Fiberglass Propane recertify test?

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
The difference between a paintball canister and a propane tank is in the contents. A paintball tank has either nitrogen or CO2, both of which are inert and non-combustible. Propane on the other hand is EXTREMELY combustible. So if a paintball tank ruptures, you get a bang and some small shrapnel. If a propane tank ruptures, you get a bang and a boom and a big fireball that will barbeque anybody nearby.

Again, its not the tank, its the contents and potential scale of disaster in the worst case scenario for each.

You could get more than some small shrapnel, they are compressed air under 4500psi in a tank that will shatter rather than peel like a steel tank. They sound like a bomb going off. Propane will not self ignite, so unless it ruptured while it was next to an open flame it wouldnt really matter. Fill stations are specifically set away from any source of ignition on purpose as a safe guard. There is no reason one would pop just sitting somewhere unless it was in a warm car or in direct sunlight. That would raise the pressure and pop your burst disc then you have a cloud of propane. Believe it or not they wont go flying around either. They tanks are also made with an aluminum core. I would be more scared of the burst disc going off in a car and breathing in a propane cloud than one exploding.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Most composite propane tanks do not have an aluminum core. If they did, you could not see the propane level through them.

I asked my neighbor, owner of a propane company about this a few minutes ago. He said the liability related to filling a composite tank, the relative rarity of them, the absolute nightmare if if one starts to leak, and if a company has a uncontrolled release of propane, especially from a bad tank results in fines and penalties that are dramatic. All of which make them not worth it to their company.

He knows people that fill them, but to him, it's not worth the risk. His company is one of the largest propane companies in SoCal.

Again, I have no horse in this race, I use liquid fuel camp gear. Just relaying the experience of a person in the business.

robgendreau

Explorer
Go to Viking's web site; they have a tool to search for someone to recertify the tanks. Nearest to me in Oakland were like Santa Rosa. I believe they are the distributor for these in the US. I don't own one or want one, just passing on the info. I like tank swaps myself; so much quicker and less hassle but YMMV.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
You know, I think peoples aversion to these fiberglass tanks is lack of info. I've been wearing composite tanks (SCBA tanks) on my back for many many years....
I am 100% with ya. IMO the composite tanks are safer. BLEVE potential eliminated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne