new to mitsubishi group

bikerjosh

Explorer
New to the Mitsubishi group, but not to ExpoPortal.
Just purchased a 98 Montero w/winter package, 147k on the clock.
There are a number of folks responsible for this transgression on my part; namely “nckwltn” for showing me on a couple DV trips what a stock 99 w/tires could accomplish, and the following member’s build threads “eurosonic”, & “kirk!”. Yep the blame falls squarely with those folks.
Maintanence work- replace window regulators on both passenger windows, maybe valve stem seals (unless I can pass smog w/o doing them and I’ll wait)
Mods: Let the insanity begin- need some beefed up skids first, especially transfer case. Sliders-still debating, body lift?
Howdy all
mont2_zps570a8c39.jpg

montero_zpsfc372cf2.jpg

nckwltn

Explorer
The body lift looks pretty easy... I just don't like how the front and rear bumpers no longer line up. But if I had done the body lift, I wouldn't have ding'd my rockers last time in DV. And, if you do the gas tank lift (eurosonic), that should fix the rear bumper. ARB for the front seems like what most guys do for a nice finished look.

I would say welcome to the dark side, but there isn't anything dark about it, except for how underestimated these things are :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the club Josh. I think you'll like the Monty, though the LAMB is a tough act to follow. These are very different rigs from that one!

Definitely go with sliders. Body lift maybe, though it doesn't really do much for you. It would be better to simply trim the rear bumper and tuck the gas tank. Do you plan on staying on 33's? If going up to 35's, then the body lift and gearing upgrades make a lot of sense.

nckwltn

Explorer
was thinking about the valve seals... You don't want to let it go too long, because it could kill your catalytic converters.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Yep, valve seals will need to be done, sooner if I can't get it smogged w/o doing that first.
Trimming the rear bumper is on the list, might stay w/the 33's so I don't have to re-gear. Still on the fence about the body lift, but if I do that I'll look into a g tank, tuck.
Skids and sliders are probably on the mod list first after dealing with the valve seals and windows.
thanks Josh

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Congrats and welcome in board. Did you get this truck from Sacramento ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcmontero

I have a 1999 montero ls 3.5, o baught knowing has bad frame. Vehicle has 92k runs and drives mint body is fabulous shape interior excellent, would a frame from a 2002 montero sport be the same as mine?

I have a 1999 montero ls 3.5, o baught knowing has bad frame. Vehicle has 92k runs and drives mint body is fabulous shape interior excellent, would a frame from a 2002 montero sport be the same as mine?

No pic means it did not happen. LOL, just kidding. You know pics are always welcome here on expo. So show her. Don't tell me you are shy about how she looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles