suggestions for a custom built fridge/freezer

Hawk2000WJ

Due to the limited space in the WJ, I have to carry my spare tire inside for now, I'm looking at the possibility of building a custom fridge/freezer for the back of the jeep. I've only been able to find info on walk in systems not small ones. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Rear wheel mount.

Search "boat freezer compressor" "galley fridge plates" custom fridges are more common on fishing boats and yachts, check boatersworld dot com and boating/yachting forums. Check Ebay for fridge plates and compressors too, most are probably too big for a very small container. Also check for RV fridge compressors and plates.

However, building for the back of a jeep isn't a very big project. You might be better off modifying an existing cooler putting plates inside and the compressor outside. In fact, sounds like a tiny project with the space you're filling as a fridge goes, you'd probably be better off going with a manufactured unit.

Another issue is the power requirement. Do you have a dual battery setup or a genset? I used a small bar fridge from WalMart with an inverter and separate battery for short outings in the Safari Van.

By the time you buy the parts to build a fridge you'll be close to buying a manufactured unit. The advantage of a custom fridge/freezer is fitting into odd spaces or custom spaces with extra insulation and building a top loader in larger spaces, 9, 12, 14, 18 cubic feet, 3 cubic feet isn't very cost efficient.

Hawk2000WJ

Rear wheel mount.

Search "boat freezer compressor" "galley fridge plates" custom fridges are more common on fishing boats and yachts, check boatersworld dot com and boating/yachting forums. Check Ebay for fridge plates and compressors too, most are probably too big for a very small container. Also check for RV fridge compressors and plates.

However, building for the back of a jeep isn't a very big project. You might be better off modifying an existing cooler putting plates inside and the compressor outside. In fact, sounds like a tiny project with the space you're filling as a fridge goes, you'd probably be better off going with a manufactured unit.

Another issue is the power requirement. Do you have a dual battery setup or a genset? I used a small bar fridge from WalMart with an inverter and separate battery for short outings in the Safari Van.

By the time you buy the parts to build a fridge you'll be close to buying a manufactured unit. The advantage of a custom fridge/freezer is fitting into odd spaces or custom spaces with extra insulation and building a top loader in larger spaces, 9, 12, 14, 18 cubic feet, 3 cubic feet isn't very cost efficient.

Ok I'll look into those sites. Thanks for the info!

zelatore

Explorer
I've had custom fridge/freezers built for yachts, but it's very expensive. The 'do it yourself' option, using cold plates and a remote mount compressor similar to what sailboats use might be a reasonable option if you want a custom built-in, but that said, I don't think you can save much vs buying something like a standard Dometic unit. Check out PPL Motorhomes for some pretty good deals so on Dometic fridges. I picked one up from them just last week. It may not be 100% as good as an ARB, but it gives me 90% of the performance/features at 50% the price.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
I have built sailboat refrigerators using the Norcold brand cold plates. It's not that tough of a project, just an insulated box with a lid and a couple of holes for the lines to exit. Mounting the compressor is likely to be more of an issue in your rig.

Xterabl

Adventurer
The FridgeFreeze.com stuff looks really nice, if a bit on the pricey side.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior