Best tire for the money

Mo4130

Adventurer
Just remember tires are the single most important piece of equipment for the safe operation of a vehicle, and you to a point get what you pay for.

dvsjw

Observer
I called discount tire direct and they were a few hundred less on tires than any local tire stores... You have to kinda dicker with them but they be cheaper.

Put BFG AT's on 5 different vehicles with great results. Used Firestone, Cooper and Goodyear with some disappointment. Recently put new BFG MT's on an FJ and am stunned how good they are. Went through the sand dunes w/o any issue. Airing down makes the biggest difference in sand for me. The AT's will save you with a lower rolling resistance. Look at the European sites as they are mandated to list rolling resistance ratings.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I replaced a set of BFG AT's with BFG MT's about 18 months ago. Wanted AT's again, but none would be available for about 5+ months, so went with MT's.

WOW! The MT's are impressive, quiet, have worn really well in the almost 12K miles of use, they have been smooth, balanced and worn evenly. Off road (including sand!) they have been great, ride well, no cuts or tread damage. Now keep in mind, I have only had them in snow 2'x, but they were OK and I don't deal with those conditions very often, and when I do, I have 2 sets of chains.

For fuel mileage difference, hard to say, but seems about the same on the 60.

I found 33X10.50X15C at Tirecrawler.com for $168.00 each delivered to a tire shop here in SoCal, which mounted and balanced them for $100!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The AT3 is a wonderful tire.
Unless your mud du-jour is clay-based. Then you're stuck.

Just sayin...
Every tire has a weak point. You really need to take an objective look at that aspect and decide where you can live with compromise. Or failure...

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I have had my 265/75/16 AT3's on for a couple weeks and I really enjoy the ride. I couldn't really find a reason not to go with the AT3's after reading reviews and comparing prices.

Robert Bills

Explorer
The "best tire for the money" is an elusive target because dealer pricing, factory promotions and the customer's negotiating skill add variables that have nothing to do with the attributes of the tire itself.

I was about to purchase a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s with factory rebate as the "best AT tire for the money" when I discovered that Discount Tire Direct was having a one-day Ebay sale on the more aggressive 3-ply sidewall Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx and America's Tire would match the deal. I was able to purchase a set of ST/Maxx for only $25 more than a set of AT3 (factoring in the rebate), which made the ST/Maxx "the best tire for the money" that day. Had I missed Discount Tire Direct's one day sale, the Cooper AT3 would have remained the best buy at the time.

jhill15

Explorer

Just sayin...
Every tire has a weak point. You really need to take an objective look at that aspect and decide where you can live with compromise. Or failure...

That sucks, the mountains where I live and will be doing 90% of my exploring are nothing but clay mud.

The "best tire for the money" is an elusive target because dealer pricing, factory promotions and the customer's negotiating skill add variables that have nothing to do with the attributes of the tire itself.

I was about to purchase a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s with factory rebate as the "best AT tire for the money" when I discovered that Discount Tire Direct was having a one-day Ebay sale on the more aggressive 3-ply sidewall Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx and America's Tire would match the deal. I was able to purchase a set of ST/Maxx for only $25 more than a set of AT3 (factoring in the rebate), which made the ST/Maxx "the best tire for the money" that day. Had I missed Discount Tire Direct's one day sale, the Cooper AT3 would have remained the best buy at the time.

Thats a very good point, I didnt factor in that prices are a variable and what might be the best for the money might not be another...thats kinda a game changer.

roxanwright

Solar Servicing
For me, grabbers are great replacement tire for Expeditions. They offer great value for the money too. These all-season tires are rated to handle the vehicle's weight and are engineered with it in mind.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
AT3 for the win.

The AT3 is on my short list for when I will be replacing my tires (possibly this Winter although I may wait until Spring.) Currently my truck is running the Cooper AT-S snow tires and they do very well in the snow and ice here in CO.

Couple of Questions for those who run the AT-3:

First, how do they do in snow and ice?

Second, how is their sidewall strength? Am I right in thinking that an LT will have a thicker sidewall than a P-rated tire?

I'll be getting them in 265/70/17 and they have both P and LT tires in that size. LTs are about $20 more/each but if it gets me a stronger sidewall I'll gladly pay it.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I figure I have some more miles to go with this set- but so far on my Taco

General Grabber AT2 used 2011-2014 and 52,000 miles
Starting ODO 164082 - last gas 216209

I have been happy with them off road, on the road, some snow, and the E rated tires (235/85r16) have handled the weight of the Flippac etc very well!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz