comfortable and light weight and offers year round camp-ability. I could unload it and base camp out of it while leaving the truck free to trail run if I needed that option. The problem with this is that my wife has a '97 4runner that we use as our main ride and a slide in camper obviously doesn't work with it. Even though this truck is fairly capable on the trail, it is not our trail rig. So the other option is to get rid of the Wildernest and buy a light weight trailer that both vehicles can tow, then we would have a comfortable base camp and go back to tent camping on expo type trips. We want hard sides for security reasons and year round weather conditions but also light weight enough so that my 4 cylinder truck can pull it. I know the last part is a stretch but I don't mind going slow and pulling over for traffic. On this side of the spectrum we are leaning towards more dirt rated than trail rated. We like the small Aliner and Chalet a-frame campers as they weigh in about 1500lbs. wet. We also like the 13' fiberglass egg style campers (Casita, Scamp, etc.).
I hope that those who have had any of these setups will give me their feedback. I need help deciding which is best for me as I see plusses and minuses on both sides. Thank you in advance for your feedback

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
One issue is you won't be able to base camp the FWC unless you can support the floor while off the truck. The floor can't support you just on the jacks.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
In your situation, I'd say go for the trailer.

Loading / unloading a FWC is a bit of a pain about the 18th time you do it. The campers are also a bit cramped inside when you have two people moving around. If you do go that route (slide in), I'd suggest getting one that has the dinette at one end or the other, that way one person can sit down & be (mostly) out of the way of the other.

Our FWC (Grandby) doesn't have an end dinette, & I really wish it did.

Howard70

Adventurer
Towing w/22re

We drove an 87 4Runner with the 22re (4.88 gearing, 31" tires) for many years and we occasionally towed an M416 with it. I suspect the loaded trailer approached 1,000 lbs. We once towed a Santana 23 sailboat on a trailer with it which probably approached 3,000 pounds. The sailboat was way to heavy for an slope at all. The 1,000 pound loaded 416 was fine on dirt, but awfully slow on highways. I suspect the hard sided trailers you mention will all approach 2,000 pounds once loaded with gear and might get pretty heavy for the 89 pickup. I'd recommend that you rent a U Haul for a day, load it up to 2,000 pounds and drive it around behind the '89. Seek out all the hills you can find and make your own decision about it's suitability for a moderately sized trailer.

You could decide to keep the Wildernest and buy a trailer - then you'd use the 4Runner for trailer trips and the Wildernest for rougher country. If you end up with any trailer, consider getting one with brakes. You'll hear a lot about how you don't need brakes if the trailer weighs less than 1,500 or so pounds - however once you're driving it down a steep hill and the light at the bottom turns red as the kids move into the crosswalk you might disagree!

Howard

Last edited:

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I would love to keep the Wildernest and find a small pull behind for those times when we base camp; but, we don't have a lot of storage at the house and my wife doesn't see the need for two campers. But this might be the best solution and it is the one that I keep coming back to. Thanks again for the help.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
If you are interested in the ability to just pull over and spend a night, stealthy, the slid in would be better with light discipline as it may appear a truck is parked, a truck pulling a TT won't be so unsuspecting. If that's not an issue, pros and cons are part of it I suppose, biggest I see is not lugging a truck camper around when nor using it, that's a heck of a daily driver. A TT is much handier, but it can be a pain pulling and backing up, the smaller the better. I'd rather pull an 18/20' trailer than have a large camper. If you're really off road use larger wheels and modify the trailer, like the Scamp or hard body type.

The TT route is high on my list with a 4x4 pickup. Another more stealthy alternative is a modified utility trailer/toy hauler, if that's important. Everything is a tradeoff.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
In your situation, I'd say go for the trailer.

Loading / unloading a FWC is a bit of a pain about the 18th time you do it. The campers are also a bit cramped inside when you have two people moving around. If you do go that route (slide in), I'd suggest getting one that has the dinette at one end or the other, that way one person can sit down & be (mostly) out of the way of the other.

Our FWC (Grandby) doesn't have an end dinette, & I really wish it did.

x2

Good points here.

I'm currently a camper dude, but agree with the above negatives/compromises. I've been a trailer guy in the past.

mkitchen

Explorer
Go with the trailer

We have travelled for three week stretches with our teardrop trailer and before that with a small tent trailer (we like the teardrop much better). You can park it and take off with your tow vehicle and you can even carry a couple of bicycles along without problem. Don't get me wrong, in a teardrop you are still camping. Nowhere near the comfort of an RV but also a lot easier to travel with. So if you enjoy camping, go for the smaller trailer.
A couple of forums you might check out; Tearjerkers, or Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers. Both have lots of good ideas.
MK

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
All I can add is, to go with the trailer. You're in a similar situation to what I dealt with when deciding to build the MuTTT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles