Water Purification for Overlanding ?

thefishhawk

Adventurer
We had one of those as part of our rental kit when we rafted the Grand Canyon. Worked great for a large group.

We also thought the same thing; until you start to add it all up. Somewhat cheaper but some of those components are pricey. In particular the UV lamp for that type of purification is something like $400. Pelican case - $150. you are already half way there. Panel maybe $50-100, battery (50), pump (50), and those filters are not cheap (say 50ish for the 3 it uses). You are still looking at probably $800+diy by the time you are done with all the little other things.

great for a large group and convenient, but somewhat overkill if you don't have a really large group on an extended expedition. Occassionally I see them pop-up used, but even then.

i found over here with maybe a bit more info

http://www.ahappycamper.com/products/water_purifiers/partner/index.html

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thats cool, UV and Filter, that will pretty much take out anything it can throw at you. I like things that I can use across platforms, out of my rig, rafting, camping, horseback etc. Good to know, glad you had a positive experience with it. Would it work ok for something like filling up the fresh water tank on a rig? Im sure its only 3-5GPM and probably does not pump it far. Thanks for the link.

99Yota

Observer
I've had good luck gravity fed filters:
filter.JPG

The Platypus is similar to the OP's MSR (might even be the same product) I've been happy with it and can always boil water with a whisperlite if necessary but as I always pack 2 jerry cans of water in the vehicle prior to heading out, it's just a backup.

est1980

@Tsavo_Touring
I've always used a Katadyn, or the cheap life straws, but started using a Lifestraw Family. It takes up some room in the Land Cruiser, but it works pretty well and is really easy to use. I wrote a post about a purification, the Family one I use is pictured here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne