PORTABLE FRIDGE / FREEZER LONG TERM STORAGE

RotorHead04

Observer
I just scored a used Edgestar 43qt portable freezer earlier this week. I borrowed a buddies ARB freezer last month for a road trip. After that the wife and I knew had to add one to our arsenal of camp gear. I have determined it is impossible to go back to a cooler and ice after having a powered unit. Searching craigslist every evening finally paid off. I brought the cooler home and tried it out for a few days in the back of my truck to see how well it would maintain temp inside during the Texas summer heat. It preformed well, I'm happy. I decided to clean the freezer today. Now my question is how to best store this beast until the next big trip? The guy I purchased mine from had it in his garage as an extra deep freeze storing meat. Is it best to stick it somewhere and leave it running or store it powered off (lid open or closed)? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I probably would store it like I do when I winterize my camp. Put it somewhere out of the way from too much dust crack the lid open and put something in there to hold it open some. Not on the seal but from the middle of the lid.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I currently leave mine in the van, disconnected and with the lid propped ajar to avoid mustiness. Previously, I used it as a beer fridge and ran it on AC in the garage.

toyrunner95

Explorer
I keep mine in the truck and keep my Gatorade and groceries cold. I can turn it on and off from the cab. Works when I need it. In it at least once a day.

4x4junkie

Explorer
They don't really need any special care other than typical measures to prevent musty odors from forming.

I leave the little drain plug inside of mine out and then store it a back room of the house with a couple folded paper towels under the seal and the lid closed but unlatched.

alaska101

Observer
Throw in a box of arm and hammer baking powder in it for storage. I do it for all my coolers and they smell fresh all the time. No old cooler smells.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I keep mine running 24/7. it's better to keep things with refrigerant, running. keeps everything lube up. I was always told by the ac guy's the worst thing you can do to a refer or ac was to let it sit and not run for extended periods. they say to even run your ac at least once a month in your car even in the middle of winter. this is some what of a mute point nowadays because most new vehicles when you turn the defroster on the ac cycles, to remove the moisture in the air. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles