A family camping trip in a series 1

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Howdy everyone. We (my wife, 3 kids, and I) are planning a family camping trip next year. We have a 1954 Series 1 Station Wagon (86") that I got for $500. It hasn't run for at least 20 years, has no wiring, no brakes, no glass, etc. The plan is to patch it up a little bit (windows, basic seats, brakes, get the engine running, etc) and ship it to London in August 2015 and then drive it to Singapore.

It's only 12,000 miles, but I am guessing it will take 6 months or so, since the truck is slow, and I expect it to break down pretty much every other day.

Our route will be across the channel on boat/train, through Europe, Greece, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia, and arrive Singapore in early 2016. That will give us enough time to be back in North America for the 2016 NW Overland Rally.

If all goes well it will be the 60th anniversary of the Oxford and Cambridge First Overland London-Singapore trip of 1955-56. I met those guys in Singapore in 2006 when they flew out for the 50th anniversary, and the story of that trip really inspired my wife and I.

I'm looking forward to the simplicity and slow speed of this vehicle but also dreading it. The series 1 only had 49 hp when new. I imagine it hasn't increased with age. We will be a family of 5, with some basic camping gear in the truck as well as a bit of food, fuel, and water. So it will be a tight fit, and I think if we can average 40mph we will be happy.

There is no Air Conditioning obviously, so I imagine we will be driving through places like Iran with the door-tops/rear-door taken off, and wrapping wet towels around our heads/necks when it gets toasty. We have driven our D110 (200tdi) in Death Valley in the summer with no A/C so we know what that feels like. It's not pleasant but it's doable. The series has a tropical roof so that will help a bit.

Anyways, I am just starting to get serious about the whole thing. I just did some welding to the series frame to make it not as likely to break in half on the first bump, did some basic repairs to the hubs and stub axles, and started calling around to get quotes to rebuild the engine. As it turns out, it's pretty expensive so I might just pull it apart myself and see how hard it will be to do a lot of it myself. How hard can it be? I do know that two of the 4 cylinders have rust in them, so I am expecting the block will need to be bored-out and sleeved, or just honed if I am really lucky. I do like the current look of the truck (no paint, dents everywhere, bits missing, random holes in the body, rusty bulkhead, mis-colored dash, etc, etc) so I don't think I will bother to hammer it straight or paint it. Besides, as I have learned in a lot of places, when you look poor, you kind of fly under the radar.

I will try to take some photos of the process as I work on the truck.

Gear-wise I am thinking of a shared 4-6 man ground-tent, 2 jerry cans (1 each) of gas and water, a simple stove that runs on gas, a pot that will fit 5 plates and cutlery, and each family member will have a 40L dry bag for their clothes, personal stuff, and personal camping kit (sleeping bag, pad, etc) which can be strapped to the roof.

Recovery gear will be a bottle jack, a pair of maxtracks, and maybe (I haven't decided yet) a small 4000 lb winch.

I'd welcome advise from people who have done long trips in series trucks, or who have recent travel experience in some of the countries we are planning to visit. Random questions and criticism are also welcome.

Cheers

Ray

series 1.jpg

iowalr4

Adventurer
I am not sure I can use the phrase "family camping trip" anymore. I think you re-defined it.

So I guess I will have to start using "family LR4-Luxury extremely-safe-region moderate-temperate-zone spoiled-gear-geek trip"

Good luck!

You sir are a brave man.

I had the 80" out today...90ish dedrees..flippin' humid and sunny.

I was glad for the shade even with door tops off and sides rolled up.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
You sir are a brave man.

I had the 80" out today...90ish dedrees..flippin' humid and sunny.

I was glad for the shade even with door tops off and sides rolled up.

Do you have any fuel issues in the 80" when you are driving in temps above 100-110F? I am thinking a simple heat-shied (tinfoil) around the fuel line near the carb might help prevent fuel vaporization, although I know some people just wrap a rag around the carb and soak it with water. I'm sure I can figure it out as needed, but happy to not recreate the wheel if I don't need to.

zeroland

Adventurer
Great idea. It will certainly be a trip to be remembered and the boys will love the adventure.
There have been very few trans-continental overland trips using a short wheel base (SWB) vehicle and hardly anyone taking extra passengers along for the ride. One of the early trips (1953) saw a family travel South from the UK in a Series I. You might find some useful info on traveling with passengers.

a47aca2.jpg

I guess the biggest issue we have today is the amount of equipment we take along. Good luck sorting the essential items from the 'nice to have'. Ditch all recovery equipment as you will be traveling along a busy route with plenty of local people to push you out of trouble :)

Look forward to following your thoughts and progress...

Do you have any fuel issues in the 80" when you are driving in temps above 100-110F? I am thinking a simple heat-shied (tinfoil) around the fuel line near the carb might help prevent fuel vaporization, although I know some people just wrap a rag around the carb and soak it with water. I'm sure I can figure it out as needed, but happy to not recreate the wheel if I don't need to.

When I first got the truck it had a "Facet" looking solid state fuel pump that did not like being hot at all.

I replaced it with a plain old but new o.e. style pump from Burlen in the UK.

Its been great for the past 2+ years. We'll see how it likes elevation next month in Utah ;)

Oh! I almost forgot...my first vote is for better seat foam!! ;)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Ray, rather than wet towels to wrap around your heads, why don't I donate some African Kikoys to you guys for the trip. Amazing piece of kit, an African sarong made from 100% cotton. Lost World Expeditions will vouch for them. Have them in numerous colors and would be happy to send them your way.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
11, 12, and 14. Three boys. I think it should be a cool learning experience.

Ive got 3 boys as well, 14 (6'0"), 13 (5'11") and 10 (5'4"). It would be a tight fit for my wife and I to have all of us live out of such a small vehicle.

Not that it cant be done, but id at least sugest stocking up on a case of these.

sxnsmtff.jpg

-Jeff

shogun

Adventurer
11, 12, and 14. Three boys. I think it should be a cool learning experience.

Sounds like fun. We did ECDD with my kids, 10/12 last fall. Three days and I never touched the wheel. They drove the entire trip, RHD, non-synchro trans. Great learning tool.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
When I first got the truck it had a "Facet" looking solid state fuel pump that did not like being hot at all.

I replaced it with a plain old but new o.e. style pump from Burlen in the UK.

Its been great for the past 2+ years. We'll see how it likes elevation next month in Utah ;)

Oh! I almost forgot...my first vote is for better seat foam!! ;)

Good tip on the pump.

And there are no seats in my truck, so improving the foam should be easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ray, rather than wet towels to wrap around your heads, why don't I donate some African Kikoys to you guys for the trip. Amazing piece of kit, an African sarong made from 100% cotton. Lost World Expeditions will vouch for them. Have them in numerous colors and would be happy to send them your way.

I think if we are enroute to Singapore we might need to use Peranakan sarongs.

;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94