Utah M416a1 trailer slow build

cruisertoy

Explorer
These darn trailers seem to be getting rarer than hens teeth but perseverance pays off. I ended up picking up a local M416a1 this last week for a sweet price. Other than a little surface rust and some desperate need for a little PM, she is in great shape. I didn't need any project right now but I couldn't pass it up. I took an hour Saturday and cleaned and re-greased the wheel bearing. I noticed that each hub had two different sizes of bearing. Having done a little research on m416 trailers I thought all four were the same size. What little info I found on the A1 is that it had the larger bearings for additional cargo capacity??

The A1 also came with Surge brakes. The mechanicals are all there but the surge piston looks to have been dry for 10 years. Are surge brakes worth having on this small of a trailer? I'm planning on keeping the parking brake and thus the axle. My guess is that the brake pistons are shot as well. Any thoughts?

I did a little searching but frankly I just couldn't find many post about people keeping the parking brake. I need to run 285's on this trailer to match my 80. I'll mill a set of wheel stud adapters for the pattern change. Are people doing a spring over on the original axles in order to clear bigger tires? I know I'll have to extend the parking brake rod to reach.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
If it is not working I would ditch the surge coupler.
keep the parking brake and spring over the axle.
Nice looking trailer.

You could sell the Surge lunette on a military site but it has been altered and may not be desired.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Thanks you guys. The original tongue has been removed and the 2" ball welded on so your probably right in it not being worth much.

I love taking the wife and my 4 kids camping because I usually get to buy new equipment after the trip. I've got one of the original "Car Top Tents" Mombasa from about 7 years ago. it's only been used a dozen times as it's been a pain to put on the roof rack. My plan is to keep things basic. Sand blast and paint everything, get the electrical working, extend the tongue with some sort of rotating coupler... I'm a design engineer at a major Hot Tub manufacturing company and I've got a mold shop here at work. I may cnc cut a lid mold and either vacuum form ABS or fiberglass a lid. We will see how much time and energy I have. Nothing will happen too quickly beyond getting her road worthy as I have a house addition I need to start and I'm coaching soccer.

E Dr. P

Observer
The surge assembly is unique to the m416a1, but the internal parts and lunette itself are the same as m101a2s and a3s and are easily obtained. Its worth something to somebody, especially since the tongue is often removed or altered (in an way that can't be fixed unlike yours).

Nice trailer.

Box Rocket

Trent I have a set of 3 Goodyear MTRs that came off my tacoma that would be sweet for your trailer. They've got about 40% tread left on them so there's lots of life left.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Thanks Adam. I'll have to measure things a little more and let you know. I really want to keep the stock axle so the hand brake works. Tonight I did a quick measurement and am thinking by the time I use an adapter to go from 5 lugs to 6 for the landcruiser, the lc rim backspacing, the 285's are going to be 6" past the fenders. Any 80 series guys use the stock axle and convert to 6 lugs?

Box Rocket

Width is gonna be an issue regardless if you go with bigger tires. Pretty common practice to widen the stock fenders or rebuild them completely. Either way, let me know.

d126167d3c04e3269ba987d9375a7dff.jpg
. I did the SOA on my 1943MBT and increased my clearance by 10".
c948ba2285853a8154699b319c3cf699.jpg
. Here is a pic of my wheel adapters going from 5.5 to 5 to match my JK pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94