Help me pick a vehicle

Cyclone.1983

Observer
Background info: I know next to nothing about offroading/overlanding ect. My goals are to be able to reach out of the way camping spots whether in colorado/utah/wherever. I enjoy camping in Ouray CO and Moab UT. I am not interested in rock crawling or mud unless it stand between me and getting to where Im going. I will generally have one other passanger and enough gear to camp for a week. I go kayaking at least once a week down rivers so I need to haul kayaks. This is also my DD

I have owned a 2009 JKU Rubicon and a 2011 JKU Rubicon. I loved both of those jeeps. Tons of fun, cool looking ect, however driving them 10 hours from Iowa to colorado just wiped me out and made me dread the drive back. Slight side wind made me feel like I was going to lose control and veer of the road and headwind? Forget about it, I felt like I was peddeling the jeep with my feet. Just last week we went to CO in my buddys Rubicon. Half way there we got off the interstate to drive on a highway due to the wind. I currently drive a ram 1500 as i had to get rid of my jeep due to having to drive an hour and a half daily on the interstate. Love the truck but it doesnt fill that outdoors gap that im missing

What I want: I need suggestions on what to buy. I was looking at the FJ because it has that cool factor similar to the jeep and supposedly much improved on road manners which will be handy due to me having to drive no less than 8 hours one way to go anywhere. Thoughts? Also looking at the Tacoma thanks to this site, with my need to haul kayaks ect it makes sense as well.

Have looked at 4runners but they seem to on roady to me, thoughts?

libarata

Expedition Leader
Have you looked into the ExPo Subaru Forester projects? It could haul your yaks, and has plenty of room in the rear. There are lift kits for em, drive well on roads, and there are a bajillion out west.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have never owned a JKU, but my FJC blows all over the road too. I cant imagine it being much different. They are both bricks, the FJC is just a slightly rounded off brick.

MR.Ty

Observer
I own a 14 JKUR. However, any of your typical 4x4 suvs arw going to be affected more by the wind. I suggest you look into Subaru, they are fairly capable and ahould get you to the locations you want.

haddix

Adventurer
I've owned a 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen dcab Tacoma and currently an FJ Cruiser.
All are great vehicles in there own right and I would own any of them again.
All 3 had similar mods but the FJ will go more places with less mods. It's a great rig all around and the only complaint i have is. Wish the rear window rolled down like the 4runner or at least the rear windows popped open. Other then that it is a great rig but I think the all around best is a double cab Tacoma trd with a shell. That combo is just to hard to beat.
Take a serious look at the FJ though, give it a Nice long test drive. It's really a Unique vehicle to drive and it puts a smile on my face every time Im behind the wheel.
Good luck with your search and remember as long as you're choosing from an FJ,4runner,Tacoma or landcruiser you can't make a bad decision!

Cyclone.1983

Observer
I've owned a 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen dcab Tacoma and currently an FJ Cruiser.
All are great vehicles in there own right and I would own any of them again.
All 3 had similar mods but the FJ will go more places with less mods. It's a great rig all around and the only complaint i have is. Wish the rear window rolled down like the 4runner or at least the rear windows popped open. Other then that it is a great rig but I think the all around best is a double cab Tacoma trd with a shell. That combo is just to hard to beat.
Take a serious look at the FJ though, give it a Nice long test drive. It's really a Unique vehicle to drive and it puts a smile on my face every time Im behind the wheel.
Good luck with your search and remember as long as you're choosing from an FJ,4runner,Tacoma or landcruiser you can't make a bad decision!

I keep coming back to the tacoma which scares me. I live in a farm community where owning a non big 3 truck is frowned upon which who cares except for I travel to customers farms daily. I dont want to be known as the guy in the little toyota truck haha. It really does make sense however. My plan would be to put small lift on or leveling kit, weld up a rack for the back for my RTT and then be able to carry kayaks underneath the rack. Only issue is it lacks the "fun" factor of a jk or fj

Terex

Adventurer
What about the new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon? They've got off-road packages and will offer a diesel next year. I'm kind of in the same position. I've got a JKR and need something with better towing capacity.

KK6POV

Adventurer
What you need is a first generation Tacoma. Problem solved!
1st gen tacoma! best truck on the planet :)
I keep coming back to the tacoma which scares me. I live in a farm community where owning a non big 3 truck is frowned upon which who cares except for I travel to customers farms daily. I dont want to be known as the guy in the little toyota truck haha. It really does make sense however. My plan would be to put small lift on or leveling kit, weld up a rack for the back for my RTT and then be able to carry kayaks underneath the rack. Only issue is it lacks the "fun" factor of a jk or fj
There is a reason they are one of (if not) the most common trucks on the road. They run FOREVER. OEM and Aftermarket parts are plentiful, MPG is midrange to high depending on mods. VERY user friendly, high quality toyota vehicle. (aren't they all)
It made #2 on this list,http://expeditionportal.com/top-10-used-overland-vehicles/ I think it should have been #1 but I am young and like little trucks. With minor modification, (suspension) it is a great vehicle.

Last edited:

Cyclone.1983

Observer
Whoever mentioned the Xterra, good on you. I have never in my life looked at them. Happened past a dealership on Sunday, jumped out and took a look. Seems like a pretty capable vehicle with all options and lockers for around 29k new. Look good and the reliability is good it seems.

However, I have decided to keep my pickup after making a list of things that Im looking for in a "faux expedition camping vehicle" I wanted large gas tank, storage for gear/kayaks, 20mpg or better, space for 4 people. ability to get me to where im going light rocks/mud. My pickup already meets those requirements, so I guess ill just get a "fun" vehicle when this thing wears out. Thanks for all the help.

Paddy

Adventurer
It's funny to me the notion that driving an "American" car is somehow patriotic. Especially since the tacoma is more American than any other car! Designed in California, built in Ohio using more American parts than any cheforlodge. Cowboys love to hate them, but cowgirls just love em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior