Tacoma TRD Pro vs FJ for pavement traveling

franklantern

Craig Lathem
Been lurking here for a bit and now in the market to get a truck. I am leaning towards the Taco TRD Pro. Primarily because my wrench turning days are behind me and I want something that is plug and play.

I spec'd out a FJ with the TRD options, wheels, exhaust, air cleaner, shocks, etc. and the price comes out to about the same as the Taco TRD Pro.

This truck will see a lot of pavement miles since the areas I will be exploring are a good drive from where I live. I will most likely be pulling an adventure trailer similar the the Overland Chaser.

My question is this for those of you that have lived with both, is the FJ too buzy for extended pavement travel? I am guessing the Taco will fair better on the pavement and the FJ is more at home off the pavement.

Yes I will test drive both trucks but sometimes a vehicles character doesn't surface until you have lived with it for a bit so I am seeking advice here to aid in my decision.

I am not getting the truck for rock crawling, its for exploring and road trips. Its possible this truck will be my daily driver although I may hold onto the sTi. The sTi is rather buzy on long trips. This is why I mention this. I had an Audi A3 and although the sTi is more competent, the Audi could drive itself for hours on end. You have to constantly babysit the sTi compared to the Audi.

franklantern

Craig Lathem
No replies....maybe we have a classic case here of the newbie asking a question that the forum has already beat to death:)

If so, my apologies.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have only owned the FJC, but I have driven a few tacomas. The seating position is different in both so I would test both and see what you want. I test drove a Tacoma, but it seemed wrong to me. I am 6-2" and about 210 ad the FJC is a lot roomier.

FJC-4x4

The FJ drive better off-road (coil vs leaf), but it is noisier on pavement (less sound proofing).
I prefer the seating position in the FJ, but I have to put my Jerry's on the roof rack...
FJ have all rubber floor, the taco is all rug...

Tough call.

Drive them both and see...

I'm partial to the FJ and would buy another one if I could afford it!

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
It really depends on how much stuff you need to carry and what your taste is. Neither is going to feel like an audi.
The taco drives like.... a truck but you can carry much more stuff

v_man

Explorer
The available space inside the FJ didn't cut it for me , I always felt cramped like a sardine in one ... the sight lines through the windshield , the pillars causing blindspots.

There's nothing easier than throwing some sleeping bags in the back of a truck... guess you're gonna have to test drive both .

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That's actually one thing I don't like about the taco. It doesn't drive like a truck IMO. It drives like a car, especially the seating position. I currently own quite a few trucks, and none of them drive like a taco.
It really depends on how much stuff you need to carry and what your taste is. Neither is going to feel like an audi.
The taco drives like.... a truck but you can carry much more stuff

D

Deleted member 13060

I've had both.... If I had to pick one to drive to my Sister's house in WA, 700ish miles. I'd choose my old 06 TRD Prerunner. Same seats as the Pro and better than the seats in the FJ as far as my fat *** is concerned. Any trip less than 300 miles in one sitting and I'd choose the FJ since it rides a bit smoother....

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Just throwing my two pennies out there. I have zero experience driving the Tacoma. But I have sat in them and they feel too cramped for my 6'4" body. I have a friend that has the trd pro and he changed a lot of the suspension.
Now...I do love my FJ. In stock form it was like buttah on the road. With my MTs and new Icon suspension...it's like buttah only a little firmer.
My wife has a 2007 Camry with the V6 and it rides much worse than my FJ does. And it has twice as much road noise. I even put damplifier in it to help. But didn't do much. Still noisy. On trips I prefer the ride of my FJ but the gas mileage of the Camry!
Wish you the best!

sn_85

Observer
Just throwing my two pennies out there. I have zero experience driving the Tacoma. But I have sat in them and they feel too cramped for my 6'4" body. I have a friend that has the trd pro and he changed a lot of the suspension.

Do you mean the TRD Off-Road/Sport because the TRD Pro isn't even out yet as it's a special edition for 2015.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Very possible. I just know it was a special edition. Fairly new. I think it's 13 or 14? Sorry. Like I said...I don't have too much experience with the Tacoma.

franklantern

Craig Lathem
Do you mean the TRD Off-Road/Sport because the TRD Pro isn't even out yet as it's a special edition for 2015.

The Toyota press release says that the TRD Pro was scheduled for an August release. The dealer I spoke to said he saw TRD Pro's already in allocation to dealers but I have not seen one on a lot.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've had Tacos, and have driven the "FJ" extensively on and off road. 100% Taco for me. With a cap/she'll on the back, a Taco is super versatile for camping etc. Toyotas attempt at making an "affordable" Land Cruiser (I think that's what their goal was with the "FJ") was, in my opinion a lost opportunity. I know many here love them, but I find the "FJ" to be more of a street rig.

Flame away "FJ" owners... I got my fireproof undies on!

Taco is amazing and versatile, but I wouldn't recommend the TRD to anyone (or the SR5 for that matter). A base Taco that is then optimized with better suspension and possible an air locker or two is way less $ for a much better vehicle. The only thing it is missing is intermittent wipers, but that is a $160 plug and play part. Takes 5 minutes to install. Consider what you want your vehicle to do and then go from there. I think the TRD and other upgrades are a waste of $.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94