Toyota Re-Releasing 70 Series for One Year Only

concretejungle

Adventurer
I know this is crazy, but remember we as citizens are supposed to make the rules. I feel that if there were enough people who actually cared we could get our congress and senate (I know long shot, they can't even balance a budget) to ease the rules.... I know, dreaming but it is a fact. We should all ban together and say, screw it we are importing them and you can just kiss my grits DOT!

stolz

Adventurer
I don't understand the hype, they never stopped in Australia. So why is it all over these websites once Japan has them for one year?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I don't understand the hype, they never stopped in Australia. So why is it all over these websites once Japan has them for one year?

Add the fact it is a gas motor model and I'm 100% with you. The VDJ lineup is a truly superior setup. The GRJ is a fantastic platform but to get amped up about it while a V8 turbo diesel is available... hmmmm.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Yeah, they never 'left' Australia, South Africa, etc. Japan are just getting the facelifted 70's a few years late.

Rumour has it with all the mining companies demanding 5 star ANCAPP/euro equivalent safety ratings they'll either have to redo the 70 series lineup altogether very shortly or abandon it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they're selling surplus cruisers that haven't sold down here to the Japanese market before doing just this.

[/url]

Do the Nissan do any better in crash scores? It's a much newer design, at least.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
The 70 series is kinda boring to me. I would rather see them drop the Tacoma and bring us(U.S.) the hilux with diesel. Maybe this will happen now that dodge is offering diesel Grand Cherokee and Wranglers(soon).

doug720

Expedition Leader
I honestly feel the diesel surge is going to be short lived here in the US.

With DPF, urea, a zillion sensors, higher maintenance costs,and high repair costs post warranty, I don't think the general public will support them.

The Japanese see the future in the US, but particularly in California, to be Hybred/Electric short term, NG and Hydrogen longer term, not diesel.

All the Japanese company's have NG and Hydrogen going full steam, not diesel.

frank6772

The problem I see getting the 70 series here in the states is that it wouldn't fit the mold for the masses. The truck is essentially a Ford Super Duty, the size of a Tacoma. The masses don't really care about the simplicity of the product, just as long as they can get the biggest most powerful truck on the block with enough leather to peek the interest of PETA. One upmanship is more the norm here than a simple, durable product that will will do the job intended for long periods of time without looking like a beached whale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles