A family camping trip in a series 1

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Hi,

Me and my husband and four kids age at the time 17, 16, 13 and 10 had been taking the overland journey using our mercedes sprinter motorhome from The UK to Malaysia. We depart from north east of england on 13th July 2013 and reach border Thailand- Malaysia on 14 december 2013.

We not fully prepare and our motorhome is not overland type, but we made it. I do hope I can share some of my experience with you. We been rob twice in Iran. Nevertheless, it was an experince journey and great learning for my kids. Although it has been tough time living in small space with 3 teenager!

I'd love to hear more about your trip.

I imagine it will be a challenge for us too, with three teenagers in a mini-truck with the same wheelbase as a Suzuki Sidekick.

If only we could predict sunny weather and do the whole trip with the top off...

top off.jpg

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Oops, I realise I haven't updated this thread for a while.

So, the truck is coming along. Put some new tires on it. (General Grabber AT2). Decided to go tubeless on the stock tubed rims. Seems to be holding air so far.

Managed to complete my Carnet paperwork and get that all sent in. We've added Dubai and UAE to our Carnet, just in case we want to take a ferry/freighter around Baluchistan, it gives us a few more options.

The truck is running OK but we are making it simpler and more reliable. I found an original Solex carb, and I'm getting it rebuilt by Peter at Three Brothers in Ontario. This will eliminate the need for a complex after-market fuel-pressurization system like the truck currently has and needs.

And I ordered a new wiring loom from Autosparks UK. The truck is a roadside fire in the making right now, so cleaning up the wiring will be a big step towards reliability. Unfourtunately Autosparks makes Canadian buyers purchase through a US company. So by the time the loom is sent to the US, and then re-exported to Canada (where I pay shipping, tax and duty again...) and then the loom cost is converted from Pounds to USD, and then to CDN, I end up paying almost 50% extra for the loom than if I could just buy from the UK and pay the shipping. What an amazing screw-around and way to guarantee you lose all your Canadian customers.

Since we are going to be alone, I want to ensure simple and cost-effective traction. So, I have picked up an ARB High-output, small-size air compressor (CKMA12) and matching hose/chuck kit. This way I can easily and quickly adjust pressure as needed, and not just "push through" because it's a PITA. Also I will feel more comfortable exploring a sandy track or beach, knowing I can deflate/inflate easily. Plus the adaptors mean it will be fast and easy to inflate air mattresses each night when we are camping. Less time wheezing means more time enjoying a beverage and looking at the scenery.

For stoves, we've decided on the MSR Dragonfly (yes the horribly loud one) because it's small, runs on unleaded, is easy-ish to clean and maintain, and most of all, is easy to simmer. We cook a LOT of rice. So the ability to simmer is critical for our family.

cgalpin

Observer
You are going to need contacts around the world anyway, so now would have been the perfect time to establish a relationship with someone in the UK to purchase it and then ship it on to you. Usually you can return the favor at some point for equally stupid reasons.
Unfourtunately Autosparks makes Canadian buyers purchase through a US company. So by the time the loom is sent to the US, and then re-exported to Canada (where I pay shipping, tax and duty again...) and then the loom cost is converted from Pounds to USD, and then to CDN, I end up paying almost 50% extra for the loom than if I could just buy from the UK and pay the shipping. What an amazing screw-around and way to guarantee you lose all your Canadian customers.

Looking forward to seeing you and your family make this trip, but I think you are crazy :)

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
You are going to need contacts around the world anyway, so now would have been the perfect time to establish a relationship with someone in the UK to purchase it and then ship it on to you. Usually you can return the favor at some point for equally stupid reasons.

Actually I have lots of friends and family in the UK, but didn't want to trouble them. I think the company should be more proactive and not make me need to ask a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slcrover

-generator works perfectly fine for recharging phones and cameras - I use the original genny in my 80 to charge and run a GPS receiver and tablet- it also is more durable than some cheapo alternator. Its also easy to oil the bearings and keep it going. Of course it costs more - its better. If that level of expense is an issue for you, it would raise questions about the viability of the trip for you.
-points are less hassle than EI when they fail
-giant seats= less leg room and less interior space = less comfort AND a complete assache to refuel the car and limits access the toolbox
-sell overdrive take proceeds and buy far more fuel than you will save using it and also remove a point of failure and cut down on spares you need to carry.

View attachment 267466

I have to agree with leafsprung. While I haven't had thousands of miles of travel in my 86", I have had no complaints or discomfort with my standard seats... That storage under-seat is invaluable, and while I do like my overdrive, I would consider it unnecessary with a 2L. (I have a mutt with a 2.25). All of the series rovers in my family used to have EI, but with the non stop issues we've all reverted back to points. (that's not to say I don't have friends who swear by them).

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I have to agree with leafsprung. While I haven't had thousands of miles of travel in my 86", I have had no complaints or discomfort with my standard seats... That storage under-seat is invaluable, and while I do like my overdrive, I would consider it unnecessary with a 2L. (I have a mutt with a 2.25). All of the series rovers in my family used to have EI, but with the non stop issues we've all reverted back to points. (that's not to say I don't have friends who swear by them).

That's interesting.

I do have the stock front seats in the Series. I put a piece of canvas over them to cover up the rips, but they are good enough.

The overdrive came with the truck. It's a Fairey, and I find it noisy. I need to learn more about it.

What issues have you had with EI? I know lots of people who have replaced points with EI, but never heard of anyone going the other way...

Sleam

Explorer
I loved the overdrive in my 59 and miss it in my 72. One of these days I'll try to find a good deal on one in the US and install it (have someone install it I mean). It made the highway drive much easier on us all, like being in fifth or something unheard of. It also helped locally up the hills to get home, a between gear when going up in third but not quite ready to downshift to second.
Do you have any recent photos Ray? I'd love to see some. Keep us posted okay? You're an inspiration.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Sleam, FYI. Ray has a series Roamerdrive for sale. Brand new with warranty. I think its only $1k USD. That is a steep price but cheap considering the quality of part you are getting.

I can't imagine my 109 without an overdrive. To get anywhere in the southeast, let alone this city, you gotta use the interstates. Without the overdrive, using my 109 would be impossible.

slcrover

That's interesting.

I do have the stock front seats in the Series. I put a piece of canvas over them to cover up the rips, but they are good enough.

The overdrive came with the truck. It's a Fairey, and I find it noisy. I need to learn more about it.

What issues have you had with EI? I know lots of people who have replaced points with EI, but never heard of anyone going the other way...

The EI was sweet when it worked... But having it not start at completely random times was stressful. At least with points you can limp back. Every truck I've ridden in with a Fairey definitely required noise canceling headphones! I swear I can still feel that screaming noise resonating in my skull to this day.. We ended up just switching to Roverdrives for the most part. But like I said, I have a 2.25 in my 86" and the overdrive really only gets me to somewhere around 63...... On a flat..... With a tail wind. Though the use as a gear splitter can be convenient.

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
I said, I have a 2.25 in my 86" and the overdrive really only gets me to somewhere around 63...... On a flat..... With a tail wind. Though the use as a gear splitter can be convenient.

My SIII gets about 50 mph comfortably and 55+ downhill. Maybe I just wimp out because of the noise though?

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yeah the extra noise is a bit more. However the higher cruising speed means I get there quicker so less exposure.

But yes, noise canceling earphones bring all kinds of win in a series.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Sleam, FYI. Ray has a series Roamerdrive for sale. Brand new with warranty. I think its only $1k USD. That is a steep price but cheap considering the quality of part you are getting.

I can't imagine my 109 without an overdrive. To get anywhere in the southeast, let alone this city, you gotta use the interstates. Without the overdrive, using my 109 would be impossible.

I think Max means Ray Wood who owns Roamerdrive (formerly Roverdrive).

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles