2014 Truck Camper Building From Scratch

ripperj

Explorer
Did you say what you are using for siding? I am restoring/modifing an old alaskan. It currently looks similar to yours- bare wood framing. I hope to get it skinned in aluminum this weekend- the roof anyway.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

davesteve

Observer
Did you say what you are using for siding? I am restoring/modifing an old alaskan. It currently looks similar to yours- bare wood framing. I hope to get it skinned in aluminum this weekend- the roof anyway.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

No siding.
Fiberglass with a textured finish. It's much stronger and easy to repair. Expensive though.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
In reading this site over the years, the criticism of the textured finish that I've seen is that dirt and grime get into the nap of the texture on a finish like that. It becomes very difficult to get it truly clean, and makes the whole camper look much worse than the quality of the actual construction would indicate. You might want to consider developing a smooth final finish.

davesteve

Observer
In reading this site over the years, the criticism of the textured finish that I've seen is that dirt and grime get into the nap of the texture on a finish like that. It becomes very difficult to get it truly clean, and makes the whole camper look much worse than the quality of the actual construction would indicate. You might want to consider developing a smooth final finish.

I did consider it...for about 20 seconds. After witnessing the never ending finishing process, the hundreds of hours of sanding needed and what others go through and still have a flawed finish...well you know. Unless you have unlimited time, buckets of cash and professional equipment, I would suggest any home made product use a textured coating.

Dirt in the texture? Not a problem. If you do it right, power washing should clean it up. If not, then you put another finish coat on every 5 years. It is still preferable to the alternative nightmare.

When I bought my truck, the salesman asked me if I wanted a clear coat to protect the finish ($300). I laughed and said, "It's a truck. I want to off-road it through jungles with rocks flying all over until it looks like a beat up old truck."

I guess I feel the same about the camper finish.
Anyway. If my finish isn't smooth, i won't be tempted to slap on those silly decals. :)

mdmead

Adventurer
Interesting build. You are certainly building differently than anything else I've seen on here. I have visions of building my own camper one day and a few of the things you have done are under consideration.

davesteve

Observer
Part 16

This part will be the last of the year. Although we have had a mild late fall so far, winter is due any time in SE Michigan. We have a near 50 degree day this weekend, but I'm guessing things are going to get nasty very soon, so it's a good time for a break. I'll be back to finish up this project probably in late March or early April. I'm probably 80% finished and I'm hoping to be on the road by Summer. Thanks to those who have been watching and I'll see you here in the Spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94