What series what to buy

Kenyi

Observer
Hi all.

Moved to the States 2 years ago landed in California AWESOME been a happy camper but we got enough of tents and our Volvo xc70 awd doesn't take us to far in our expeditions :):):):)

So I got a green light from wifey to get a passenger van and in time convert it to a 4x4.

When family visit us, we are going to be around 8 - 9 passenger.
Otherwise its just me and my wife. Remove some seats put a bed on the back and we go were the roads end.

-The hauling is going to be 2 MTB
-Would like to put a penthouse top
-No rock climbing.

Question

What to look in a stock ford passenger van that is going to have a 4x4 conversion in future
-E150 E250 or E350
-FWD or RWD
-Does it matter what kind of axel it has from stock or do they need to be replace anyway
-What engine to choose and reliability
-6.4 L twin turbo diesel
-6.0 L turbo diesel
-5.4 L engine
-V10 engine

Thanks for looking :beer:

Eric3187

Adventurer
From all my searches prior to buying my van, most folks would say find a 7.3L powerstroke or the V10. You will get hit or miss opinions on the 6.0 Diesel, but with a few mods to the motor you can have a reliable setup.

I have the 6.0L powerstroke in my van (E350), stock except for 4" cat back and cat delete, 16.5mpg in the city, close to 20mpg on the highway. I have plans for all the bullet proofing mods which will be started in the first week of October, then i will have no worries about the motor at all.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
It's hard to pass up this one if you are looking for a 4x4, diesel passenger van. It's listed on Sacramento Craigslist: 2000 Ford E-350, Quigley 4x4, 7.3 diesel, 12 passenger. $12k

For some reason the link wont attach. I have zero connection to the seller or ad.

Kenyi

Observer
Thanks for the reply eric3187.

I've been reading a lot in this forum and most lean towards the 7.3 or V10. I don't know if I need that kind of power for the 4x4 conversion, on the other hand I don't have the experience like some folks in this forum have with 4x4 vans . That's why I'm looking for feedback.
Is a 5.4L a poor engine for a conversion????
Is the 6.4 diesel better or is it just a matter of personal choice???
l would like to get a newer van that is no more then 8 years old and that's why I put the fifth generation ford E series engines on the list, based on wikipedia. I know that there are some bad newer engines out there and some older good engine, but I want a newer model. Also read about the 6.0 diesel like the one you have and all the mods that it needs to make it bulletproof. I can do very limited work where I live and that kills the budget for me. Because the conversion is probably going to made by a pro and that is going to cost.

Kenyi

Observer
It's hard to pass up this one if you are looking for a 4x4, diesel passenger van. It's listed on Sacramento Craigslist: 2000 Ford E-350, Quigley 4x4, 7.3 diesel, 12 passenger. $12k

For some reason the link wont attach. I have zero connection to the seller or ad.

Thanks been doing some reading about Quigley that is expensive to fix??? is that so??? I don't know just going whit stuff I read leaning more to a Ujointoffroad convertion.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Thanks been doing some reading about Quigley that is expensive to fix??? is that so??? I don't know just going whit stuff I read leaning more to a Ujointoffroad convertion.

I can only speak from my personal experience. My work usually buys 1 or 2 Quigley's every couple of years. They are used in a commercial capacity and we have had zero problems with the 4 wheel drive systems. We live on the Eastern slope of the Sierra NV Mtn. range where we can go weeks at a time driving in snow/4WD. They are not used in an "Off Road" environment like most of the readers of this forum intend.

That being said, I have contacted U-Joint Off Road on a couple of different occasions while looking for a suitable van to convert for my personal use and he has always been very helpful, knowledgeable and patient. I do not doubt his information, nor his expertise. If I were starting a van build from scratch, Chris and U Joint would be my first stop.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Here are a couple things I have learned in my search.
Based on you wanting a 8 ish year old van and a desire for ujoint stuff....

05-06, v10, 6.0 both came with 5 speed auto, 5.4 with 4 speed, 4 spd has to be removed to convert to 4x4 output shaft not the case with 5 spd
'07, first year with RSC (roll stability control) in passenger vans not cargo, costs more to adapt 4x4 to RSC system but you get bigger (f550) brakes
'08 first year for new front grill/bodywork
'09 first year for new dash, RSC started showing up on cargo vans
'10 6.0 discontinued, no diesel replacement

Kenyi

Observer
I can only speak from my personal experience. My work usually buys 1 or 2 Quigley's every couple of years. They are used in a commercial capacity and we have had zero problems with the 4 wheel drive systems. We live on the Eastern slope of the Sierra NV Mtn. range where we can go weeks at a time driving in snow/4WD. They are not used in an "Off Road" environment like most of the readers of this forum intend.

That being said, I have contacted U-Joint Off Road on a couple of different occasions while looking for a suitable van to convert for my personal use and he has always been very helpful, knowledgeable and patient. I do not doubt his information, nor his expertise. If I were starting a van build from scratch, Chris and U Joint would be my first stop.

Yes you are right I should get in contact whit U joint and mail him my questions....

Did a tube search on Quigley and found that there conversion are not that bad off the road.

Are those part kind of stock parts for the conversion????? se Quigley's description bellow.

For me Reading that is pretty much word and numbers.

Quigley incorporates a vast majority of Ford components, including the F-350 front drive-steer axle and Magna / New Venture transfer case, into our conversion for ease of service. Lock out hubs, front shocks, brake pads, brake calipers and rotors are also from the Ford F-Series. With the F-Series brake calipers and rotors we are required to change the E-Series 16” tires and wheels to the F-Series 17” tires and wheels for clearance. All of these components are purchased new, direct from Ford or the Ford manufacturer. The following is a list of installed or retained components of the Quigley 4x4 Ford system

1. Conversion to Include:
a. front-drive-steer axle, with 3.55*, 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratio, Dana Ford F-Series
b. manual or automatic lock-out hubs Ford F-Series
c. steering stabilizer Ford F-Series
d. transfer case, Magna / New Venture Ford F-Series
e. brake pads Ford F-Series
f. front brake calipers and brake rotors Ford F-Series
g. 4-point torque arm with track bar suspension, axle anhorages Quigley Motor Company
h. tie rods, steering linkage Ford F-Series
i. LT245/70R17E A/S tires mounted on Ford 17” Steel wheels Ford F-Series
j. adapter for rear wheels to accept new bolt pattern (170MM) Quigley Motor Company
k. drive shafts, front and rear Dana Spicer / Neapco
l. 36 month / 36,000 miles Parts and Labor Warranty
m. conversion shall not add more than 3.5” to height
n. indicator light for front axle engagement
2. Conversion to Retain if so Equipped:
a. front brake hoses OEM
b. front E-Series anti-sway bar OEM
c. pitman arm OEM
d. four wheel Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) OEM
e. Advance Trac with Roll Stability Control system (RSC) OEM
f. Traction Control OEM
g. Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) OEM
3. Operating Levers:
a. Single lever shift controls for front axle engage, high-neutral-low range. Lever must clear seat when in
full back and full forward positions.
b. Prime and paint all linkage black.
4. Operating Placard:
a. Attach placard to underside of sunvisor. If so required for GSA, an operating instruction placard on dash panel, black lettering on white background.
Ford Ship Though Code: 31K D9D
OR
Ford Drop Ship Code: 88DZ02
GSA Option Code in FEDERAL STANDARDS 307: AWDC

Last edited:

Kenyi

Observer
Here are a couple things I have learned in my search.
Based on you wanting a 8 ish year old van and a desire for ujoint stuff....

05-06, v10, 6.0 both came with 5 speed auto, 5.4 with 4 speed, 4 spd has to be removed to convert to 4x4 output shaft not the case with 5 spd
'07, first year with RSC (roll stability control) in passenger vans not cargo, costs more to adapt 4x4 to RSC system but you get bigger (f550) brakes
'08 first year for new front grill/bodywork
'09 first year for new dash, RSC started showing up on cargo vans
'10 6.0 discontinued, no diesel replacement

Thanks good info.

mikracer

Adventurer
What part of CA are you in? Theres also a company called Agile Offroad based out of El Cajon (San Diego). They do a Twin Traction Beam conversion which also allows for good suspension travel. One negative thing about Quigley is the lack of suspension travel with their conversions. Agile also offers a package which increases suspension travel for Quigley conversions.

I've heard nothing but good things about Chris and Ujoint too. I think I read that the turning radius is super tight with his 6" kit too. You can buy his kit in pieces so you can do your conversion in stages which is nice.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
If you're wanting a 4x4 van in the end, I'd hold out for one that's already converted. That said, after weighing the pros and cons, I'm going to keep mine as a 2wd. Although Ujoints kits look awesome, my 8500 lb van will never be able to go the places my Fj40 land cruiser can go. When I worked for BC Forrest Service, I never needed to put my work truck in 4wd for any of the Forrest Service roads in the district. I figure the Limited Slip (or perhaps an air locker) and possibly a winch will take me anywhere I'll want to go. But hey, it's your money. For me, I'd rather keep the simpler drivetrain and better fuel economy.

Kenyi

Observer
Thanks guys for reply.

Bikersmurf thanks for the input but I really want a 4x4 Van whit a new conversion that starts whit me :).

After some email to Chris/Ujoint I got convince that the 7.3 is the way to go so we got one 01 E350 7.3 XLT 12 passenger It's Awesome WE GOT A VAN :smiley_drive::sombrero::sombrero: dirty as hell inside
but that's no problem now it's ours now:D. Now we need a 4x4 conversion not in a hurry but getting quotes to have an idea of how much it's going to cost.

mikracer I looked up Agile Off-road looks good and it's close I live in the Bay Area and also found "Quadvan" is close to.
It's hard to know what to get sense Ujoint, Quadvan and Agile are so different but they are all Off Road conversions :confused: would like to try some conversion but that's not possible
and that leaves us to get as much info as possible an figure it out what cover our needs i guess.

If there are some grammatic error English is not native to me :):)

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
We have two 7.3L's coming in tomorrow evening from the Bay Area for 4X4 conversions. There is no connection between the two owners but they just happen to be from the same area and have the same vans as you. Maybe we can get you together with them when they get back there. We have a 2001 SMB with 5.4L that we just finished a 4X4 conversion on that is going back to San Francisco on Friday. The Bay area is a hot market. We have done a few other 7.3s in the last few months as well.

This is a 2014 V10 that came to us with only 1,200 miles on it and then went straight to Baja for for a month and 3,000 miles after we finished it and got used hard based on the bent Aluminess Bumper.

20140912_070409.jpg

20140801_184403.jpg

20140801_184343.jpg

Kenyi

Observer
I email you guys a couple days ago for a Quote I still haven't got any answer :)

If the guys are up to meet that would be great let me know :):):):) my email should be in your inbox by now I just resend it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94