A family camping trip in a series 1

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Something to consider... Series II/IIA/III parts may be "everywhere" but you will not find a SI rear halfshaft or new bearings for the IOE 2.0L really anywhere, let alone everywhere. I like the romanticised angle of this trip just make sure that its backed by reality.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Oh yeah, I understand the reality of it. There will be a time when we are sitting next to a garage in the middle of nowhere, having been towed into town behind a bus, and waiting for 2 or 3 weeks for a random part to arrive from London.

I remember flying from NY to Cairo one time with random Rover parts in my carry-on bag for a buddy of mine. TSA at JFK were not very pleased with me...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I think there is a country song about that. You are a good friend to some lucky guy.
Oh yeah, I understand the reality of it. There will be a time when we are sitting next to a garage in the middle of nowhere, having been towed into town behind a bus, and waiting for 2 or 3 weeks for a random part to arrive from London.

I remember flying from NY to Cairo one time with random Rover parts in my carry-on bag for a buddy of mine. TSA at JFK were not very pleased with me...

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
So I was practicing stealing random rover parts, to get in shape for when we forage our way across Eurasia.

Turns out you can re-and-re a Series 1 windshield with my child's Swiss Army knife. Good to know...
e599a860c8f9458b38c11ea95d24415c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xCSx

Adventurer
I thought this was another one of those threads that would probably never happen, until I saw the author... good luck!

LR Max

Local Oaf
You might also consider adding a 2nd fuel tank under the drivers seat. Can double your range and then you don't have to worry about carrying (much) extra fuel. I've got dual tanks in my 109 and I never carry a gas can when on trips.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Yep. Tempted to pick up an old mid 50s Triumph motorbike when we are in the UK so people can take turns riding, just for a break from the truck...

I vote Royal Enfield considering your heading into Pakistan/India. I've had a similar trip in mind for a long time, in my Rangie, or maybe in a diesel 88 Series II. I'm a proponent of the ultra light approach as well. My fiancée broke up with me when I suggested taking such a trip so I'm envious of you having such an awesome family!

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
You might also consider adding a 2nd fuel tank under the drivers seat. Can double your range and then you don't have to worry about carrying (much) extra fuel. I've got dual tanks in my 109 and I never carry a gas can when on trips.

I was thinking of that, but decided that if I can mount the Jerry Cans to the front bumper, like the First Overland guys did, I can use that space under the seat for a basic tool kit and some fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, gearbox oil). It's the only locking part of the truck. (No door locks on this truck - that's one of the reasons for not bringing anything of value that I can't carry on my person.)

On most of my trips to anywhere interesting, I find I end up not using 90% of what I bring, unless I am deep in the jungle somewhere. I explored East Timor in a beat-up, borrowed former UN Hilux one time. It came with nothing, not even a jack or a spare tire. My whole kit fit in a 20L backpack. Toothbrush, Mozzie-net, Deet, a change of clothes, and my camera. Not having to worry about my gear let me experience the country in a whole new way. I happily abandoned the truck on a beach and got a fisherman to take me to Jaco Island to explore. I wasn't concerned about people breaking into the truck, because I left nothing inside it.

Food is available everywhere there are people, and planning well and eating simply, means not worrying about leftovers, not needing a fridge or cooler, etc. Our friend Ara (and his dog Spirit) live off a bike and sidecar. He is a gourmet chef. He showed us that you really don't need a fridge or cooler to eat well on the road. Buy fresh, and eat what you buy. Lots of food can last for a few days or a week without refrigeration. Simple spices and seasoning take little space and go a long way.

Our regular kitchen bag (attached with my hat to show scale) is about 12 x 10 x 14 inches, and contains our deep cast iron pan, 5 stainless bowl-plates, 5 cups, assorted cooking and eating utensils, a lighter for the stove, our snowpeak knife/cutting board, seasoning, cooking oil, a washing-up sponge with detergent, and a Coughlan's folding sink. We've used this setup for about 8 years now, and it has fed our family of 5 many great meals. The only part of our kitchen that doesn't fit in the bag is the Coleman stove. I have an old mid-60's stove that I got at a garage sale for about a dollar. It's been everywhere and refuses to die. I was thinking of using it on this trip since it runs on gasoline, but to save space and weight I think I may use an MSR Dragonfly instead.

bag.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 14

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I was thinking of that, but decided that if I can mount the Jerry Cans to the front bumper, like the First Overland guys did, I can use that space under the seat for a basic tool kit and some fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, gearbox oil). It's the only locking part of the truck. (No door locks on this truck - that's one of the reasons for not bringing anything of value that I can't carry on my person.)

On most of my trips to anywhere interesting, I find I end up not using 90% of what I bring, unless I am deep in the jungle somewhere. I explored East Timor in a beat-up, borrowed former UN Hilux one time. It came with nothing, not even a jack or a spare tire. My whole kit fit in a 20L backpack. Toothbrush, Mozzie-net, Deet, a change of clothes, and my camera. Not having to worry about my gear let me experience the country in a whole new way. I happily abandoned the truck on a beach and got a fisherman to take me to Jaco Island to explore. I wasn't concerned about people breaking into the truck, because I left nothing inside it.

Food is available everywhere there are people, and planning well and eating simply, means not worrying about leftovers, not needing a fridge or cooler, etc. Our friend Ara (and his dog Spirit) live off a bike and sidecar. He is a gourmet chef. He showed us that you really don't need a fridge or cooler to eat well on the road. Buy fresh, and eat what you buy. Lots of food can last for a few days or a week without refrigeration. Simple spices and seasoning take little space and go a long way.

Our regular kitchen bag (attached with my hat to show scale) is about 12 x 10 x 14 inches, and contains our deep cast iron pan, 5 stainless bowl-plates, 5 cups, assorted cooking and eating utensils, a lighter for the stove, our snowpeak knife/cutting board, seasoning, cooking oil, a washing-up sponge with detergent, and a Coughlan's folding sink. We've used this setup for about 8 years now, and it has fed our family of 5 many great meals. The only part of our kitchen that doesn't fit in the bag is the Coleman stove. I have an old mid-60's stove that I got at a garage sale for about a dollar. It's been everywhere and refuses to die. I was thinking of using it on this trip since it runs on gasoline, but to save space and weight I think I may use an MSR Dragonfly instead.

View attachment 243006

Awesome! This is the way to pack in my opinion. Anyone who has backpacked over distances knows how little you can do without. Paul Theroux has travelled all over the world with one bag, on foot, trains, etc., why not in a vehicle?

This is like preaching to the converted with a gent of your experience and knowledge :)
but anyway here goes. I reckon weight will be your number one enemy.It appears you are keeping the existing half shafts, a Series 1 was never designed for 3000 lbs payloads so you are going to have to go light.
As you are looking at extra fuel maybe have the little un up front with you and the missus and the 2 bigger kids on a forward seat between the wheel well atop a fuel tank. 1 jerry can of water between 5 may be a bit thin if all goes pear shaped so 2 jerry can of water on the front bumper might be the way to go.
Echo a lot of what has been said viz. replace fuel pump with electric, parabolics would be so sweet, I had a rebuilt solex in my Series 1 and it worked fine but never did a 12 000 m trip in it, redo all the wiring trying to eliminate anythig with Lucas on it and and and ..........
Even in our neck of the woods where Series 1's were available, parts are becoming very hard to come by so if you can replace with anythig Series 2 or 3 it will make life a lot easier. (Not that this seems the case:) )
Huge respect for the endeavor and more than a touch of envy!

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
Do not overload the vehicle,weight limits are king here in Europe, if you have/cause,get involved in a serious accident over here and the authorities deem the weight to be a contribution, you could potentially be in very deep brown smelly stuff.
Plus you'll just cause undue stress on the truck itself.

tacr2man

Adventurer
A few observations , how long do you think your kids are going to handle hours of slow travel , in an uncomfortable vehicle with little distraction . Putting jerrycans of petrol on the front bumper , is probably going to be a non starter in many countries , diesel Ok , or water . I had a couple of enquiries as to what was in mine travelling in a 109 back in late 60's ! A series with semi floating rear axle goes nowhere without lifting when bearing goes. Travelling with children that are unrestrained isnt allowed in front seats in EU .Series 1 max 1000lbs payload . Good idea electric pet pump to switch on when mech pump heatsoaks at a halt , the mech pump will happily suck thru the other pump , I rerouted fuel pipe to have electric pump mounted low down on front of tank . 750x16 tyres work better than the oe 600x16 . JMHO ps a good long pre trip trip with all concerned probably a good move :)

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
This is like preaching to the converted with a gent of your experience and knowledge :)
but anyway here goes. I reckon weight will be your number one enemy.It appears you are keeping the existing half shafts, a Series 1 was never designed for 3000 lbs payloads so you are going to have to go light.
As you are looking at extra fuel maybe have the little un up front with you and the missus and the 2 bigger kids on a forward seat between the wheel well atop a fuel tank. 1 jerry can of water between 5 may be a bit thin if all goes pear shaped so 2 jerry can of water on the front bumper might be the way to go.
Echo a lot of what has been said viz. replace fuel pump with electric, parabolics would be so sweet, I had a rebuilt solex in my Series 1 and it worked fine but never did a 12 000 m trip in it, redo all the wiring trying to eliminate anythig with Lucas on it and and and ..........
Even in our neck of the woods where Series 1's were available, parts are becoming very hard to come by so if you can replace with anythig Series 2 or 3 it will make life a lot easier. (Not that this seems the case:) )
Huge respect for the endeavor and more than a touch of envy!

It's almost always the short rear shaft that breaks. I have a spare so I may bring it along.

I will likely put Series 2 or 3 items in where it makes sense (master cylinders, etc)

Yep, two jerry cans of water up front is probably prudent in desert regions, otherwise just one. And a can of fuel on any super long stretches, otherwise the fuel can will be empty on the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne