Tow Vehicle Recommendations

Terex

Adventurer
Thanks once again to everyone. The Tundra does present off-road access problems, but they may not end up being the limiting factor. The Tacoma looks good, and even better if I add the TRD supercharger - which then drives up the price and may require premium gas. Plus I'd want extra bits, like winch, a little lift, bigger tires, etc. The new Chevy/GMC with more horsepower may tow better stock, but may not be as off-road capable out of the box, and certainly after market mods will be limited.

I think what I'd really like is a JKU with a 2.5" expedition lift from AEV and the diesel conversion - but that's just crazy expensive.

I'd like to be able to garage it, and with my garage, the Tundra starts to be a problem. Same thing for anything with much lift and a roof rack. My stock JKR with a Frontrunner roof rack barely fits under the door.

At the end of the day, I'm going to have to make some compromises somewhere in terms of HP, size and mileage.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Love my first gen Tundra. It has been extremely reliable, comfortable and tows well. I towed a mini van on a flat bed trailer over a pretty good mountain pass with no trouble at all. I tow a camp trailer with it regularly in the summer and it handles it swimmingly. They are big, but I have had no trouble with it on moderate trails. I've had it on Fins n Things, and 3D in Moab. I have driven The White Rim Trail, Elephant Hill, and the Doll House Rd. in Canyonlands, In the San Juans, we drove Imogene Pass and Engineer Pass . I have been places in my old Cherokee where the Tundra won't go, but it is very capable and does not hinder where I want to go now. It is currently sitting on Bilstein 5100s in the front, add a leafs in the rear, and 285 Cooper STMaxx tires on FJ Cruiser steelies.

Attachments

• Fathers and Sons 2011 011-01.jpg
    Fathers and Sons 2011 011-01.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 11
  • may-june 2011 217.jpg
    may-june 2011 217.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2012 Swell 01.jpg
    2012 Swell 01.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 10
  • Minn and White Rim2013 145.1.jpg
    Minn and White Rim2013 145.1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 9
  • tundra rims 004.jpg
    tundra rims 004.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 8
  • The Dollhouse 021-1.jpg
    The Dollhouse 021-1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Terex

Adventurer
Love my first gen Tundra. It has been extremely reliable, comfortable and tows well. I towed a mini van on a flat bed trailer over a pretty good mountain pass with no trouble at all. I tow a camp trailer with it regularly in the summer and it handles it swimmingly. They are big, but I have had no trouble with it on moderate trails. I've had it on Fins n Things, and 3D in Moab. I have driven The White Rim Trail, Elephant Hill, and the Doll House Rd. in Canyonlands, In the San Juans, we drove Imogene Pass and Engineer Pass . I have been places in my old Cherokee where the Tundra won't go, but it is very capable and does not hinder where I want to go now. It is currently sitting on Bilstein 5100s in the front, add a leafs in the rear, and 285 Cooper STMaxx tires on FJ Cruiser steelies.

Thanks for listing places you've driven it and specs. Those are the types of things I'd like to do with my outfit, well, maybe not Imogene with a trailer. If I tried it, my wife would probably tell me to pick her up on the way back. ;)

theside00

Adventurer
What about a 100 series land cruiser? Very reliable trucks with V8 power. With a slight lift and tires it will go where ever you want it to. Gas mileage isn't anything special, probably expect averages around 12-13.

Terex

Adventurer
What about a 100 series land cruiser? Very reliable trucks with V8 power. With a slight lift and tires it will go where ever you want it to. Gas mileage isn't anything special, probably expect averages around 12-13.

That would be a nice vehicle, but I'm looking for something a little more recent vintage and better gas mileage. I live an hour and a half from the dealer, and I don't have knowledge or tools to do much in the way of repairs. It's something to think about though. Thanks

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
You could also look for a low mileage 4th gen 4Runner V8. I haven't done any towing with mine, but I load it up pretty good for long road trips - zero power issues in altitude, it's super comfortable, and no maintenance issues (I only have 65k miles on mine).

THAT! They're cheaper than Tacomas, too. Otherwise, a late model 100 Series Cruiser. I'd hardly call those unreliable- but thisty.

350outrage

Adventurer
AHH. . .the old conundrum! How to get big capability, good gas mileage (on reg gas!), small size, relatively new and trouble free, CHEAP. In the end I suspect you'll have to choose yer blues, and figure out which disadvantages you dislike the least.

3,000lbs does NOT Merit a switch to a full size truck. I am all for the Tundra ( I have one) but a Tacoma is easily capable of pulling that weight.

You may come into perceived issues if you are expecting the tacoma to rocket up mountain passes at 80MPH Passing Ski resort traffic. But this is not an issue. People are simply expecting their "tow vehicle" to tow as if nothing is even back there. This is misinformed, and overkill mentality that is simply not practical in day to day use of said vehicle.

If you can still supercharge a tacoma that is always an option as well, but at that point you may be into a low rent Tundra price range.

Now, all that being said. I LOVE my tundra (2014) and I tow more than 3k LBS. I also take it on desert roads and need appliance reliability, which it has so far delivered.

Icon suspension, Roof top tent, and I am finished with mods for my uses.

jim65wagon

Currently we tow our teardrop (fully loaded with food, wine, gear and 40 gallons of water it tips the scales at 3500 lbs) with our 220,000 mile 2003 Tundra. The first gen Tundras are excellent trucks and ours has towed the trailer all over VA and WV paved roads, gravel forest roads and a few not so paved "roads". I wouldn't have any problem buying another 1st gen Tundra. That said we are considering a replacement vehicle (kids are driving age and looking for vehicles!) and by the time we go on our one year adventure (about 5 years from now) our current truck will be well over the 300,000 mile mark.

Our thoughts for a new tow vehicle are to pick up a new (2014,2015,2016?) Tacoma. Why?
If we buy soonishly it will be paid off before the trip
It's nearly the same size as our current ride:
The wheelbase is almost identical
The length is almost identical
The width is slightly narrower, but not much.
The tow ratings are nearly identical.
The HP ratings are similar, but the Tacoma has about 60 lbft of torque less, and at a higher rpm.

Adding the supercharger would negate any torque advantage the Tundra has, and would offset the high mountain altitudes when we finally get out west.

Oh, but I will miss my Tundra....

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Flat roads. A 4 cylinder can pull 3000lbs all day long. For hill driving. The tundra will be better. You have to consider other factors such as head wind and brakes...
3000lbs trailer and what about the truck. Will it be stock? Larger tires, armor, gear and what not. I rather be overpower with room to grow than be underpowered. There will always be that urge to need more power. The v8 is basically end game but still have an option for a s/c... Than you can say diesel what lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior