Choosing an expedition vehicle with a family in mind

Friggin_Fuego

Hi guys,

I've been looking at choosing my next expedition vehicle. I've done a lot of research on quite a few vehicles in the last 9 months. I have a family of 4 and looking at doing a roof top tent set-up. Rock crawling would be minimal or non-existent. One area of importance is fuel range. I'm no stranger to Toyotas as I own a fairly modified 2007 FJ Cruiser and it's an awesome, fun vehicle. But there is one glaring issue that the FJ has: A 19-gallon fuel tank. The FJ is fun for weekend trips, but for full-fledge cross country travel, quite a bit of the time would be filling it up. The AUX tank's I've researched for it have thrown codes on other FJ's, so as for now I'm not looking at doing an AUX tank. I'm probably going save my FJ for my son when he get's to driving age.

I also own a 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4X4 that is stock with the exception of the tires which are BFG AT's. I love the 23 gallon fuel tank. You may ask I don't modify this one. This vehicle spent most of its career up north and has more surface rust than I'm comfortable with. At 115,000 miles it's already had two stuck calipers and will need an AC evaporater replacement which will be a $1,800. To build up a rusty vehicle doesn't seem feasible at all. I'm not hating on 4th gens at all. I love what MBurzon has done with his 2004 V6. The harsh northern salted roads just took more of a beating on my 4th Gen to make an expedition vehicle out of it.

So this is where I'm at. I'm not looking to spend more than $40,000 on my next Toyota expedition vehicle. I've look at the pros and cons of each of these choices and could use your opinions on which one would be best for my needs.
2014 Toyota Tacoma

Pros:
1. Least expensive
2. My family and I are all under 5'6" so fitting in it shouldn't be a problem.
3. The mod support is amazing
4. It's a proven expedition rig
5. It's a light vehicle
6. Awesome cargo room

Cons:
1. The rear end is smaller than the rest of my choices on this list
2. I think the 21 gallon fuel tank is still small
3. Seems like premium fuel is needed to get the most power out of the engine.
4. With a family of 4, will us and our stuff put some strain on the V6?

2014 Toyota Runner Trail Premium

Pros:
1. CRAWL, KDSS, and Multi-Terrain
2. 23 gallon Fuel Tank
3. Good build quality
4. Good aftermarket support
5. Proven expedition rig (Thanks Paul May!)

Cons:
1. Will a family of 4 and all our crap be too much of a strain on the V6?

2010 Lexus GX460 (non air suspension model)

Pros:
1. 4.6L V8 with 6 speed automatic transmission to easily help move the weight around
2. Torsen 4WD system
3. KDSS is standard
4. 23 gallon fuel tank
5. Excellent build quality
6. Proven expedition rig under the Prado name

Cons:
1. That 4.6L V8 takes premium fuel :(
2. Cargo space minimal with 3rd row sit as a standard option (but can be removed)
3. Aftermarket support is non-existent in North America, but you can ship Prado parts from Australia. I've talked to a couple of U.S. dealers that can make this happen. Also a few parts are shared with the 4Runner
4. No rear locker or Multi-Terrain. CRAWL was available on special order packages from 2012-on which is way out of my price range.

2014 Toyota Tundra (Double Cab)

Pros:
1. 26 gallon fuel tank
2. Phenomenal cargo space
3. Parts are Land Cruiser-sized

Cons:
1. It's a behemoth
2. Not that much aftermarket support
3. Does this generation Tundra have any expedition credibility?

2008 Toyota Land Cruiser

Pros:
1. Prices on 2008's are around my price range
2. Probably the best well known expedition vehicle
3. Excellent aftermarket support
Cons:
1. With a 24 gallon tank and 5.7L V8, fuel range is poor. The 4Runner, GX460, and Tundra can travel farther on a tank.
2. No rear locker

I've looked at 100 series Land Cruisers and most are too pricey for the mileage or are in not in great shape. There you have it guys. I'm all ears though and will appreciate any input.

haven

Expedition Leader
So a family of 4 regular-size folks. Any pets that travel? Have you been tent camping (sleeping beside the vehicle) up until now?

2014 Warthog

Explorer
Well I may be biased but I was looking through some of the same vehicles earlier this year and overall the 14 4runner really hit the sweet spot. The v6 should handlt 4 people, luggage and a roof rack of stuff pretty well. Maaaaybe a bit of lag at altitude in Utah trying to go 80.

Your pros and cons seem to be right on, the Tundra just drinks gas and is huge, the Lexus.. seems too nice to be a camping/expedition vehicle. The 4 door Tacoma I've seen a lot of nice expedition rigs built from it with ta RTT on an overhead rack over the bed and the bed made into a permanent storage area...

Friggin_Fuego

So a family of 4 regular-size folks. Any pets that travel? Have you been tent camping (sleeping beside the vehicle) up until now?

We have no pets, and it's my wife and my two sons who are 2 and 4 years old, but I'm anticipating them getting older (and heavier lol). Yes, my wife and I have tent camped before our kids were born and since my oldest son is about old enough, we want to camp again. I was thinking a Roof Top Tent would be the best way to go.

Last edited:

Friggin_Fuego

Well I may be biased but I was looking through some of the same vehicles earlier this year and overall the 14 4runner really hit the sweet spot. The v6 should handlt 4 people, luggage and a roof rack of stuff pretty well. Maaaaybe a bit of lag at altitude in Utah trying to go 80.

Your pros and cons seem to be right on, the Tundra just drinks gas and is huge, the Lexus.. seems too nice to be a camping/expedition vehicle. The 4 door Tacoma I've seen a lot of nice expedition rigs built from it with ta RTT on an overhead rack over the bed and the bed made into a permanent storage area...

I feel the exact same way with the 4Runner. To me it has a little bit of everything.

aubie9903

I think that all of your points about the vehicles that you mention are spot on. I am looking to get a Tundra Double Cab before the end of the year. I have recently read on the interwebs (must be true then) that Toyota will be putting a 38 gallon tank into the Tundra and to me that is a complete game changer. I am going to wait until the 2015's come out to see if this rumor is true. If so it's going to be a 2015 for me.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I think you are overly concerned about the fuel tank size...if you have a family of 4 along you will be stopping often enough to keep it filled anyway.

I'm running a 2013 Tacoma DCSB with my family of 5 plus a dog. Fits children's seats easily. Works and hauls well. I'm a big fan. If you are considering a build up, I'd get the base model, add intermittent wipers (it is a $160 part that is plug and play - takes 5 minutes to do) and then begin to add the suspension and other bits that you want. You will get a far better machine for far less than the SR5 and TRD cost.

Premium gas is not needed and in fact will not assist in how it drives unless you are hauling a large trailer. 91 octane gas or better without ethanol is worth it when hauling our 17 foot trailer. Otherwise, no benefit from better gas. By the way, I agree that the tank is small, but with a 5 or 6 foot cargo box, lots of room for jerry cans.

Incidentally, if you feel the v6 is underpowered, then TRD offers a supercharger for $4500 (US only, not in Canada). If you throw that on, you'll have scary power to play with.

Just a note about the Prado which you referenced in your Lexus pros and cons - the Tacoma shares the same suspension as the Prado. Same truck, different body.

You won't regret the Tacoma.

Now then, I don't have direct experience with the 4runner, but I have yet to come across any negative reviews. A note about your V6 worries - it is the same powerplant as the Tacoma (I'm assuming you aren't thinking about the I4 option for the Taco). The Lexus gets similar rave reviews. Both vehicles are a ton more $ than the Tacoma. Now then, it might be that for that extra $ you will get a vehicle that has the very options you want - in which case go for it.

Unless you are a full size truck guy, I suspect you'll find the Tundra too big, especially on the trail.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
1. Have you considered the Sequoia? Lots of room and same drivetrain as the Tundra. Personally I like the 2001- 2007 Sequoias, before they got huge. 4.7 V8 + 5 speed auto (2005 - 2007 only), multi-mode 4wd (can use 4wd on the highway or 2wd for better fuel economy) and a big (26 gallon) tank. I considered going to a Sequoia when I bought my 4th gen but since it's just the wife and me, the 4runner made more sense. If I had kids, though, I would have been all over that Sequoia. One minor thing, I don't care for column-shift transmissions but all things considered that's a minor consideration.

2. Are you stuck on Toyota? Nothing wrong with that necessarily but if you are willing to look at other options there are some available (Nissan R51 Pathfinder and Armada come to mind, also Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe, etc.)

austintaco

Explorer
I think you are overly concerned about the fuel tank size...if you have a family of 4 along you will be stopping often enough to keep it filled anyway.
I don't have kids, but this was my thought exactly. I can hold it for hours, but my wife....not so much. My brother has traveled extensively with his two girls and that's his limiting factor. Sure, as the boys get older they can hold it longer, but that still leaves your wife to contend with. I think room will be your biggest issue as the family grows. I might hold off and use what you got in the stable now. Lots of cool stuff being rumored to be heading our way.

austintaco

Explorer
Based on what you want to do, I would also look at VW Westfalias. I know this is a Toyota section, but they are just so cool. The 4wd models are pricey and may not be needed if you are not doing any rock crawling. Not that you would rock crawl a Syncros, but it would be more capable off road.

Friggin_Fuego

I don't have kids, but this was my thought exactly. I can hold it for hours, but my wife....not so much. My brother has traveled extensively with his two girls and that's his limiting factor. Sure, as the boys get older they can hold it longer, but that still leaves your wife to contend with. I think room will be your biggest issue as the family grows. I might hold off and use what you got in the stable now. Lots of cool stuff being rumored to be heading our way.

Now that you guys mentioned it, I guess I didn't consider how small my children's bladders will be, LOL. I'll be making stops no matter what.

I'm running a 2013 Tacoma DCSB with my family of 5 plus a dog. Fits children's seats easily. Works and hauls well. I'm a big fan. If you are considering a build up, I'd get the base model, add intermittent wipers (it is a $160 part that is plug and play - takes 5 minutes to do) and then begin to add the suspension and other bits that you want. You will get a far better machine for far less than the SR5 and TRD cost.

Premium gas is not needed and in fact will not assist in how it drives unless you are hauling a large trailer. 91 octane gas or better without ethanol is worth it when hauling our 17 foot trailer. Otherwise, no benefit from better gas. By the way, I agree that the tank is small, but with a 5 or 6 foot cargo box, lots of room for jerry cans.

Incidentally, if you feel the v6 is underpowered, then TRD offers a supercharger for $4500 (US only, not in Canada). If you throw that on, you'll have scary power to play with.

Just a note about the Prado which you referenced in your Lexus pros and cons - the Tacoma shares the same suspension as the Prado. Same truck, different body.

You won't regret the Tacoma.

Now then, I don't have direct experience with the 4runner, but I have yet to come across any negative reviews. A note about your V6 worries - it is the same powerplant as the Tacoma (I'm assuming you aren't thinking about the I4 option for the Taco). The Lexus gets similar rave reviews. Both vehicles are a ton more $ than the Tacoma. Now then, it might be that for that extra $ you will get a vehicle that has the very options you want - in which case go for it.

Unless you are a full size truck guy, I suspect you'll find the Tundra too big, especially on the trail.

That's one of the best things about the Tacoma is the truck bed. Extra jerry cans for sure can make up for a small fuel tank size.

1. Have you considered the Sequoia? Lots of room and same drivetrain as the Tundra. Personally I like the 2001- 2007 Sequoias, before they got huge. 4.7 V8 + 5 speed auto (2005 - 2007 only), multi-mode 4wd (can use 4wd on the highway or 2wd for better fuel economy) and a big (26 gallon) tank. I considered going to a Sequoia when I bought my 4th gen but since it's just the wife and me, the 4runner made more sense. If I had kids, though, I would have been all over that Sequoia. One minor thing, I don't care for column-shift transmissions but all things considered that's a minor consideration.

2. Are you stuck on Toyota? Nothing wrong with that necessarily but if you are willing to look at other options there are some available (Nissan R51 Pathfinder and Armada come to mind, also Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe, etc.)

1. I haven't thought about the previous generation Sequioa, but now that you mention some of the nice features it has, I'll look it through.
2. I love Toyota reliability and wouldn't change it. For a first model year, my 2007 FJ has been trouble free.

I think that all of your points about the vehicles that you mention are spot on. I am looking to get a Tundra Double Cab before the end of the year. I have recently read on the interwebs (must be true then) that Toyota will be putting a 38 gallon tank into the Tundra and to me that is a complete game changer. I am going to wait until the 2015's come out to see if this rumor is true. If so it's going to be a 2015 for me.

Yeah, from what I've read, the future looks to be bright. A redesigned Tacoma for 2016, what you mentioned about the bigger Tundra fuel tank, and Toyota bringing back the Land Cruiser 70 series in Japan which has sparked interest in U.S. media outlets. If there ever is a 70 series to be launched in the US, I'll be all over it!

Haberdasher

I went through the same decision process for my family of 4 and went with a used '11 4Runner Limited. Could not be happier with it. Lots of room, solid build, creature comforts, etc. The overlanding has been mild so far and mods are slow to come on but precedent suggests it can evolve to have all the capability I will need. Went with the limited as the full time 4WD (or 'AWD' I always get confused) with locking centre dif sounded best for the patchy wet snow we get in my area.

fj40_nut

I'd land with a new 4runner but my FJ62 keeps on going. I do like the economy and the punch the 4runners have. I'd just like to see more aftermarket options. Maybe that will evolve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MojaveMadMan

Observer
I vote the Tacoma with the longer bed if room for gear is a large concern. You get the 4 doors, the huge aftermarket support, and more than enough space for all of your stuff. Or the short bed with a rack and some careful planning can carry more than enough stuff!

I also like the 4th Gen 4runners and I am curious why you would blow past them and go right towards the 5th Gen? I get your argument about the one you currently own, but why not buy one that doesn't have the rust and build it? The suspension and drive train are basically the same on the 4th and 5th Gens from what I understand. Doesn't seem worth it to me to spend an extra $10 to $15K just to get the newer body style...

I will say having owned both a 2nd Gen Tacoma, and 4th Gen 4runner that they are both amazing rigs each having their little differences. Never had a problem with power from the V6 in either rig. I loaded my Tacoma down probably too much a few times and had no problem lugging that weight up mountain passes; seriously I never was left wanting. The Tacoma was a little more bouncy and shifted a little different to match the needs of the truck, while the 4runner was a smoother ride and different shift points to match more road driving. That said, I have taken the 4runner out a few times in 2wd with the LSD and it worked great in the dirt! The 4runner is a little more plush and I feel it is designed for those longer road trips where you will be sitting down in the vehicle longer. A lot of small comforts that the Tacoma doesn't have, your family will appreciate it more.

Seems like the real question is what is more important, payload or comfort? Most of your cons can be easily addressed on either of these rigs so you just need to decide which one has the features you would most desire...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne