Sasquatch: '95 Suburban 6.5L TD 4x4 - Build Thread

Gigantor

Observer
I grew up in the back of a '65 2-door (as if the 3 or 4 door versions had been dreamt of yet), 2WD, Suburban. When our family outgrew it, my dad upgraded to a '72 3-door, 4WD. My entire childhood was spent in Suburbans, so it seemed logical that with my 2002 Silverado hitting high mileage (and tranny slipping) and my 3-year-old son remaining in the top 97% for height, it was time for a larger vehicle.

And it was time to revisit the almighty Suburban...

2fd6769de39ce15fc915e37b7ea2d120.jpg

145f7cd9a810b4abb1e52bfaee880946.jpg

d037c2a46ca8318fe4d15c545c15421b.jpg

01952b6316d022798482c9177988b0c6.jpg

f525d58887e8dff0783df4b33d4911e2.jpg

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
perfect combo all the way around.... white is such an excellent color for off-road adventures (which is why all my vehicles are black, I'm not perfect - nor are my vehicles).

How many miles? PMD relocation kit on it? how's the pump?

jerrysull2

Master Lurker
Compliments on your 'burb! Reminds me an awful lot like my own :)

When I was shopping, I was looking specifically for a '95, as I like the pre passenger side airbag setup for the dash, offering just a bit more storage, and prefer a speedo that goes above 85. If you aren't aware, the Injector pump, and more specifically the PMD mounted to the side of it is a notorious weakness of this motor. It is best advised to relocate it to a location where it won't be exposed to the high temps of the engine as soon as possible. A Poplar location I have seen many people mount it is behind the front bumper.

What are your future plans for the rig?

superbuickguy

Explorer
.... and prefer a speedo that goes above 85.....

What are your future plans for the rig?

My friends know better than to take me seriously when I tell them something (I once convinced my wife that she would lose mpg in her Prius when she turned on her seat heaters) - for some reason, for good and bad, I have a face that people just naturally believe. To me, it's the only explanation of this....

I was driving in Eastern Washington on I-90 to Ellensburg. Everyone knows that is the last place on the planet to really fly... 10 over (60-80 mph depending on the zone), and unless you look like a child molester, it's probably okay... I was blowing along in my 6.2 diesel, turbocharged 83 4x4 pickup well over that number. In fact, I honesty answered when he asked me "how fast" I said I don't know, but likely near 80 as the last time I looked down. He said "you know it's 70 mph here" I said "sure, but 70 mph only means you get a semi attached to my drop hitch. He said, yes but, you were going well over 90. I looked at him and said "I believe you, but I'm having a hard time believing you as this is a 6.2 diesel (rattling nicely) and while the speedo only goes to 85, the only way it'd see that is if I drove it off a cliff. He said "well, yeah, we had those in our Humvees, and they weren't fast"... I looked at him and shrugged - he said, well, I'm not sure and since you were truthful to me about your approximate speed - just slow down through here, have a nice day. Sometimes my talents just scare me. While my speedo doesn't go to 85, my gps speedo on my phone had a number that started with 9....

I also love the advice "slow down through here"... meaning, "don't let ME catch you speeding again"... yes sir! lol found out later that the WSP was related to a good friend of mine - to this day, when I see him, I lead off with "you didn't see ME speeding, did you?" :) He retorts that I must be blond...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My friends know better than to take me seriously when I tell them something (I once convinced my wife that she would lose mpg in her Prius when she turned on her seat heaters) - for some reason, for good and bad, I have a face that people just naturally believe. To me, it's the only explanation of this....

I was driving in Eastern Washington on I-90 to Ellensburg. Everyone knows that is the last place on the planet to really fly... 10 over (60-80 mph depending on the zone), and unless you look like a child molester, it's probably okay... I was blowing along in my 6.2 diesel, turbocharged 83 4x4 pickup well over that number. In fact, I honesty answered when he asked me "how fast" I said I don't know, but likely near 80 as the last time I looked down. He said "you know it's 70 mph here" I said "sure, but 70 mph only means you get a semi attached to my drop hitch. He said, yes but, you were going well over 90. I looked at him and said "I believe you, but I'm having a hard time believing you as this is a 6.2 diesel (rattling nicely) and while the speedo only goes to 85, the only way it'd see that is if I drove it off a cliff. He said "well, yeah, we had those in our Humvees, and they weren't fast"... I looked at him and shrugged - he said, well, I'm not sure and since you were truthful to me about your approximate speed - just slow down through here, have a nice day. Sometimes my talents just scare me. While my speedo doesn't go to 85, my gps speedo on my phone had a number that started with 9....

I also love the advice "slow down through here"... meaning, "don't let ME catch you speeding again"... yes sir! lol found out later that the WSP was related to a good friend of mine - to this day, when I see him, I lead off with "you didn't see ME speeding, did you?" :) He retorts that I must be blond...

"These are not the droids you seek" -B.K.

Gigantor

Observer
perfect combo all the way around.... white is such an excellent color for off-road adventures (which is why all my vehicles are black, I'm not perfect - nor are my vehicles).

How many miles? PMD relocation kit on it? how's the pump?
67K miles when I bought..... really! 70K now

Belonged to a volunteer fire department in Virginia.

Guy who bought it from them drove it up and down the west coast pulling an old Shasta camper going to art fairs and concerts. He put 15K in mileage on it before selling it to me. "Too big a truck for living in the city, " he said.

I found a receipt for the PMD being replaced but but it looks to still be the factory placement. I have seem soon relocation kits on the web. Anyone know if one is better than the rest?

Gigantor

Observer
A couple more "virgin" pics:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423402254999.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423402254999.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423402264038.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423402264038.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 40

Gigantor

Observer
First alteration was Hummer H2 wheels with black PlastiDip. it's always amazing to me how much wheels affect the attitude of any car or truck!

First alteration was Hummer H2 wheels with black PlastiDip.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423402377781.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423402377781.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 54

Gigantor

Observer
After talking off the grill guard (sold it to a guy with a '95 Blazer) and all the emergency reflector tape, I started turning chrome black.

I also found a great deal (like less than 1/2 price; Craigslist is my friend!) On a Garvin Wilderness rack. The only catch was that it came with the mounting kit for an Excursion... so, I removed the stock luggage rack rails and replaced them with some off a Ford (we've got an equal opportunity garage at my house). They actually fit without much fuss and are very low profile in comparison.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423404315738.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423404315738.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 53
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423404370866.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423404370866.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 52

Gigantor

Observer
Picking her up today with new rock sliders and rear bumper!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423419129015.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423419129015.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 53

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles