new to mitsubishi group

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Pretty funny, maybe I was channeling your rig when I ordered the deck? Still trying to decide what rig is following me to DV? Really want to bring the Tundra, but if I bring the Montero I think I'll be compelled to change the route to include Echo Canyon :coffeedrink:

Cranked the torsion bars to raise/level the front out. For some silly reason I clay barred then waxed it (ok, I felt like spoiling the rig) :smiley_drive: before I subject it to a little offroad pin striping.
mont98_zps7608f7ca.jpg

Wondering how those silver bumper ends and lower rockers would look black?

Dang son. That thing looks sweet. Any idea where we might be able to purchase replacement rear hub caps and spring retainer rings? My rear passenger cap and retainer spring is missing too.

bikerjosh

Explorer
a little progress, sliders

been working on my Tundra too much and the Montero was feeling neglected. :sombrero:
New sliders
001_zps34071cf5.jpg

Another shot kept them pretty close to the outside line of vehicle, but they can still be used as steps for getting stuff off the roof.
002_zps46989677.jpg

nckwltn

Explorer
been working on my Tundra too much and the Montero was feeling neglected. :sombrero:
New sliders
<Image Redacted>
Another shot kept them pretty close to the outside line of vehicle, but they can still be used as steps for getting stuff off the roof.
<Image Redacted>

Looks nice! I've found that stepping on the rear tire works pretty well for most roof stuff

bikerjosh

Explorer
Alternator capacity (adding lights) and bumper question

So I'm trying to utilize some extra lights I have laying around for my 2.5 Montero. I have a set of PIAA 50 watt lights and a pair of 100 watt 7" (could be 50 watt) no name lights in my parts box.
Planning on mounting the smaller PIAA's on the bumper on the sliver center part of the bumper and the bigger 7" lights that have covers on my roof basket. I'll run each pair on a separate relay and switch. Will the alternator tolerate this kind of load? I'll use the ones on the bumper a lot more often than the basket ones. I realize a LED bar would use much less power, but I would really like to use what I have versus buying something else.
Also any thoughts on whether that piece of the bumper is stout enough to support a pair of 5" lights with out drilling into the portion below?
Does that make sense? Loaded up on Percocet after ankle surgery so everything seems a bit off.
montero_zps0ffe7370.jpg

montero-manual_zpsfa625a9b.jpg

Last edited:

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Hi Josh. Hope all is well. If I am not mistaken, the Montero's alternator is only 80 amp. I had 4, 100W lights on the roof and the battery would drain faster than it would charge. Actually, the main reason I put the beast of a battery was to try and compensate somewhat. The battery did help tremendously. With that setup of 300W total, just keep an eye out on the Voltmeter and you should do fine with the DieHard.

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on in forever.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hi Josh. Hope all is well. If I am not mistaken, the Montero's alternator is only 80 amp. I had 4, 100W lights on the roof and the battery would drain faster than it would charge. Actually, the main reason I put the beast of a battery was to try and compensate somewhat. The battery did help tremendously. With that setup of 300W total, just keep an eye out on the Voltmeter and you should do fine with the DieHard.

There are 3 different amp ratings, 85, 100, and 110 according to rockauto.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Hey Andrew, great to hear from you. How have you been since the DV trip. Haven't done much work on the Montero as I'm still not able to put any weight on my left ankle. Did manage to mount the PIAA lights on the bumper and mount a small fire extinguisher in side the cabin. Baby steps till I work on my feet. Also bought a new radiator but haven't installed it yet.
BTW-I started mapping another trip to DV for the Spring late March; more technical then the Fall. I'll ping you after Nick and I nail down the route (trying to keep the driving to less than 12 hours in a day on the trail) :wings:

bikerjosh

Explorer
programming remotes, or maybe not.

So originally got my car with only one remote. Ordered another through ebay and wanted to program it. Originally I assumed the keyless entry module would be under the dash on the driver side directions mentioned finding the module and press the button on it to allow programming. Seemed simple enough. Looked under the dash and only thing resembling that was a small box that said "security" and had an adjustment dial versus a button.

So them I stumbled across a member that mentioned it was in the rear cargo area on the passenger side behind one of the body panels. Looked in my manual and sure enough come upon this.
keyless%20module_zpslchlf6he.jpg

Ok, well that is a pain in the butt but ok. So I tear apart the back and find this? Area to the right of speaker is just a cover no module.
IMG_20150221_112921_404_zpsycx03yvr.jpg

WTH! ABS Control was where it should be, but no keyless entry module. Anyone have a picture of what I'm looking for?
Thanks

Eric M

Adventurer
The 'security' box might be a glass break sensor for the alarm system. I hope you find the RKE module, maybe you can save me some time ripping apart my cargo area.

bikerjosh

Explorer
back from the dead

I seem to have forgotten about this thread, before I rebuild the thread on what I have done since I need to ask a question. On a trip east of Red Bluff I gernaded the driver side cv axle and the transfer case bushing gave up the ghost leaving me in 4Lo (really 2 low I guess w/o a driver an axle.)
As I was repairing (bandaid at best), my buddy tried to remove the inboard part of axle. The axle came out w/o the cage. Now I am left with the inboard cage and rest of the axle stuck in diff. Tried to pull it out but no dice? Anyone know of a trick to remove this part of axle from the diff?

BTW- this was an aftermarket CV axle (I'll post pics of the axle once I get the rest out) Pictures of current status below:
cv%20axle%20cage_zpswuhil0ij.jpg

inboard%20cage_zpsmxjqbyqt.jpg

Thanks for looking-Josh

nckwltn

Explorer
if you're done with that shaft, you could cut/drill a couple of holes in the sides to give you something to grab onto to assist pulling

BOPOH

Explorer
it's a long shot and maybe not required or possible, but can you drill an opposing holes to put a metal rod in and try pulling by it? with something like this?

27d907d79ab32c53d643517f8a647eb4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke