Ideas for putting a Winnebago Lesharo onto a 4x4 Chassis

htrj

Hi, this is my first post on here. Although I have found myself visiting this, incredibly useful, site many times over the years I thought today that I had better sign up.

What I know about building expedition vehicles can be written on the back of a stamp but I do have some experience when it comes to bolting things together and I have an insatiable appetite for travel so it seems inevitable that I will combine those two aspects at some point. That point maybe sooner than I realise given what I am about to suggest.

Not too far from me is a abandoned, low milage mid 80's Winnebago Lesharo that the owner will let me have if I can move the thing. For those of you who don't know what that is its a compact size RV based on a Renault Trafic van. It seems well equipt with 240v electrics, genset, two double beds, swivel chairs, shower, toilet, etc etc. The down side is that most of the chassis is rotten and the engine has seized so really its only good for the body.

For simplicity, my initial thoughts were to plonk the Lesharo shell onto an extended Unimog 404 chassis and running gear. I think that would actually make it too tall to be practical and the 'mog drivetrain might be too primitive for long distance travel. Then I realised that some of the 435 and 437 unimogs had exactly the same wheelbase as the Lesharo but the sheer size of those engines might be too much to fit under its bodywork. After a little more thought I "remembered" that I have 2 Land Rover Discovery 1's chassis' lying at the top of the garden. Perhaps they could be blended to created the desired 3.7m wheelbase. Maybe I should rethink the whole project and use something else altogether.

So, that is my inspiration but as mentioned earlier I know nothing about building expedition vehicles. Would this be a worthy expedition vehicle project or have I just described building a ridiculous, steroid pumped Winnebago monster truck?

I look forward to hearing from people more experienced than me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles