A family camping trip in a series 1

James86004

Expedition Leader
You are going to need contacts around the world anyway, so now would have been the perfect time to establish a relationship with someone in the UK to purchase it and then ship it on to you. Usually you can return the favor at some point for equally stupid reasons.

I agree. I have done exactly that through the Series 2 club forum - folks were happy to ship things to me because they liked the photos I posted of our IIA in the desert. Every once in a while someone wants something from the US so I pay it forward (or backwards, I've lost track). I get things sent via Royal Mail from the UK as fast as I get things UPS ground from Vermont.

Sleam

Explorer
I agree. I have done exactly that through the Series 2 club forum - folks were happy to ship things to me because they liked the photos I posted of our IIA in the desert. Every once in a while someone wants something from the US so I pay it forward (or backwards, I've lost track). I get things sent via Royal Mail from the UK as fast as I get things UPS ground from Vermont.

Ray, I'm from England and can easily ask my brother to help you out. He currently has a Defender but we grew up with Series. We're from Worcestershire and there is a place north of Droitwich and another in Redditch, both famous for their Landy work. And James, thanks for helping me out a few years ago when I had vapour lock in Flagstaff! I did meet up with Terriann and she helped me give the old beast a tune-up!
s

rlynch356

Defyota
if your in need.. My Brother In Law in converting his Sii-a 109 over to a 3.9 V8 with R380/Lt230.. good proven working Siii tranny with fairy will be up for grabs once we pull it out as well as the 2.25L which runs like a clock.. For being more Hybrid than a prius it's a nice setup.. The 2.25l just can't do the hills when loaded in the 109 and we had most of the bits sitting around :)

Sleam

Explorer
if your in need.. My Brother In Law in converting his Sii-a 109 over to a 3.9 V8 with R380/Lt230.. good proven working Siii tranny with fairy will be up for grabs once we pull it out as well as the 2.25L which runs like a clock.. For being more Hybrid than a prius it's a nice setup.. The 2.25l just can't do the hills when loaded in the 109 and we had most of the bits sitting around :)

Did you say overdrive???

motom

Read both your threads and this will definitely be an adventure...

I love that you are doing it in a SI! Recently read a article in LROI about a family of 7 that did a similar trip so 5 should be easy :)

If this was my trip I would seriously consider a SIII engine. Someone else mentioned this too but parts for SI are getting difficult to come by. In the spirit of such a trip I think relying on help along the way is only natural, but also that you have to be realistic about what is available. Besides that you seem to have a good plan and plenty of experience, so good luck and looking forward to the updates!

slcrover

Definitely love good headphones! Series 1 stuff is harder to find.... Heavy emphasis on the harder.. It's out there, you just have to know where to look.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Definitely love good headphones! Series 1 stuff is harder to find.... Heavy emphasis on the harder.. It's out there, you just have to know where to look.

Yeah, the more I work on the truck, the more resources I come across. There really are a lot of people supplying almost everything one could want for a series 1.

SheepnJeep

As much as I hate to chime in with vintage jeep info, I'm going to do it anyways :sombrero: (Hey, the creator of the Land Rover was inspired by his surplus jeep!)

I noticed that a few people are going back and forth about overdrives and that you had mentioned yours was very noisy when in use. I checked out rover-overdrives and the principal operation is similar to one you might find on a jeep. Anyways to get to the point, lots of people install overdrives into their jeep and the things just howl. I rode in one not long ago and I thought the thing was going to come through the floor! The main fix for this is to torque all of the fittings properly and use the appropriate shims. Then the overdrive is pretty quiet. Its pretty easy to imagine just bolting the thing on there and going for it without really setting it up properly. Maybe you could find the factory installation manual? Looks like the Fairey Overdrive was Land Rover approved in its day. Just an idea anyways.

Your trip is such a cool idea. I have been plotting a trip in my jeep for a long time, albeit staying in the US for maybe just a month or so. Driving a vintage vehicle is just so satisfying and hard to beat when you make a big trip successfully. I will be following along. Have fun!

tacr2man

Adventurer
That's interesting.

I do have the stock front seats in the Series. I put a piece of canvas over them to cover up the rips, but they are good enough.

The overdrive came with the truck. It's a Fairey, and I find it noisy. I need to learn more about it.

What issues have you had with EI? I know lots of people who have replaced points with EI, but never heard of anyone going the other way...

The overdrive should not be noisy at all , fitted fairey overdrives , years back , one in a RRC 4 speed, and one in a 2a 109 diesel (3.8L) they are advised not to be used in lower gears due to torque loading I used them as a 5th gear and had a trouble free experience with them. In the 109 when it had the 2.286cc diesel I did use it as a splitter in 3rd/4th . Using a good full synthetic oil would be advantageous , they were not available at the time I was using them . HTSH

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
The overdrive should not be noisy at all , fitted fairey overdrives , years back , one in a RRC 4 speed, and one in a 2a 109 diesel (3.8L) they are advised not to be used in lower gears due to torque loading I used them as a 5th gear and had a trouble free experience with them. In the 109 when it had the 2.286cc diesel I did use it as a splitter in 3rd/4th . Using a good full synthetic oil would be advantageous , they were not available at the time I was using them . HTSH

OK that's good to know. I was thinking of pulling it and putting in a Roamerdrive but that's just because I know the manufacturer and know they make great products. Plus that way I start with a new unit, so I know what I have. I may just pull this off, and have a look inside and see what kind of wear it has. The biggest problem I think is when people forget to put oil in them...

ABCanuck

Adventurer
Is this dream still alive? This might be the trip I was most excited to see documented as we have an old beast we are planning to take our family on long trips with as well. My girls might be partial to AC at least though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogscout

Ditch the generator. When it frags on the trip, you'll never find parts. Switch it out for a simple alternator, that can be rebuilt anywhere. It's getting harder and harder to find generator parts, especially Lucas ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles