Montero - Gen 2.5, Reduced Power & Check Engine Light

raysobi

Adventurer
Complex

If you kneel down and look under the footing under the driver side, you will see the outlet.

Can't miss it.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Guys, still kinda sorta having this same problem. It's like the tranny doesn't want to kick down to the next lower gear. And NO! The Hold button is not on!

It will kick down if I completely floor it, but otherwise it's content and happy to stay in third or fourth.

No idea how to trouble shoot this. Any ideas?

nckwltn

Explorer
Guys, still kinda sorta having this same problem. It's like the tranny doesn't want to kick down to the next lower gear. And NO! The Hold button is not on!

It will kick down if I completely floor it, but otherwise it's content and happy to stay in third or fourth.

No idea how to trouble shoot this. Any ideas?

does overdrive on/off have anything impact?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
does overdrive on/off have anything impact?

It does work, but not as pronounced as in the past. I really have to have my foot into the throttle, and right after it kicks down, it shifts back up and doesn't stay down very long. If I'm going up a big hill, it will shift down for about 5 seconds before up shifting... Then it kicks down again, and back up... Etc.

It also feels like it's starting out in a taller gear than normal. Just not as much acceleration as I used to have. It's subtle, but noticeable. Kinda feels like I went from 4.27 gearing to 3.88

nckwltn

Explorer
I wonder if it could be something with a torque converter not locking at higher speeds?

There's a blue 2.5 at LKQ in sun valley with the engine already pulled. 170k on the clock. should make the tranny that much easier to pull out if you're looking for a possible replacement. :)

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hmm... Does the Gen II 3.5L have a throttle kick down cable attached to the throttle body like my 1989 Raider 3.0? If it does, I know I can adjust my throttle kick down cable to get it to up downshift a little earlier than normal. This was extremely helpful once I upgraded to 33" tires. It seemed like going up hills was a big challenge until I got it to shift down a little earlier than normal.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

Jay Ayala

Explorer
In this picture of my 1989 Raider 3.0L engine, you can see the throttle kickback cable connected to the top of the throttle body louvre. Ultimately I don't know if this will help or not. I think not because you were describing CEL and loss of power.

1235056_10202702037626550_1215151968_n.jpg

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior