The ZJ That Almost Became a Donor to my CJ "My Expedition Rig to Be"

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Looking good. I have those same wheels with 4 1/4" BS. Are those 33's or bigger? I paid $3000 for my ZJ in 2010 (although it was a peach), $200 is a hell of a deal.

Kirk T

[/ATTACH]
Looking good. I have those same wheels with 4 1/4" BS. Are those 33's or bigger? I paid $3000 for my ZJ in 2010 (although it was a peach), $200 is a hell of a deal.
Yes those are 33's. My next project is to build and install an 8.8 Ford axle. Found one at the local salvage under an Explorer.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 8

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Nice I was just at junkyard getting some parts. Was looking at all the ford axles but don't really need one so I didn't go for it. The hard part is going to be transferring all those brackets and the spring perches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2ZJ

Explorer
Iron Rock Offroad has a kit, there are others as well. This is worth the time and money, the old brackets get trashed coming off and won't have the same strength once you put them back on. I just put a triangulated 4-link on when I did the swap, much easier. I am about to part it out, I bought a WJ.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Yah the hard part is building a jig and getting the measurements right and getting everything on straight and where it needs to be. I may go with a triangulated 4 link as well when I swap axles but that's far in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk T

Iron Rock Offroad has a kit, there are others as well. This is worth the time and money, the old brackets get trashed coming off and won't have the same strength once you put them back on. I just put a triangulated 4-link on when I did the swap, much easier. I am about to part it out, I bought a WJ.
As you can see in the picture I have already cut off the OE Ford brackets, I plan to order an Iron Rock Off Road bracket kit and welding it on the 8.8. That shouldn't be a problem for I have done lots of welding through the years. While I'm at it I will weld the axle tubes to the center section. I haven't decided on which locker I will go with but I would like to go with selectable locker. I wish the electric lockers were better, I have read about quite a few problems with them. I am leaning toward ARB lockers front and rear. I'm planning on 4:56 gears. I currently have a 249 transfer case, in time that'll be switched out to a 231. It is a work in progress is, I guess I enjoy it and look forward to the finished product

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz