2014 Truck Camper Building From Scratch

davesteve

Observer
Hello truck camper enthusiasts. I am embarking on a new truck camper build from scratch, that some of you may be interested in. This one will be a little different. It will be a pop-up made of fiberglass covered 1/8th inch ply. It will have a curved one piece fiberglass over foam roof, that will be lifted by cylinders, activated by an on board air compressor. It will have full sized (6' tall, 4' wide) double back doors....Like I said, different.
I will document progress with a weekly YouTube video and plan to have this done by the end of 2014. Check out the first video that went online this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gqn9OZ1wzU

:truck:

davesteve

Observer
Truck Camper (pop up) Building 2014: Part 2

This is a short clip showing the floor base. I coated the bottom with epoxy, so I wouldn't have to crawl under it later and do it upside down...you know what that's like if you've attempted it.

I did use marine ply, mainly because I couldn't get 1/8th inch at the local HD. Can't hurt, but does do some damage to the old budget. No big deal. If I ever have to use it as a boat, maybe it'll float. :snorkel:

ripperj

Explorer
Looks like your having fun. Its coming along pretty fast. I didn't have time to watch all the videos, but the images appear to show construction adhesive on the joints?? Alaskan Campers who have been building campers for 50yrs the same way only nail and screw the framing together( at least I assume the newer ones. , mine is an '84)
This allows things to flex vice break when it twists on the truck.
Just a thought
Keith
Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

ripperj

Explorer
Looks like you are making progress. If you are receptive to feedback, I think many people would be more interested in a few photos in the thread vice the video, but maybe it's just me :)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior