A Week in the Heart of the Appalachian Mountains: West Virginia & Pennsylvania

msoverland

Your thread inspired me to take the wife next weekend to the cass railroad. Any chance you would be willing to share your gps tracks? Would love to hit a few of them, and finding information seems hard part the caanan loop and that area (which I have run before, look for an older post I made... But I would love to find some more tracks)

10 4 - If we can help you out Nater, holler! All our routes interconnect and we're taking off this weekend to map out our MSO Route 4 and film Episode 7 this weekend. Cheers!

nater

Adventurer
Just looked on your website and see the gps tracks. Now I just need to figure out which track is best for me and this trip. As a note, I just traded the 4runner for a new fj, so I'm stock for the next few weeks. I'm off to go check your videos now!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Just looked on your website and see the gps tracks. Now I just need to figure out which track is best for me and this trip. As a note, I just traded the 4runner for a new fj, so I'm stock for the next few weeks. I'm off to go check your videos now!

For what its worth I did Route 1 (shown here in the trip report ) in a basically stock Xterra so would have no issues with an FJ. If I were to do route 1 again I might split it up over one more night and take a bit more time at some of the stops, but its easily doable in the time give .

drew7997

Here is a picture of the route they set up for us: 350 miles over three days mostly through Monongahela National Forest

MSO Route 2_zpsmmyuycyq.jpg

DO you have a close up view of that map? I am not looking for GPX points, just wanting the general area/roads. I love that part of WV and always enjoyed it as a kid when visiting.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
DO you have a close up view of that map? I am not looking for GPX points, just wanting the general area/roads. I love that part of WV and always enjoyed it as a kid when visiting.

Unfortunately I do not, I was sent that picture by Mountain State Overland, that is the highest resolution I have

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Did you find any portions harder than others?

Yes, it was a nice mix of technical and scenic actually (often both combined!)

The first day is the most technical if my memory serves. The last bit is forest roads but still great places to explore once you get down towards Cass and the scenic railroad etc.

Its a pretty good push to finish it all in the time they have recommended, if you aren't looking for a fast pace then I would take an extra day to do it, its feasible but if you want to stop and explore it doesn't leave a lot of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior