A family camping trip in a series 1

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks for inspiring me! I have a SIII here in NM and it broke down every couple hundred miles! Since then, engine rebuild, new clutch system, new cooling, elec fuel pump, and other odds and ends but I lost faith so this is what I needed to read. I'm thinking new leafsprings will help, overdrive. But thats for me. I grew up in UK with Series landrovers as a kid, very little stuff for 3 month camping trips for 4 of us, and sitting was fine, just watch the world go by. Great memories. I can't wait to see more of you stories and photos. Have a great time, S

What a wonderful trip. Good on you. The first overland guys inspired me to get my first land rover so I'll be following this with great interest.

You have a few political hot spots to avoid - not to mention the associated ripples of chaos that bleed into neighbouring countries - what is your plan for the Syria/turkey border and Pakistan? I'm of the option the world isn't as scary as people would make out but it's worth being prepared.

Drove around India in my defender last year - a wonderful country.

Let me know when your in London, I'll give you a send off/take you and the family to the pub.

Oh and if you were doing one modification I'd put an aux fuel tank instead of carrying Jerry cans. Most of Europe doesn't like fuel containers over 10l

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Thanks! We will skip Syria, and go from Turkey to Iran and then Pakistan and India.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Oh and if you were doing one modification I'd put an aux fuel tank instead of carrying Jerry cans. Most of Europe doesn't like fuel containers over 10l
Even if they are empty? I can't see the need to carry extra fuel in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelinLight

Observer
I will look forward to this thread. I just received word from my shipper that my Dormobile is on transport from the west coast on its way to Denver and I want to do similar but for local travel. As my old girl started on Africa I was talking tonight with folks about maybe taking he back for safari, however I will live through you until I have conquered the US first.

Best of luck with your journey.

Bolson

Hey Ray , instead of installing extra tanks under the seat box why not make a rack/ basket that will hold a 10 liter scepter can or 2? under the body ( here's a pic of a water can but the gas/ diesel variety is also available at DS tactical in New West )

th

Oh , Great Idea for an adventure , sounds like lots of fun....

leafsprung

The series one land rover is unlikely to deliver in your search for high adventure. I have found them utterly reliable and capable over many hundreds of thousands of miles of driving. There are far less reliable/capable options if you want a memorable journey full of vehicular hijinx. Maybe a turn of the century french motorcycle with wicker sidecar? You have mentioned many superfluous additions to the car which waste space, make servicing more difficult, or add pointless weight and complexity. Even though with the extra six inches of wheelbase over an 80 inch and the extra power of the 2.0L you should probably be more conservative in your packing.

-alternator - generator is more reliable and easily serviceable with minimal spares.
-electronic ignition - regularly fails and sometimes intermittently - points are easier to troubleshoot and carry spares for
-overdrive - waste of weight and space for extra fluids and spares - if you only plan on going 40 why bother?
-parabolic springs - sag quickly off road, though you won't be getting too far off the main roads and populated areas with only 5 gals fuel
-giant overstuffed seating - huge waste of space and limits access to underseat storage and fuel.
-5 sleeping bags? insane - bring one if you must and split time using it. Those keeping watch should remain alert anyway

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
The series one land rover is unlikely to deliver in your search for high adventure. I have found them utterly reliable and capable over many hundreds of thousands of miles of driving. There are far less reliable/capable options if you want a memorable journey full of vehicular hijinx. Maybe a turn of the century french motorcycle with wicker sidecar? You have mentioned many superfluous additions to the car which waste space, make servicing more difficult, or add pointless weight and complexity. Even though with the extra six inches of wheelbase over an 80 inch and the extra power of the 2.0L you should probably be more conservative in your packing.

-alternator - generator is more reliable and easily serviceable with minimal spares.
-electronic ignition - regularly fails and sometimes intermittently - points are easier to troubleshoot and carry spares for
-overdrive - waste of weight and space for extra fluids and spares - if you only plan on going 40 why bother?
-parabolic springs - sag quickly off road, though you won't be getting too far off the main roads and populated areas with only 5 gals fuel
-giant overstuffed seating - huge waste of space and limits access to underseat storage and fuel.
-5 sleeping bags? insane - bring one if you must and split time using it. Those keeping watch should remain alert anyway

Dammit, you're right, I am bringing too many luxuries. I thought by skipping chairs and a table and making everyone sit and cook in the dirt we were going light, but you are completely correct, too many luxuries.

In fact, we could save the weight of fuel, and just rope our children to the front bumper, dog-sled style.

Now you have me thinking about all sorts of ways to make the trip more memorable, and "character building" for my kids...

All kidding aside, I have an alternator, and will want to charge phones and cameras I'm sure, so that will go with us. The generator would cost more to rebuild than a new alternator anyways.

Electronic ignition is mostly because I am lazy. I don't want to screw around with points.

Overdrive was free, makes the truck quieter, saves fuel.

Parabolics - haven't decided if I will bother with them. One more thing to do before I leave, the stock ones are working, etc.

Comfy seating - critical to have happy kids. They put up with a lot, but 10-18 hours on a seat that sucks makes them pretty grumpy. I know from experience.

Sleeping bags - Actually I use the Thermarest down blankets if it's not too cold. They compress to the size of a small melon.

Any pics of your Series 1s on cool trips? I'd love to see! Sounds like you've had some awesome adventures.

leafsprung

-generator works perfectly fine for recharging phones and cameras - I use the original genny in my 80 to charge and run a GPS receiver and tablet- it also is more durable than some cheapo alternator. Its also easy to oil the bearings and keep it going. Of course it costs more - its better. If that level of expense is an issue for you, it would raise questions about the viability of the trip for you.
-points are less hassle than EI when they fail
-giant seats= less leg room and less interior space = less comfort AND a complete assache to refuel the car and limits access the toolbox
-sell overdrive take proceeds and buy far more fuel than you will save using it and also remove a point of failure and cut down on spares you need to carry.

desert.jpg

David Harris

Expedition Leader
-generator works perfectly fine for recharging phones and cameras - I use the original genny in my 80 to charge and run a GPS receiver and tablet- it also is more durable than some cheapo alternator. Its also easy to oil the bearings and keep it going. Of course it costs more - its better. If that level of expense is an issue for you, it would raise questions about the viability of the trip for you.
-giant seats= less leg room and less interior space = less comfort AND a complete assache to refuel the car and limits access the toolbox
-sell overdrive take proceeds and buy far more fuel than you will save using it and also remove a point of failure and cut down on spares you need to carry.

View attachment 267466

Really nice pic. Love to see the old Landies out there.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader

View attachment 267466

The Alternator I have is from a Range Rover. It's OK. Not worried about it. I've budgeted about $50K in travel costs so yes building a generator isn't going to break the bank, but I don't think I need to worry about it. The alternator is fine. It's reliable. It has lots of power. It's easily replaceable anywhere. I have bigger things to worry about.
If the EI fails I will get another one. I don't expect it to fail. I'd rather deal with that than fiddle with points on a regular basis.
Giant seats are in the back for the kids. Front will be original Series 1 seats.
My wife likes the fact that an overdrive makes the car quieter. Happy wife is worth any price.

Hi,

Me and my husband and four kids age at the time 17, 16, 13 and 10 had been taking the overland journey using our mercedes sprinter motorhome from The UK to Malaysia. We depart from north east of england on 13th July 2013 and reach border Thailand- Malaysia on 14 december 2013.

We not fully prepare and our motorhome is not overland type, but we made it. I do hope I can share some of my experience with you. We been rob twice in Iran. Nevertheless, it was an experince journey and great learning for my kids. Although it has been tough time living in small space with 3 teenager!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier