Battery

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I think I may have a Red Top Optima failing in my FJ Cruiser after just about 18 months. I'm hearing that this may an all-too-common issue with the Red Tops. Anybody with a similar issue?

I'm thinking about replacing it with an Interstate. Anybody with feedback on them?

Friggin_Fuego

There's an Optima Red Top that's been in my 2004 4Runner for 2 1/2 years with no issues. Although, I've heard the same issues with the Red Top. Seems like their batteries are hit and miss and quality has been downhill the last several years. I wouldn't buy another Optima Red Top.

robert

Expedition Leader
I had two fail on me several years ago and I know of a couple of others including one my uncle had. My Tacoma currently has a Diehard in it; next battery will be an Odyssey. The VW had an Interstate in it that had been there for probably seven years with no issues.

hackopt

I would get the die hard platinum.

Here we go. Another epic battery thread, with comments as well as links i predict.

My opinion, the diehard platinum, same as odyssey. Warranty 48mt full replacement, 100mth prorated. ******.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
A long time ago I had an absolutely horrible series of experiences with Die Hard batteries and can never bring myself back to them.

I hear good things about the Interstates.

The Red Top may be fine but I no longer trust it.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Here we go. Another epic battery thread, with comments as well as links i predict.

My opinion, the diehard platinum, same as odyssey. Warranty 48mt full replacement, 100mth prorated. ******.

Same opinion here. Red Top in my 4runner lasted 2 years in mild calif temps. Replaced with platinum diehard-no complaints.

Just bought one for my Tundra, since my current battery is starting to slip.

Last edited:

Ar_Davis

I pretty much exclusively install interstates at work and Almost never see an issue. Optima on the other hand is hit and miss. I believe interstate is releasing a dry cell. Maybe worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nely

Adventurer
Exide makes replacement agm batteries. Im running 2 in my diesel van. No problems what so ever. Even had my 63qt arb fridge on for 2 days without starting it. Cranked over just fine.

Installed them in 3 other frinds cars and convinced another to go with them for his f250

Check them out. I got no complaints so far.

Abqlloyd

Any good battery from the big companies will last as long as any other brand if maintained.

Die Hard batteries are made by the same company who manufactures Optima batteries - Johnson Controls.

Exide, JC, East Penn and a couple others own or brand dozens of different companies.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That's why we were suggesting the platinum, its made by odyssey. Its the best bang for buck IMO.
Any good battery from the big companies will last as long as any other brand if maintained.

Die Hard batteries are made by the same company who manufactures Optima batteries - Johnson Controls.

Exide, JC, East Penn and a couple others own or brand dozens of different companies.

Naptown

Observer
Diehard batteries used to be made by Interstate. Now, they are made by several different companies, depending on the model line. Diehard Platinum is produced by Enersys, who makes the Odyssey line of batteries. I've had a Diehard Platinum Group 35 in my FJ for a year now with no issues. It's rated at 850CCA. When I purchased it, I tested it with my Newmar Digital Battery Analyzer. It tested at over 1200CCA, impressive to me. Batteries always test about 20% higher when new, but this was obviously much higher than that.

There's also the Duracell AGM line at Sam's Club. It's a re-badged Deka Intimidator AGM, which is made by East-Penn. These have the best "Bang For Your Buck" of any AGM Group 31 I've ever experienced. I believe they are $189/each. Put 4 of the Group 31's in a customer's boat this spring. Didn't test them, but one of them powered two 200a thrusters without issue. No scientific stuff here, but in a couple years of experience with these thrusters, I was impressed with how well they handled the load and took a good amount of time berfore they faded.

There's also a fairly new company called Northstar Batteries. From what I understand, it's a couple guys that broke away from Enersys or Odyssey, which is why they use the same housing(purchasing from the same source). Don't know much about them yet, but from what I've hear, they are similar the Odyssey

Anyhow, just my .02 Cents. YMMV

Abqlloyd

A $80 battery that isn't maintained is a better bang for the buck than a $200 battery that isn't maintained.

I've got a couple Group 31 X2 AGM's that are five years old and still perform. They've been maintained. I also have a WM wet cell that's about the same age that still performs. It was about $70. AGM batteries still require periodic charging and maintenance. Geography also plays a huge role. Leaving a battery in the RV or trailer over a brutal winter or extreme heat will kill even the best battery faster.

ripperj

Explorer
The only battery I have had issues with is factory Toyota, had 3 replaced under warrantee, two because they failed, one because the tech put the replacement in backwards and crushed the cell caps with the retaining bracket( you would have thought he would notice this as the cell cap was deformed so much that it popped out :))

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior